Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna Music Review

In last few years, Bollywood lovers have seen Karan Johar in various 'avatars'. There has been Karan Johar - the producer [Kal Ho Na Ho, Kaal], Karan Johar the story/screenplay writer [Ka Ho Na Ho], Karan Johar - the costume designer [Main Hoon Naa, Veer Zaara] and guess what, even Karan Johar - an actor [Home Delivery]. He has sipped coffee with the biggest of celebrities [Koffee With Karan] and even hosted numerous award functions. But the place where he was missed most was at the director's seat!

4 and half years since the release of his mega blockbuster 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham' [2001], he returns to direction with yet another mammoth extravaganza 'Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna'! No wonder, expectations are simply HUGE from the biggest film of the year that stars the who's who of Bollywood in the form of Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Rani Mukherjee, Preity Zinta, Arjun Rampal and Kirron Kher. With Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and Javed Akhtar pairing up again for the music of 'Kal Ho Na Ho' that rocked the charts for weeks at stretch, it is impossible not to expect the best again.

Because anything less than ordinary is simply unpardonable from a team like KANK!

Karan Johar had taken a risk at the very beginning of 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' by showing Shahrukh Khan grieving over Rani Mukherjee's death. While trade pundits had called it a disastrous approach, the director stuck to his vision and the results were for everyone to be seen! With KANK, he enters the risky zone once again as the opening number of the album, the title song 'Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna', turns out to be a sad number. Breaking the norms of incorporating a romantic melodious number for the kick start of the album, Karan Johar, S-E-L, Javed Akhtar, Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik come up with a melodious theme number. Inspite of a painful feel to it, its strength lies in the opening note that has a touching effect made possible by few but effective musical instruments. While a piano with violins in the background form a good prelude to the number, it is Sonu Nigam's crooning that further impresses due to a distinct 'Kal Ho Na Ho' feel to it. A song where the lead pair(s) of the movie are shown to be separating from one another but still wish each other good in life and a promise of remembrance, it is Javed Akhtar saab's lyrics that spin a tale through simple words that go as:

Tumko Bhi Hai Khabar, Mujhko Bhi Hai Pata; Ho Raha Hai Juda, Dono Ka Raasta Door Jaake Bhi Mujhse, Tum Meri Yaadon Mein Rehna; Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna!

The song moves at a slow pace and turns out to be quite pleasant on ears! Yes, the experiment works as one gets curious about the film's storyline and Karan Johar's choice of subject!

'Love will find a way' - these are the opening lines in 'Mitwa', a song that would be loved by one and all who have loved Pakistani brand of music in last few months, especially the ones that have been heard in Mahesh Bhatt films ['Zeher', 'Kalyug', 'Gangster']! Opening sound of guitar along with Caralisa's crooning of 'Love will find a way' followed by Shafqat Amanat Ali [from Pakistani band Fuzon] and Shankar coming behind the mike makes 'Mitwa' a sure shot chartbuster number. The song has a good rhythm to it and though it starts off with distinct Pakistani shade, it takes a lot from Indian classical music as it progresses further. A song that has an introspective edge to it where the lead is shown searching for something unknown, unheard and unseen, it is a number that could easily belong to Indi/Paki pop genre. 'Mitwa Revisited' follows a little later and the remix version turns out to be highly trendy befitting a discotheque/lounge outing.

After a sad and an introspective number, 'it's the time to disco', once again, with 'Where's The Party Tonight'! The song begins on a smashing note as Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy get the groove going with funky western musical arrangements. Shaan and Vasundhara Das turn out to be a highly effective pair as they let their hair down to come up with a rendition that is a good mix of Indian and Western style. The song is loud as per the requirement of the song's setting, and an effective use of chorus in the background along with Shankar and Loy joining in intermittently, makes it a number that should be popular amongst the youth in days to come. Yes, 'Where's The Party Tonight' may not be extraordinary or a kind that would break new grounds, but such is the beauty of S-E-L compositions that just like A.R. Rehman songs, they too start getting on you after you have heard them a few times. Call it the unconventional effect!

By this time one starts expecting a bonafide romantic number to come next. The wait is over with 'Tumhi Dekho Naa' that comes quite late in the day, just like 'Kuch To Hua Hai' came only towards the latter stages of the 'Kal Ho Na Ho'. One of the best tracks of the album so far, it comes very close to the title song in terms of styling but due to a different theme sounds differently. Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik are highly effective in this poetic romantic number that has been well worded by Javed saab. Slow paced and highly effective due to a soothing tune by Shankar Ehsaan Loy who come up with yet another beautiful love song, it should be one of the highlights of the movie and promises a mushy choreography. There is certain Indian feel about it that makes it extra special and a certain winner amongst the music lovers!

