SWOT analysis of Mumbai railways

sunandaC

SWOT Analysis is a powerful technique for understanding your Strengths and Weaknesses, and for looking at the Opportunities and Threats you face.
What makes SWOT particularly powerful is that, with a little thought, it can help you uncover opportunities that you are well placed to exploit. And by understanding the weaknesses of your business, you can manage and eliminate threats that would otherwise catch you unawares.
More than this, by looking at yourself and your competitors using the SWOT framework, you can start to craft a strategy that helps you distinguish yourself from your competitors, so that you can compete successfully in your market.

Strengths:
• The Indian Railways is considered as the ‘Biggest Company’ in the world in terms of employee strength.
• The network of railways is very huge.
• The trains are affordable to common man.
• Mumbai railways are considered to be a very big source of revenue for the Indian railways.
• Independent body for managing the Mumbai rail i.e. MRVC has improved the working of Mumbai railways.
• The Mumbai urban transport project (MUTP) has increased the importance of railways.
• The management of railways is very good. This can be told because on the very next day of the ‘Mumbai Bomb Blast’ the trains were running at their scheduled time.
• railway platforms and trains are considered as a effective mode of advertising by advertisers. due to this railways earn a lot of revenue through giving advertising space.

Weaknesses:
• The major weakness of the Mumbai Railways is the corruption within the department, which restricts the growth of it.
• Accidents take place because of the lack of accident proof magnetic wheels in all trains.
• Lack of safety i.e. in terms of robbery, woman safety.
• Poor infrastructure. i.e. The conditions of some trains, railway track and railway stations are not satisfactory.
• Delayed trains.
• Typical government employees. i.e. The lazy employees.

Opportunities:
• The long-term plan of the ‘METRO’ in a commercial city like Mumbai is the greatest opportunity.
• Can be partially privatized and the government can make more profit through this privatization.
• Tie-Up with Foreign Railways.
• Mumbai railways can use new technology which will help in increasing the performance.

Threats:
• The ever increasing rush in trains.
• Strong opposition of the people for the MUTP project.
• Increasing costs.
• Improvement of other infrastructure like roadways has lead to division of freight between various sectors.

SWOT Analysis is a powerful technique for understanding your Strengths and Weaknesses, and for looking at the Opportunities and Threats you face.
What makes SWOT particularly powerful is that, with a little thought, it can help you uncover opportunities that you are well placed to exploit. And by understanding the weaknesses of your business, you can manage and eliminate threats that would otherwise catch you unawares.
More than this, by looking at yourself and your competitors using the SWOT framework, you can start to craft a strategy that helps you distinguish yourself from your competitors, so that you can compete successfully in your market.

Strengths:
• The Indian Railways is considered as the ‘Biggest Company’ in the world in terms of employee strength.
• The network of railways is very huge.
• The trains are affordable to common man.
• Mumbai railways are considered to be a very big source of revenue for the Indian railways.
• Independent body for managing the Mumbai rail i.e. MRVC has improved the working of Mumbai railways.
• The Mumbai urban transport project (MUTP) has increased the importance of railways.
• The management of railways is very good. This can be told because on the very next day of the ‘Mumbai Bomb Blast’ the trains were running at their scheduled time.
• railway platforms and trains are considered as a effective mode of advertising by advertisers. due to this railways earn a lot of revenue through giving advertising space.

Weaknesses:
• The major weakness of the Mumbai Railways is the corruption within the department, which restricts the growth of it.
• Accidents take place because of the lack of accident proof magnetic wheels in all trains.
• Lack of safety i.e. in terms of robbery, woman safety.
• Poor infrastructure. i.e. The conditions of some trains, railway track and railway stations are not satisfactory.
• Delayed trains.
• Typical government employees. i.e. The lazy employees.

Opportunities:
• The long-term plan of the ‘METRO’ in a commercial city like Mumbai is the greatest opportunity.
• Can be partially privatized and the government can make more profit through this privatization.
• Tie-Up with Foreign Railways.
• Mumbai railways can use new technology which will help in increasing the performance.

Threats:
• The ever increasing rush in trains.
• Strong opposition of the people for the MUTP project.
• Increasing costs.
• Improvement of other infrastructure like roadways has lead to division of freight between various sectors.

Hey friend, thanks for your contribution and providing the report on Mumbai railways which would really help many students and professionals. BTW, I am also going to share a document on Mumbai railways for helping others.

Attachments

• Mumbai Railway Vikas Coporation.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1