Thoughts from the people who interview you

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
We know that many of you Round 2 applicants are waiting anxiously to get an interview invitation. How do we know this? Because you call and email us, asking if interview invitations are still going out. (And, yes, they are.) In the meantime, we thought you might be interested in hearing a bit from our interviewers: why they interview for us and their advice on how best to prepare for an interview. As you probably know, the vast majority of our interviews are conducted by hundreds of GSB alumni all over the world. Why do our alums volunteer as interviewers? — "This is the way I give back to the school that I love and did so much for me personally and professionally. It means something to me to give back to the GSB." — "Keeping a strong connection to the school, and contributing in a small way to making sure the very best are in the class." — "I love the school. I have a good 'no jerk' radar." — "I meet many exceptional people and get to share the joy of the GSB experience." —"I am inspired by the interviewees' amazing contributions made and their aspirations to change the world. I also have made lasting friendships with some of them as they keep in touch during and after their MBA at the GSB!" What is your role as an interviewer? — "Getting past the ‘prepared answer’ to something genuine/telling." — "Spending time trying to discover the unique strengths and weaknesses of each candidate." — "The interview is as much a fluid, casual conversation as anything else. I aim to put the applicants I interview at ease so that we can have an enjoyable conversation." — "Getting to the essence of a candidate - who they really are, what makes them tick, why they want/need an MBA, why Stanford." — "I put a lot of effort into getting to know the interviewee, and I really enjoy listening to them. Also I give them the benefit of the doubt and always try to let them give the best answers they can." — "I try to take the time to really understand the candidate's motivations, strengths and weaknesses, and provide a candid assessment, and I also work hard to represent the school well." How would you recommend that candidates best prepare for their interview? — "Understand who you are and be yourself. Overprepared answers stand out as not being genuine." — "Think critically about how your experiences (work, extracurricular, college, etc.) have shaped you and your motivation to attend business school, specifically the GSB. Be able to condense these experiences into effective conversation pieces." — "We are pushing hard to dive into candidate's personal accomplishments. I don't think there is any real preparation necessary...other than a good night's sleep and willingness to talk about themselves." — "Be prepared to have a real conversation." — "Have a strong story on why the GSB. Demonstrate that you have done your homework and you want to attend this school. It is obvious when the GSB is one of many choices." More information about interviews is available on our website.

More...