Go Back   ManagementParadise.com | Management & Business Education Learning Platform CAT, XAT, MAT, CET, JMET and other Indian MBA Entrance Exams > Preparation Resources/ General CAT queries and info !!

Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation

Discuss Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation within the Preparation Resources/ General CAT queries and info !! forums, part of the CAT, XAT, MAT, CET, JMET and other Indian MBA Entrance Exams category; N S Mahadevan, now a first year PGDM student at IIM Calcutta, secured 99.69 per cent at Common Admission Test ...

This IIM student failed the CAT
Old
vengabeats
vengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud of

Financial Analyst at Transparent Value
Management Paradise Guru

This IIM student failed the CAT - September 23rd, 2006

N S Mahadevan, now a first year PGDM student at IIM Calcutta, secured 99.69 per cent at Common Admission Test 2005 and got final calls from IIM C (both PGDM and PGDCM), IIM L, IIM K, IIM I and NITIE, Mumbai. He has a few tips this year's CAT aspirants could use:

"On failing to clear CAT in 2004, I prepared for CAT 2005 with renewed vigour using a well planned approach. In retrospect, I realise my performance in CAT 2004 was insufficient because of various reasons. One was a bad understanding of the fundamentals of various topics in mathematics. Being from an engineering background, I concentrated on sections other than Quant. This left me stranded in those unforgettable two hours. I also misunderstood the given directions. It sounds trivial; but I read the instructions wrong.

I went to CAT 2005 with an open mind and better preparation. I joined TIME as a full course student for CAT 2004, then continued to give AIMCATs for CAT 2005. Joining TIME gave a good direction to my preparation. The course material helped improve my understanding of the fundamentals. Speaking about the AIMCATs, the analysis helped me realise my mistakes. It also indicated areas that needed improvement. I used to solve the materials as well as previous papers.

CAT is not only to test your intelligence, but also your attitude. More than sheer intelligence, it is attitude that helps you hit that 99 per cent mark. There is no shortcut to prepare for CAT, but the thing that acts as the differentiating factor is your approach. Speaking about strategies, there is no single strategy that works. It is all about helping your brain work efficiently, without allowing it to tire. It is natural for the brain to get exhausted in the middle of a paper. It is your work to keep it fresh throughout the length of the test.

During the examination, I followed a simple strategy. This may not work for you, but try it once; it may make a difference. I started the exam by answering questions from Verbal in the first 15 minutes. The reason is simple -- it doesn't require a lot of logical thinking. Moreover, in the first 10 minutes, everybody in the room, including the invigilators, are confused and trying to settle down. Hence, one doesn't get disturbed.
In the next 30 minutes, I solved the reading comprehension passages. Solving RCs has been my strength and I usually score 95 per cent of marks allotted to this section. In the next 20 minutes, I went through the DI-LA-DS section. I used to solve the easy questions and mark the solvable ones. I followed the same approach for the Quant section, using the remaining time to solve the marked questions. With this approach, I scored the minimum marks in each section first, then increased my score in the last 35 minutes.

I feel one should not postpone the grouped questions to the end, because the questions may consume the last two- three minutes. You may solve at least three questions in that time.

I want to sign off saying that CAT is not as tough as it is portrayed. It tests mental strength more than mental retention."

source : Rediff

Advertisements

It's better to let someone think you are an Idiot than to open your mouth and prove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friends: (18)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mantras to help you ace CAT 2006
Old
vengabeats
vengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud ofvengabeats has much to be proud of

Management Paradise Guru

Mantras to help you ace CAT 2006 - September 26th, 2006

First, a bit of preparation
Multiple hours of sitting under the table lamp, eyes harrowing the intractable comprehension passages, mind simultaneously creating virtual images of the text written, hands skimming up and down the page, subconscious thinking of the plausible questions at the end of the passage and side by side conjecturing answers, anxiety to finish off in five minutes not letting the eyelids waiver, brain forming links between the lines and trying to run ahead of the span of the eyes, and kaboom! concentration lost… The entire train of thoughts derailed. And the need to start afresh.

