ManagementParadise.com : Worlds Leading Management Portal. MBA | Classroom, Boardroom and Beyond

Go Back   ManagementParadise.com Forums - Your MBA Online Degree Program and Management Students Forum for MBA,BMS, MMS, BMM, BBA, students & aspirants. > Management Students Voices ( MBA,BMS,MMS,BMM,BBA) > International MBA > TOEFL

TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 221-230

Discuss TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 221-230 within the TOEFL forums, part of the International MBA category; TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 221-230 Time: 7 minutes 221. The farther an object from the surface of a planet, ______ ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Advertisements
Old
 (1 (permalink))
navin_c
navin_c will become famous soon enoughnavin_c will become famous soon enough

navin_c

Institute: v.e.s college
Wink TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 221-230 - September 29th, 2008

Time: 7 minutes

221. The farther an object from the surface of a planet, ______ .

it weighs the lesser
the less it weights
the less its weight
it weighs less

222. Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in northern part of the state on the Willamette River.

the
seat
northern
on

223. Erin Billy won the Lucise Prize of poetry in 1991 for the poem Crashing Alone.

won
of
for
the poem

224. All architectural structures are designed to bear their own weight, ______ .

as well as that of the people and objects that use them
also the people and objects that are using them
but the people and objects that use them
additionally the people and objects that are used by them

225. According to all findings to date, the known universe consists almost entirely of the hydrogen.

findings
to date
known
the hydrogen

226.The failures of a scientist, while often at first thought disastrous, are often as important than her successes.

failures
at first thought
as
successes

227. An overly detailed ______ of the characters and setting of a novel can sometimes distract from the narrative quality of a short story.

describe
descriptive
describing
description

228. Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Johnson, is best known for her works of prose and poetries.

born
for
works
poetries

229. Canadian Louis Stephen St. Laurent was among the first ______ the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

who was suggested the organization of countries that would later become
to suggest the organization of countries that would later become
people suggesting the countries organization that later became
of them to suggest the organization of countries to later become

230. The function of a biologist is both to describe organisms in minute detail also to understand why they behave as they do.

a biologist
in minute detail
also
as they do

source:test magic
Advertisements

CHECK OUT USEFUL INFO ON ALL UNIVERSITIES AROUND THE GLOBE VISIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PLS PRESS THANKS BUTTON IF U LIKED MY POST.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Friends: (5)
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Re: TOEFL Structure Questions-ANSWERS
Old
 (2 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile Re: TOEFL Structure Questions-ANSWERS - September 29th, 2008

ANSWERS
The best answers look like this.

221. The farther an object from the surface of a planet, ______ .

it weighs the lesser
the less it weights
the less its weight
it weighs less

The best answer is C. Read the explanation here.

222. Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in northern part of the state on the Willamette River.

the
seat
northern
on

223. Erin Billy won the Lucise Prize of poetry in 1991 for the poem Crashing Alone.

won
of
for
the poem

The best answer is B. Read the explanation here.

224. All architectural structures are designed to bear their own weight, ______ .

as well as that of the people and objects that use them
also the people and objects that are using them
but the people and objects that use them
additionally the people and objects that are used by them

The best answer is A. Read the explanation here.

225. According to all findings to date, the known universe consists almost entirely of the hydrogen.

findings
to date
known
the hydrogen

The best answer is D. Read the explanation here.

226.The failures of a scientist, while often at first thought disastrous, are often as important than her successes.

failures
at first thought
as
successes

227. An overly detailed ______ of the characters and setting of a novel can sometimes distract from the narrative quality of a short story.

describe
descriptive
describing
description

228. Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Johnson, is best known for her works of prose and poetries.

born
for
works
poetries

229. Canadian Louis Stephen St. Laurent was among the first ______ the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

who was suggested the organization of countries that would later become
to suggest the organization of countries that would later become
people suggesting the countries organization that later became
of them to suggest the organization of countries to later become

The best answer is B. Read the explanation here.

230. The function of a biologist is both to describe organisms in minute detail also to understand why they behave as they do.

a biologist
in minute detail
also
as they do

TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 001-010
Old
 (3 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Question TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 001-010 - September 29th, 2008

TOEFL Structure Questions-Start Test 001-010

Start of Test

Because of the enormous pull gravitational of the Moon, the shape of the Earth actually changes as the largest oceans are "pulled" toward the Moon.