It's the time to rock-n-roll along with a dash of hip-hop in 'Rock'n'Roll Soniye' that seems to be a number picturized on Amitabh Bachchan due to the way Shankar Mahadevan goes about rendering the track. If there was a 'Shava Shava' in K3G, it's going to be 'Rock'n'roll Soniye' that also turns a bit jazzy as it moves on. Young brigade joins Big B in shaking a leg or two as Shaan is the first to arrive followed by Mahalaxmi Iyer. With lines from the popular old numbers such as 'Sar Pe Topi Lal Haath Mein Resham Ka Roomal', this is a celebrations number that promises a lavish picturization with colors all around.

Much before the official release of the music album of KANK, rumor brigade has been having a field day in pulling down the album. Well, that's not something new as with every biggie comes its share of detractors. But on hearing the songs for yourself, you realize that is it NOTHING, but a rumor! The album is yet another fine product from the team that delivers the kind of music expected from it. While the 'title song', 'Mitwa' and 'Tumhi Dekho No' are the pick of the lot due to strong melodious feel, 'Where's The Party Tonight' and 'Rock'n'Roll Soniye' too have in them to be popular amongst the youngsters once their song promos are out on the small screen. One can easily expect the album to zoom to the top of the charts in the very first week of its release that should maintain its position as the song promos start coming on air.

A winning score from a winning team!

Rating :- * * * 1/2

P.S. You can dwnld these songs using any of the file sharing softwares.

milind20

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i have downloaded the title song Kabhie Alvida Naa Kehna..... its real good... its beautiful..... u will love it if u like slow songs like i do..... very well sung too by Sonu Nigam.... but watch out its toooooo big.... u wont believe the size its 18.5 MB yes it is... and the song is of 8 mins....

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (Story)

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (KANK) is the story of Dev and Maya, both married to different people and completely convinced that they are happy, until they meet each other.

Dev (Shah Rukh Khan) is a professional football player whose promising career is nipped in the bud after an accident. He is married to Rhea (Preity Zinta) whose career is on an upswing.

They have a son, Arjun, and Dev’s mother, Kamaljit (Kirron Kher) lives with them. Maya (Rani Mukherji) teaches at a nursery and has married her closest friend Rishi (Abhishek Bachchan), a PR consultant.

Rishi’s father, Samarjit Singh aka Sam (Amitabh Bachchan) is a flamboyant, fun-loving man whose life revolves around the happiness of his son and daughter-in-law.

The two couples seem content despite the dissatisfaction below the surface but things start to change when a chance encounter between Dev and Maya brings them closer. There is a strange connection between them which blossoms into friendship.

Their time together soon causes complications. This new-found friendship between Dev and Maya causes them to look into their marriages with a new perspective and face up to issues that they hadn’t before.

How all the different characters deal with this new development in their lives forms the crux of Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna.

deya

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I hv seen da movie, n its ok, 1 time watch, AB steals most of da moments.....Bacially its a grey storyline.......da summary wud b "Understanding of MISUnderstandings"......;)

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Someone tell the whole story.. i like the concept "Understanding of MISUnderstandings"

But i dont feel like wasting time or money over it.

Whats the climax like ?

kartik said:
Someone tell the whole story.. i like the concept "Understanding of MISUnderstandings"

But i dont feel like wasting time or money over it.

Whats the climax like ?

hmmmmm. climaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx............

After understandings and misunderstanding, finally, shahrukh and rani i.e dev and maya, come to know, they r not living with their families, they decided to meet each other, as usual they meet @ railway station, both were hiding from each other, in the end, shahrukh was sitting in the compartment, through the window they both see each other, and the train starts moving, after few minutes, shahrukk was found on railway station, and both were smiling, and the picture ends........LOL...........:SugarwareZ-064:

I think the whole story is inspired from the flim "Silsilay" starting Rekha.........

bips

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
good or bad.. one thing you cannot deny that its the most contoversial film of the yr

Malika.Munjal

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Cant say how gud or bad the film was.. Bt the music of this movie is certainly awesome!!! specially the title song by Sonu and Alka . Also 'Mitwa' by Shafqat Amanat Ali