That is how the ‘mice’ prepare for the CAT. Clearing the Common Admission Test for the IIMs, the dreams of many, cherished by a few, gateway to the most coveted boardrooms, the source to an enviable network, and -- last but not least -- insurance of the best pay packages; is a big challenge but, if taken in the right spirit and with a little proper and timely guidance, can be an enjoyable journey.

I cleared this behemoth this year and at the end the ‘Congratulations! You have been selected.’ took away all the fatigue, monotony and listlessness. The first step required to be taken, according to me, is to have a rock solid determination to get into the institute of your choice. Because that gives the required impetus to work hard and not let one steer away from one’s prime focus.

One has to learn to prioritise. Be it time, college studies office work. And gradually develop the confidence, ‘Yes, I can get through.’ Then things start falling in place, one starts enjoying the preparation, incorporates the maths techniques and interpretation skills in daily life. Having a rigid schedule and, more importantly, sticking to it, practicing newly learnt skills regularly, and analysing one’s performances are the key factors that contribute towards success.

It is very important to keep the mind fresh and invigorated to maintain it active throughout the process. For that, I personally dreamt of all the Leicester Squares and Times Squares, that the course would entail and the endless opportunities it would bestow upon me. But, after passing through this titanic hurdle, if one assumes life is going to be a cakewalk henceforth, beware! You have not yet entered the big dark dungeons of an IIM!

Multiple hours in front of the laptop, eyes hurriedly going through abysmal assignments, mind trying to grapple with information overload, hands crisscrossing the keypad, subconscious sleeping for the want of it, anxiety to get at least half an hour of sleep, brain debiting the credit and crediting the debit, and kaboom! One realizes that life never gets easy now. The cat has finally taken over the mice…

-- Vaibhav Gupta, 1st year PGDM student at IIM Calcutta.

Source : Rediff

It's better to let someone think you are an Idiot than to open your mouth and prove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Re: Stress Mngmt For Cat Prep
Old
roan_ag
roan_ag is an unknown quantity at this point

roan_ag
Re: Stress Mngmt For Cat Prep - October 4th, 2006

Thankz....i guess i can put tis to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friends: (0)
Re: Stress Mngmt For Cat Prep
Old
Bhavin Mehta
bhavin_3 is just really nicebhavin_3 is just really nicebhavin_3 is just really nicebhavin_3 is just really nice

bhavin_3
Business Analyst at NAB
Management Paradise Member

Re: Stress Mngmt For Cat Prep - October 4th, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav200x
the best way to do that is to close ur eyes momentarily and take very deep breath in and out couple of times. It would supply more oxygen rich blood to the heart and hence calm a person.
All the above + Add a good memory for your brain to recall. Tht would surely be more soothning..

<< THINKING MIND >>

"No Management No MP Know Management Know MP"

Friends: (3)
40 days to crack CAT 2006!
Old
vengabeats

Management Paradise Guru

40 days to crack CAT 2006! - October 10th, 2006

More than 1.7 lakh students are expected to appear for the Common Admission Test this year and obviously the outcome of this very important exam will seal fates for the next academic year for many an MBA aspirant.

You may be getting more apprehensive by the minute because D-day -- November 19 -- is approaching fast. So, you have almost six weeks to go and every week theoretically can improve your marks to get you closer to your dream of studying at the prestigious IIMs or in any other top B-School.

We outline a strategy to help you make the best use of the next 40 days to crack CAT.

Make the best use of time
Believe it or not, the next 40 days can make a difference to your preparation and hence the outcome of your exam. The last seven years the CAT paper had three sections and it is reasonable to expect that CAT 2006 may also be a three-section paper. Even if you make one less mistake in each of the three sections, that you have been attempting (in MOCK CATs), then the chance to improve by a net score of four is very much on the cards.