Because of
pull gravitational
as
toward

Only with the advent of refrigerator were most Americans able to begin to consume fresh meat.

refrigerator
were
to begin
meat

Although ______ a successful film, none of her other works have to date been adapted to the film format.

The Joy Luck Club is best known novel by Amy Tan was made into
The Joy Luck Club was made into a film by Amy Tanís best known
Amy Tanís best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, was made into
Amy Tanís best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made

The gross domestic product of a country is a figure expressed in monetary terms that represents the entire economy value of the goods and services produced in that country.

a figure
expressed
economy
goods

In addition to the more traditional simple oven many ______ either by circulating heated air around the food or by heating the moisture contained in the food with microwaves, and a few do both.

functioning modern ovens
modern ovens that function
modern ovens function
the function of modern ovens

One of the first state of the United States, Rhode Island is the smallest of all the states and is located north of the largest city in the United States, New York City.

state
the smallest
is located
north

Critical to understand the phenomenon of human intelligence is the notion that not all human thought patterns are either predictable or rational.

understand
not all
are
or

The advent of the personal computer and easy access to information via the Internet has allowed many more entrepreneurs ______ than ever before.

to open home-based businesses
who open home-based businesses
opening businesses home-based
base at home their business

Deciduous trees are those who have leaves that fall off once a year, typically before the advent of winter.

who
once a year
typically
winter

______ "orca" means whale, the orca is actually a member of the dolphin family, the delphinids.

That
Why
While
It is

Re: TOEFL Structure Questions- Test 001-010 Answers
Old
 (4 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile Re: TOEFL Structure Questions- Test 001-010 Answers - September 29th, 2008

Answers

1. Because of the enormous pull gravitational of the Moon, the shape of the Earth actually changes as the largest oceans are "pulled" toward the Moon.

Because of
pull gravitational
Correction: gravitational pull.

In this case, pull is a noun (it means attraction) even though we usually use pull as a verb. gravitational is an adjective. Therefore, we need this pattern: adjective + noun.
as
toward

2. Only with the advent of refrigerator were most Americans able to begin to consume fresh meat.

refrigerator
Correction: refrigeration.

First, we need a noun here because of is a preposition. refrigerator is a noun, but it is the wrong form of the noun. A refrigerator is the machine that we have in our kitchens to keep food cold. In this case, we should use the noun that refers to the technology.
were
to begin
meat

3. Although ______ a successful film, none of her other works have to date been adapted to the film format.

The Joy Luck Club is best known novel by Amy Tan was made into
The Joy Luck Club was made into a film by Amy Tanís best known
Amy Tanís best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, was made into

In this case, we need a sentence after the subordinating conjunction Although. In this case, the sentence is novel was made.
Amy Tanís best known novel, The Joy Luck Club, made

4. The gross domestic product of a country is a figure expressed in monetary terms that represents the entire economy value of the goods and services produced in that country.

a figure
expressed
economy
Correction: economic

We need the adjective form here to modify the noun value. economy is a noun.
goods

5. In addition to the more traditional simple oven many ______ either by circulating heated air around the food or by heating the moisture contained in the food with microwaves, and a few do both.

functioning modern ovens
modern ovens that function
modern ovens function

We need a main subject and a main verb in this sentence.
the function of modern ovens

6. One of the first state of the United States, Rhode Island is the smallest of all the states and is located north of the largest city in the United States, New York City.

state
Correction: states

We need the plural form of state here because we are talking about more than one state.
the smallest
is located
north

7. Critical to understand the phenomenon of human intelligence is the notion that not all human thought patterns are either predictable or rational.

understand
Correction: understanding

This is a tricky one! In this case to is a preposition, it is not part of the infinitive. Therefore, we should have a noun after to. Here's a similar example: dedicated to. to is a preposition, so we should have a noun after to. For example, we can say: I am dedicated to my family. Right? Now, what if I want to use the idea of a verb after dedicated to? For example, what if I want to say that I like to help my family? Then I would say I am dedicated to helping my family. I cannot say I am dedicated to XhelpX my family since to needs a noun after it and help is not a noun. Many of my students think this is one of the hardest grammar points to remember, so I have a sentence for them to memorize to help them remember this grammar pattern:

Mother Theresa dedicated her life to helping the poor.
not all
are
or

8. The advent of the personal computer and easy access to information via the Internet has allowed many more entrepreneurs ______ than ever before.

to open home-based businesses

After the verb allow we should use the infinitive form. For example, she allowed me to use her car.
who open home-based businesses
opening businesses home-based
base at home their business

9. Deciduous trees are those who have leaves that fall off once a year, typically before the advent of winter.

who
Correction: that

We should only use who for people, or sometimes, for such animals as pets.
once a year
typically
winter

10. ______ "orca" means whale, the orca is actually a member of the dolphin family, the delphinids.

