Why People Leave Jobs & What Can YOU Do? - Dr John Sullivan

nick18_in

MP Guru

• No one asked them to stay. (lack of personal "suasion") -- Talk to them one-on-one or No one asked then what motivates them -- Talk to them one-on-one.
  • They feel isolated and "in the dark" -- Increase communications with your employees.
  • They are unhappy with the mix of their job responsibilities -- Change job responsibilities / and increase their job challenges.
  • Lifestyle / work family conflicts -- Change their work schedule / location.
  • A lack of resources or support -- Give them direct assistance or additional resources.
  • A feeling of isolation and lack of recognition -- Increase their "exposure" opportunities.
  • They don't identify with the organization -- Develop common goals / passion/ values /
    a sense of urgency / and a shared vision.
  • No personal ties to the team -- Develop friendships, relationships and heroes.
  • They don't feel empowered, appreciated or that they are "members / owners" of the organization. -- Develop a sense of ownership, identity / belonging / fit, etc., with the dept / product / team.
  • No compelling vision of the future -- Make the future look more promising and the prospects of leaving unpleasant.
  • No pride in the products / company -- Improve our image / reputation.
  • A lack of authority / control / autonomy -- Increase their involvement / participation and control.
  • Not enough "toys"& great working conditions -- Change their physical environment.
  • Work isn't fun anymore -- Make work fun / make it hard to quit.
  • Lack of equity -- Create a perception of fairness and equity.
  • No group pressure to stay -- Develop a cohesive team.

Last edited:

A.J.

Maverick
Am I expected to understand this?? :aj1: :aj:

Last edited by a moderator:

ashwinee

hiii its me ashwinee
wana to say that is disatisfaction which makes people to leave job..
or it may be the desatisfied intra relationship with collie...
some reason is this that man is a advance createre of this planet and soo he always see high soo to get more he leave the jobs..

prabhatpastor

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
what method would be more appropriate to identify the reason for an employee leaving the job..
like for an organisation it is not possible to interact with each employee..
or in a construction industry it is not always possible to interact with employees at various sites....
what do you say for this????

SNS_RuLeZ!!!!

prabhatpastor said:
what method would be more appropriate to identify the reason for an employee leaving the job..
Before an employee leaves it is essential to kno why he has left n hence a feedback form could do the job. Since the employee has left he wont hve ne hestitations in bringing out the faults abt his boss, colleagues etc. plus at the same time he cud even point out some major flaws abt the company wich if taken in a good spirit can lead to a better future of the company.

like for an organisation it is not possible to interact with each employee..
or in a construction industry it is not always possible to interact with employees at various sites....
what do you say for this????
Interaction has to be there come wat may......if daily interactions are nt possible then atleast monthly meetings wid ur employees wil neday b of grt help.

shrijit_s

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
SNS_RuLeZ!!!! said:
Interaction has to be there come wat may......if daily interactions are nt possible then atleast monthly meetings wid ur employees wil neday b of grt help.

These interactions rarely work. The mgmt will definately screw you if they have decided it. Most of these meetings are just an eyewash by the concerned manager to show that he cares for his team...

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
shrijit_s said:
These interactions rarely work. The mgmt will definately screw you if they have decided it. Most of these meetings are just an eyewash by the concerned manager to show that he cares for his team...
well....what i have seen is this today companies r really worried abt iteration rate specially in service industry...Take the example of Dell....they have appointed a person for the post of fun manager....his work is to take care of employee in order to decrease stress...his duty includes organizing fun activlities(games,contests etc)on the floor in order to avoid employee burnout...Job in call center industry can b very stressfull and sometime monotonous...thats wat make an employee to think abt a change.without a doubt big companies like Dell,convergys r in this business and they need to retain the employee on which they have spent a lot.

SNS_RuLeZ!!!!

Exactly.....retention of ur employees is the major problem tat the companies are concerned wid. Companies can recruit employees in thousands bt can retain only a handful of them..... so ultimately the main question is.......how do companies retain their most imp assest (employees) who r worth crores of rupees. Acc 2 a study it was found tat max employees leave due 2 their boss.....bt still this cant be the only reason. Hence its a relative question as 2 why peple leave....(n i think v r back 2 square 1 )....hehehe!!!!!

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
SNS_RuLeZ!!!! said:
Exactly.....retention of ur employees is the major a ..bt still this cant be the only reason. Hence its a relative question as 2 why peple leave....(n i think v r back 2 square 1 )....hehehe!!!!!

As far as i know the biggest reason for job hopping is money...the pay u get..in todays scenario companies r snatching experienced employees..take the case in telecom...asim ghosh is the max paid CEO in telecom..when reliance group splitted..anil was vying for the CEO for his Infocomm....report says that asim ghosh was on in his priority list with 5-6 others...and the money is the thing that used for alluring skilled employee.
in junior management and engineer level this is even more prominent....take a look at IT firms.....iteration rate is like anything and people leave company caz next firm is giving him more perks more benefits.
2nd reason is profile enhancement...sometimes increment u get in monetary terms r fine but ur working profile get stuck....professional growth in other terms could b the answer.
enviornment of firm plays imp role too....

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i dont leave jobs, the company automatically gets dissolved within a mnth of my joinin.. what shud i do... hahhahahahahahahahahaha

amardeep.rishi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
karma said:
i dont leave jobs, the company automatically gets dissolved within a mnth of my joinin.. what shud i do... hahhahahahahahahahahaha
u shud try leaving the company before a month.....dono ka bhala...take the pay for half month.
adha adha...jeevan sada:big_grin:

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
mein kabhi kaam adhura nahi chodhta

pure company ko puri tarah se dubake jaata hu.. lol