Here we are not talking about doing better preparation or even taking more mocks or for that matter evolving better strategies. JUST by ensuring that you make one less mistake in each of the sections that you are attempting, your score would go up by a significant number and hence a significant percentile.

And, to make it even better, if you make one less mistake in a two-mark question in each of the sections, then the total score would increase by eight marks net. If we look at the last year's scores, it is very interesting to note that with just an increase of four marks the percentile increase is close to five per cent.

Score ----Percentile
29----------------90
33---------------94
A student with an 85 percentile could have easily got 94 percentile by just make three less mistakes in each of the three sections. If the same is so clear and obvious, then spending the next 40 days judiciously can result in an improvement which can increase your chances of making it to the most coveted of MBA schools in the country -- the IIMs.

How many MOCKS should you write?
First, you need to understand the logic of writing the MOCK papers. The MOCK CAT is only a testing tool. A tool which helps you to find out whether your preparation is sufficient and whether the strategy you adopt is giving you dividends.

What is important at this stage is to understand whether you can improve your marks by a significant number for every mock. And for that, there is no substitute but spending enough time on the analysis as well as solving the problems which you have not been able to crack in the exam.

A MOCK CAT plan for the next 5 weeks
i. Since there are five more Sundays left before the actual CAT, you should plan to write one MOCK CAT every Sunday, preferably, at the same time as the CAT exam so that you get habituated to the test timing (10.30 am to 1 pm).

ii. In addition, take one MOCK test at home every week either on a Wednesday or a Thursday. These two days should be dedicated for the MOCK test as well as for a thorough analysis of the paper.

iii. In the last week before the CAT, it is advisable to write two mocks -- one on Tuesday (November 14) and one on Friday (November 17).
Note: If you are a compulsive test taker and feel that you should take one more in the last one week, then let it not be on November 18!
iv. Apart from these test dates all other days should be used for either sample tests or for revision.

v. Since there are only 40 days to CAT, it is futile to spend time on areas in which you are not good in (apart from a few of such topics). The entire focus should be on WHAT YOU KNOW than on what you do not know. CAT is an exam with a syllabus that cannot be mastered even after years of effort, but here we don't need the vast knowledge and hence it is enough if you get as many marks as are required to take you through to the next stage in the selection process.

The author is an alumnus of IIM-Calcutta and director of T.I.M.E, Mumbai.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
CAT: Tips for Quant, Reasoning and DI
Old
vengabeats

Management Paradise Guru

CAT: Tips for Quant, Reasoning and DI - October 12th, 2006

This is continuation of 40 days to cat

Here, we suggest tips to help you plan your study of individual sections.

Data Interpretation/ Reasoning

In the last few years, these sections have usually featured around seven to 10 sets of data. Each set has around three to five questions on an average. If you have been taking the MOCK CAT regularly, you should have around 15 to 20 MOCKS with you already (not including the ones you will answer in the next few weeks).

These MOCKS have been designed to give you a feel of CAT and bring to you the type of sets that have a chance of appearing in this year's test. If you have 20 of them, you have close to 150 sets to 200 sets of data (with questions) already with you.

As you can see, not all of these sets have different concepts. However, you have never done them on the trot. Besides, each paper had a gap of a week or more between them. This makes it is difficult to relate one set to the other.

What you need to do is become familiar with the concepts and grasp the content of each set without wasting too much time. It is now time for you to pick up these MOCK CAT papers, and original question papers from the earlier CATs, and solve five to eight sets every day. Bear in mind that seeing the solution does not constitute solving it.
If you are unable to understand the concept, by all means see the solution. But, after understanding it, redo the set once again. Solve it again the next day so you do not forget the concept. A common mistake students make: they see the solution and assume they will remember how to solve a similar set if it appears again.

When we are talking about sets, it includes the Reasoning sets too. Hence, there is no need to do them separately. Do these sets every day for at least one hour.