That
Why
While

We need a subordinating conjunction to show contrast here. In other words, we need to use a word that means even though or despite the fact that.
It is

TOEFL Structure Underlines -Start Test 011-020
Old
 (5 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile TOEFL Structure Underlines -Start Test 011-020 - September 29th, 2008

TOEFL Structure Underlines -Start Test 011-020

Each question of this type has one grammar mistake. Choose the underlined portion that has the mistake.

Example:

I are tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

In this case, we should choose (A) since I are tired is incorrect; the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.
Blanks

For this type of question, choose the answer choice that best completes the sentence.

Example:

I ______ tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

In this case, we should choose (C) since the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.

Start Test

Located in the upper part of the hind shanks of the greyhound [are] the overdeveloped and powerful thigh muscles [enabling] it to make short, [yet] powerful sprints [in race].

are
enabling
yet
in race

______ second in size to Jupiter, Saturn has a mass much smaller than that of Jupiter.

When
While
Despite
Nevertheless

[Given] the difficulty [of mastering] the subtleties of the violin, there is [not] difficulty understanding why there are few children proficient [in] playing it.

Given
of mastering
not
in

What is known as the Homestead Act of 1862 granted those who ventured westward ______ .

to receive needed and desired land
the land they both needed and desired
needing and desiring land
where they most needed and desired land

Almost ninety per cent of [American] high school [students] claim they know [how to read], yet this figure is probably [somewhat lower].

American
students
how to read
somewhat lower

From the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans ______ all forms of life now inhabiting the earth.

evolved
had evolved
evolve
evolving

Zirconium is [a] [metallic element] with a high [melting] point that is widely [used] alloys.

a
metallic element
melting
used

______ is the earthquake that is most widely remembered, it was actually the fire that ensued that caused the most damage in San Francisco in 1906.

It
Being that
Although
Whereas it

After the Gold Rush in California in 1849 came [dramatically] higher number of [immigrants] than [had been] [seen in] the previous year.

dramatically
immigrants
had been
seen in

[Architect and founder] of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson [built] his house Monticello [overlooking] the campus [in] Charlottesville, Virginia.

Architect and founder
built
overlooking

Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines - Answers 011-020
Old
 (6 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines - Answers 011-020 - September 29th, 2008

Answers

TOEFL Structure: #011-020

Located in the upper part of the hind shanks of the greyhound [are] the overdeveloped and powerful thigh muscles [enabling] it to make short, [yet] powerful sprints [in race].

are
enabling
yet
in race

Correction: in a race or in races

Difficulty level: Medium

* TestMagic Explanation: A singular count noun with no determiner is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

012. ______ second in size to Jupiter, Saturn has a mass much smaller than that of Jupiter.

When
While

Difficulty level: Medium

* TestMagic Explanation: First, we have a reduced adverb clause here. The original clause would be While it is second in size to Jupiter. Second, we need to show contrast between being second in size (which sounds like it is close in size) and having a much smaller mass. In other words, from the sentence, it sounds like Saturn is similar in size (even though it is not in reality) but much smaller in mass.

Despite
Nevertheless

013. [Given] the difficulty [of mastering] the subtleties of the violin, there is [not] difficulty understanding why there are few children proficient [in] playing it.

Given
of mastering
not

Correction: no or not any

Difficulty level: Hard

* TestMagic Explanation: This is a hard one! Basically, since difficulty is a noun, we can only use a determiner with it, or we can change the sentence to not any difficulty. Remember, no = not any. Are you starting to see how important determiners are?

in

014. What is known as the Homestead Act of 1862 granted those who ventured westward ______ .

to receive needed and desired land
the land they both needed and desired

* TestMagic Explanation: Essentially, granted is a transitive verb that needs to objects (a direct object and an indirect object), just like the verb gave. In this case, the two objects are those and the land.

needing and desiring land
where they most needed and desired land

015. Almost ninety per cent of [American] high school [students] claim they know [how to read], yet this figure is probably [somewhat lower].

