BlackRock Real Estate Internship: Hitting the Ground Running

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
BlackRock-216.jpg
I’m interning this summer at BlackRock in San Francisco, and things are busy, to say the least. There was a lot of acquisition in the early to mid-2000swhen the company bought tons of properties, and now it’s time to make them perform. Also, with so many banks selling distressed real estate debt, we see a lot of potential opportunity. I’m reallylearning the inner workings of valuation, ownership structure andthe macroeconomic factors in specific markets.

I’m working on a complicated deal right now, and I’ve been talking to the experts at the Milstein Center: Professor Lynne Sagalyn and Senior Vice Dean Chris Mayer. Lynne put me in touch with a CBS grad who is the head of a fund. The alum gave me 20 minutes of her time on the phone and was incredibly helpful.

I’m the only real estate MBA intern at all of BlackRock, whichmeans I’m getting a lot of exposure to a wide range of things, and I’m notruffling with 15 other MBA interns for a full-time offer. It does mean Idon’t have peers per se, but there is an alum here, Akbar Tajani ’07, who’s taken good care of me.

I’m on week 4 of my internship, and I’ve been hearing from a lot of my fellow students who are hitting the ground running at their internships too. We’ve all had the common experience of feeling pretty stupid during thefirst couple of days, but now that I’ve gotten into my work here, I see that I’m really wellprepared for this, and I’m glad to be here.

More...