CAT 2006 will have the questions from DI and Reasoning. There is a good chance that the number of sets would range from six to eight. By practising these 150 to 200 sets, you would have effectively covered all the sets that can appear in the paper. Even if there are a couple of sets which seem new, there is no way a CAT paper can appear without involving concepts from among these 150 odd sets you would do in the next few weeks. This way, even if you solve four sets overall in the actual CAT; getting scores close to 15 would be a cinch. It is pertinent to note that the cutoff for DI/ Reasoning section last year was around 11-12 marks ONLY.

Quantitative Ability
This area dreaded by many is not so difficult if you undertake a systematic preparation.

Divide and study

Quant can be divided into four sets of topics so that you can plan your preparation better.

Set I:Numbers, Geometry and Mensuration, Quadratic Equations & Progression and Permutations & Combinations -- these form the most important set of topics for the CAT exam. Over the last two years, close to 50 per cent of the questions were from these areas.

Set II: Equations, Ration Proportion Variation, Percentages & Profit and Loss, Averages and Mixtures, Simple Interest & Compound Interest, Time & Work and Time & Distance -- all these form the core arithmetic topics. The number of marks expected from these areas is close to 15.

Set III: Indices, Logs and Surds, Inequalities, Functions & Graphs, Coordinate geometry -- these form the group of topics that have not come consistently in CAT papers. However, whenever they have featured in CAT, there were close to three to four questions in each topic.

Set IV: All other topics and logic puzzles.

Study tips for Quant
Tackle each topic separately. For instance, in Numbers, list all concepts on a sheet of paper (call this a concept paper). This could take up to an hour. Then, refer to the basic books you have on this topic and check whether you have covered all the concepts listed in your paper. If not, write down the ones you have missed out on and make sure you know these concepts too.

Now, gather all the MOCK papers in your possession, pick all questions in this area and solve them. Once you have solved all questions pertaining to this area, tick them off in the concept paper. Also write down the reference number for each of these questions in your concept paper. Continue until you have solved all concepts, or as many as possible, listed in the paper.

By the time you finish this exercise, you should have done close to 100 to 120 questions in just this one topic. In addition, your concept paper would also have the reference numbers of all questions which have used a particular concept.

This entire exercise can take anything between five to 10 hours, depending on your state of preparedness. By the end of this gruelling session, there will be hardly any concept you don't understand or any question you cannot solve.

If you find you cannot do this in one sitting, spread this exercise over a period of three to four days (two hours each). Similarly, Geometry and Mensuration can also take close to three to four days.

Repeat this exercise for the rest of the topics as well. You should not have to devote more than one day per topic.

In the next 20 to 25 days, you would have revised all concepts from every MOCK paper you've attempted till date. You can revise these concepts once again in the last two weeks before CAT. This time, you will have the concept paper and the reference codes, so it will be much faster.

This is almost a foolproof method to ensure you perfect your knowledge of every concept in Quant. However, you still have to take decisions on which type of questions to attempt and which ones to leave as per the difficulty and length of the question.

Re: Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation
Old
Rashi Thakur
rashi.thakur.9693 is an unknown quantity at this point

rashi.thakur.9693
Re: Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation - July 5th, 2013

very informative post indeed.. being enrolled in wiziq.com/course/9830-live-online-cat-exam-2013-preparation-by-arun-sharma
,I was looking for such articles online to assist me for CAT Preparation.. and your post helped me a lot
Re: Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation
Old
Business Education
Business-education is on a distinguished road

Business-education
Student of BMM
Mumbai, Maharashtra
Management Paradise Guru
Re: Collection of useful articles for CAT Preparation - May 27th, 2015

Preparing for Cat is very difficult and confusing, but it is now of the most important exams to be cleared if you wanted admission in MBA. Here is the link which explain guidelines about how to prepare for Cat. Take a look