American

Correction: all American

* TestMagic Explanation: This is a tough one! I bet if you show it to a native speaker of English, she might not be able to notice that there's anything wrong. And, in fact, maybe this question would be too hard for the real TOEFL, but I thought it would be good to put it on here, at least to teach you the rule.

So, here's the rule:

quantifier + of + determiner + NOUN

If we look at these examples, we can see the grammar rule very clearly:

most of the people, NOT X most of people X

half of my money, NOT X half of money X

students
how to read
somewhat lower

016. From the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans ______ all forms of life now inhabiting the earth.

evolved

* TestMagic Explanation: We have inversion in this sentence. Click the link to see why this sentence has inversion and what other types of inversion are possible. Here's what the original sentence would look like:

All forms of life now inhabiting the earth evolved from the simplest single-cell organism floating in prehistoric oceans .

had evolved
evolve
evolving

017. Zirconium is [a] [metallic element] with a high [melting] point that is widely [used] alloys.

a
metallic element
melting
used

Correction: used in

* TestMagic Explanation: If you study at TestMagic, you will learn why we need a preposition after used, but it takes a little while to explain. I think this one is easier to understand just by seeing the correction.

018. ______ is the earthquake that is most widely remembered, it was actually the fire that ensued that caused the most damage in San Francisco in 1906.

It
Being that
Although
Whereas it

* TestMagic Explanation: This one is hard not because of the grammar but because of the vocabulary. Whereas means although, both of which are adverb clause subordinating conjunctions.

019. After the Gold Rush in California in 1849 came [dramatically] higher number of [immigrants] than [had been] [seen in] the previous year.

dramatically

Correction: a dramatically

* TestMagic Explanation: Remember, if you see a singular count noun with no determiner, it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. In this case, number is the singular count noun with no determiner. Why is this one so hard? Simple--the underline is so far from the singular count noun; by the time we get to the singular count noun, we've already forgotten!

immigrants
had been
seen in

020. [Architect and founder] of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson [built] his house Monticello [overlooking] the campus [in] Charlottesville, Virginia.

Architect and founder
built
overlooking

Correction: to overlook

* TestMagic Explanation: In this case, we need to use the infinitive of purpose to explain why Thomas Jefferson built his house. Some TestMagic students have pointed out that overlooking is grammatically correct. Yes, this is true; it is grammatically correct, but the meaning is completely wrong. If we say overlooking, then it means that the house was already overlooking the campus of the University of Virginia, which is impossible since the house didn't exist before it was built!

Are you wondering why Architect and founder don't need determiners? They are, after all, singular count nouns, right? Yes, in fact, they are, but determiners are optional with certain job titles.

in

TOEFL Structure Underlines:start test 021-030
Old
 (7 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile TOEFL Structure Underlines:start test 021-030 - September 29th, 2008

TOEFL Structure Underlines:start test 021-030

Each question of this type has one grammar mistake. Choose the underlined portion that has the mistake.

Example:

I are tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) are
(B) but
(C) will
(D) anyway

In this case, we should choose (A) since I are tired is incorrect; the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.
Blanks

For this type of question, choose the answer choice that best completes the sentence.

Example:

I ______ tired, but I will study anyway.

(A) is
(B) being
(C) am
(D) to be

In this case, we should choose (C) since the sentence should read I am tired, but I will study anyway.

Start Test

[Born] Marguerite Johnson in 1928, [author and poet] Maya Angelou has received [awards numerous] for her [works], including Grammy Awards in 1994 and 1996.

Born
author and poet
awards numerous
works

022. Modern psychological theory allows [for] the concept of [free will], a [recent relatively] development [in] this field.

for
free will
recent relatively
in

023. One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist, the quark is believed to exist in pairs, together forming a hadron.

what was the
what the
those of the
the

024. The first [years] of one's education are thought [to provide] the [basic] of one's ability [to learn] in later years.

years
to provide
basic
to learn

025. Most wood will float in water, but if it is ______ , it will sink.

dense enough
so dense that
enough dense
density

026. Nationwide elections are [held] in the United States every four years, [primarily] [choosing] public officials for the [offices] of president and vice-president.

held
primarily
choosing
offices

027. ______ are contained in DNA, the complex chemical mixture that determines the hereditary characteristics of an organism.

