Do You Really Think Visually Impaired People Can Be Racist?

<h2>Do You Really Think Visually Impaired People Can Be Racist?</h2>

Blind%20people.jpg

People who can see this beautiful world tend to misuse its true nature and sometimes conduct the repugnant act of discrimination. Sighted people instinctually categorize other people by race, according to research presented at the 110th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association in Chicago, but blind people do not do this. “The visual process of assigning race is instantaneous, and it’s an example of automatic thinking — it happens below the level of awareness,” Asia Friedman, who conducted the research, stated in a press release.

"With blind people," she added, “the process is much slower as they piece together information about a person over time. Their thinking is deliberative rather than automatic, and even after they've categorized someone by race, they're often not certain that they're correct." Friedman, an assistant professor of sociology at the University of Delaware, interviewed 25 blind people to determine how they recognize others. Visually impaired takes time to recognize an individual and only understand them after having a long interaction with them. They understand people through lengthier conversations and usually use other senses like touch and hearing.

"Many of my subjects said they thought that being blind made them less likely to develop stereotypes," Friedman said. Interviews revealed that, however, they do not define race on the basis of appearance but, there are people who holds strong cultural roots. So, they usually take time to make any conclusion based on appearance or race.

joel.francis.7351

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I think stereotype can be developed regardless of the vision of a person because its not the vision but the conditioning of the brain that develops it.