The genes
The genes that
Although the genes
There are genes

028. Although some species are among [the smallest] of all mammals, the shrew is known [as preying] [on] other animals [twice] its size.

the smallest
as preying
on
twice

029. Born in 1924, Shirley Chisholm became ______ elected to the Congress of the United States.

the first African-American woman who
the first African-American woman to be
first African-American woman who was
the first African-American woman to

030. The three-toed sloth [moves] so slowly [that] its movements from one place [to] another are [imperceptible practically].

moves
that
to
imperceptible practically

Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines:test ANSWERS 021-030
Old
 (8 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Smile Re: TOEFL Structure Underlines:test ANSWERS 021-030 - September 29th, 2008

ANSWERS

TOEFL Structure: #021-030

[Born] Marguerite Johnson in 1928, [author and poet] Maya Angelou has received [awards numerous] for her [works], including Grammy Awards in 1994 and 1996.

Born
author and poet
awards numerous

* Level of Difficulty: Easy
* Correction: numerous awards
* Magic Explanation: This one is simple to explain--we need the adjective before the noun. This one is tricky because in some languages the adjective comes after the noun. In this case, numerous is an adjective and awards is a noun. A simple example of this rule is the phrase little house.

works

022. Modern psychological theory allows [for] the concept of [free will], a [recent relatively] development [in] this field.

for
free will
recent relatively

* Level of Difficulty: Easy
* Correction: relatively recent
* Magic Explanation: In English, when an adverb modifies an adjective, the adverb must come before the adjective. A simple example of this rule is the phrase very delicious. In this case, relatively is an adverb, and it modifies the adjective recent.

in

023. One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist, the quark is believed to exist in pairs, together forming a hadron.

what was the
what the
those of the
the

* Level of Difficulty: Medium
* Magic Explanation: This sentence already has a main subject and main verb, so we don't need to look at that part of the sentence. We need only look at the first part:

One of ______ smallest particles thought to exist

In this case, we are only missing the determiner the; we cannot add anything else. We can see a simple example of this pattern in the phrase One of the best ways...

024. The first [years] of one's education are thought [to provide] the [basic] of one's ability [to learn] in later years.

years

* Some people think years is wrong because they learn that the word first must modify a singular noun. This is not true. It is very easy to use first to describe a group. For example, we could say The first people I met in the United States were very friendly. When we have first + plural noun, it means the first ones.
to provide
basic
* Correction: basis
* Magic Explanation: Here, we need a noun, basis. basic is an adjective, so it is wrong. This one is tricky because in some languages (like Portuguese) the word for the noun basis is very similar to the English adjective basic.

to learn

025. Most wood will float in water, but if it is ______ , it will sink.

dense enough

* Magic Explanation: The general rule is:

adjective + enough

or

enough + noun

In this case, dense is an adjective.

so dense that
enough dense
density

026. Nationwide elections are [held] in the United States every four years, [primarily] [choosing] public officials for the [offices] of president and vice-president.

held
primarily
choosing

* Level of Difficulty: Difficult
* Correction: to choose
* Magic Explanation: In this case, we need to use the infinitive to explain why the nationwide elections are held. A simple example of this pattern would be the sentence: Music is played in stores to make people happy.

offices

027. ______ are contained in DNA, the complex chemical mixture that determines the hereditary characteristics of an organism.

The genes

* Magic Explanation: We are missing a main subject in this sentence, nothing more. The second part of the sentence, the complex chemical mixture... is a reduced adjective clause that modifies DNA.

The genes that

* If we choose this answer, we have no main verb.
Although the genes
* If we choose this answer, we have no main verb.
There are genes
* This answer is almost correct, but we would have to say There are genes that

028. Although some species are among [the smallest] of all mammals, the shrew is known [as preying] [on] other animals [twice] its size.

the smallest
as preying

* Correction: to prey
* Magic Explanation: To answer this question correctly, we need to understand the difference between known as, known for, and known to do something. Click here to learn more!

on
twice

029. Born in 1924, Shirley Chisholm became ______ elected to the Congress of the United States.

the first African-American woman who
the first African-American woman to be

* Magic Explanation: This is a very common pattern on the TOEFL; you should memorize it. Here's the pattern:

the first + NOUN + to do something

Here's a simple sentence to help you remember the pattern:

You are the first person to tell me that I am funny.

first African-American woman who was
the first African-American woman to

030. The three-toed sloth [moves] so slowly [that] its movements from one place [to] another are [imperceptible practically].

moves
that
to
imperceptible practically

* Correction: practically imperceptible
* Magic Explanation: In English, when an adverb modifies an adjective, the adverb must come before the adjective. A simple example of this rule is the phrase very delicious. In this case, practically is an adverb, and it modifies the adjective imperceptible.

TOEFL Structure Questions, 030-040
Old
 (9 (permalink))
navin_c

navin_c

Arrow TOEFL Structure Questions, 030-040 - September 29th, 2008

TOEFL Structure Questions, 030-040

Start Test

1. A lunar eclipse is a phenomenon occurring when the Earth blocks Sun's light from the Moon.

A
occurring when
Sun's
from the

2. ______ are most mammals able to receive the most information about what is happening in their immediate environment.

Because they use sight
By means of sight
With the sights
Using sight

3. The Consumer Price Index in the United States ______ the inflation rate.

as the primary indicates
is the indication primarily
primarily indicates of
is a primary indicator of

4. Some of the most influential works in twentieth-century American classical music were composed in the period between the first and the fifth decade.

works
were
and
decade

5. Although the grammar of the English language is chiefly derived ______ Germanic languages, some 80% of its vocabulary comes from Latin.

for
from
with
of

6. On the land or in the sea, carrion creatures have adapted to feed by any type of food that is available in their habitat.

On
have adapted
by
is available

7. The brightest point seen in the night sky is typically not a star but Venus, it is the second planet from the Sun.

seen in
typically
it is
the Sun

8. Information technology is quickly becoming the most important economic export ______.

in certain geographical areas
for area that are geographic
in certain areas geographical
of certain geographical area

9. Although originated in tropical Africa, watermelon is now cultivated all over the world.

Although
originated
is now
all over

10. In 1995, Newt Gingrich was sworn ______ Speaker of the House, the first Republican Speaker in more than 40 years.

in as
to be
to
in

Re: TOEFL Structure Questions, Answer-030-040
Old
navin_c

navin_c

Smile Re: TOEFL Structure Questions, Answer-030-040 - September 29th, 2008

Answer

1. A lunar eclipse is a phenomenon occurring when the Earth blocks Sun's light from the Moon.

A
occurring when
Sun's ==> the Sun's

We should memorize this one--use the with Sun.

from the

2. ______ are most mammals able to receive the most information about what is happening in their immediate environment.

Because they use sight
By means of sight

This one's tricky! We need to notice that we have subject-verb inversion, so we must use a structure that requires inversion.

With the sights
Using sight

3. The Consumer Price Index in the United States ______ the inflation rate.

as the primary indicates
is the indication primarily
primarily indicates of
is a primary indicator of

We need a few things: A main verb, correct word order, and correct word form.

4. Some of the most influential works in twentieth-century American classical music were composed in the period between the first and the fifth decade.

works
were
and
decade ==> decades

We are talking about two different decades here, the first one and the fifth one.

5. Although the grammar of the English language is chiefly derived ______ Germanic languages, some 80% of its vocabulary comes from Latin.

for
from

Memorize this! derive + from

with
of

6. On the land or in the sea, carrion creatures have adapted to feed by any type of food that is available in their habitat.

On
have adapted
by

Memorize: feed + on. We should also know the meaning of this word since it appears fairly frequently on the TOEFL: feed on = eat

is available

7. The brightest point seen in the night sky is typically not a star but Venus, it is the second planet from the Sun.

seen in
typically
it is ==> it is (get rid of it!) or which is

Two main sentences with no conjunction to join them.

the Sun

8. Information technology is quickly becoming the most important economic export ______.

in certain geographical areas

Two things: Correct preposition and word order.

for area that are geographic
in certain areas geographical
of certain geographical area

9. Although originated in tropical Africa, watermelon is now cultivated all over the world.

Although
originated ==> originating

The perennial problem: -ing or -ed form??? In this case, we need the -ing form since watermelon is the subject of the verbal originating.

is now
all over

10. In 1995, Newt Gingrich was sworn ______ Speaker of the House, the first Republican Speaker in more than 40 years.

in as

More than 90% of all people who have tried this question have answered it incorrectly, so I'd say this one's pretty darned tricky.

To choose the right answer, we should know the expression to swear somebody in, which refers to the ceremony in which a person (for example, a new president) gives an oath promising that s/he will do a great job! Then, we need to know that we should use the preposition as if we want to mention the position the person is taking. Finally, we need to know how to chance this to passive voice.

to be
to
in