Formed in March 2000 as a spin-off of Cabletron Systems, Enterasys Networks is a networking company catering almost exclusively to large enterprises. The company designs and manufactures all types of networking equipment including routers, switches, and 802.11 wireless access points and controllers.
In addition to hardware, the company also builds software for managing and securing enterprise-class networks such as Intrusion Prevention System, Network Access Control and Security Information Management.
The company's headquarters are in Anover, Massachusetts.

Over 5000 new and used computers are listed daily in the eBay PC desktop category by
both individuals and businesses. Auction participants may perceive these computers as a
mixture of common and private values. To obtain an estimate of the mean and dispersion
of private signals received by the auction participants, I created a web-based survey. The
survey encouraged survey respondents to focus on the CV component, since other evidence in
this market suggested that the CV component dominates the PV component in this market
(see Yin 2005).
The content for the survey came from the auction descriptions for 222 eBay PC auctions
held between June 24 and July 12, 2002. eBay works as follows: A seller posts an item for
auction. She creates a product description through text and pictures and any other media
that can be displayed on the eBay website. Auction participants can observe this auction
description along with other information about the seller, the current price, and the number
of bids submitted up to that point in the auction.
Anyone could respond to my survey, except for the actual bidders in my sample of
auctions. The survey was distributed to acquaintances by word of mouth. I asked people
to read computer auction descriptions and then answer the following question: ìIf a friend
wanted to buy the computer described below, what is the most she should pay for it?î
(see Appendix A) My descriptions contained only the information provided by the seller in
the ìdescriptionsî section. Information listed by eBay about the bids, reservation values,
number of bidders, and the sellerís identity and reputation were removed. I also collected
background data on survey respondents, asking them about their experience working with
computers, purchasing computers, and buying computers in online auctions.
I proposed incentives to encourage survey respondents to think about the computersí
values and to consider the CV component of the computers. Respondents viewing the ìprize
detailsî webpage were told that they would receive an prize of $60 for being closest to all
the other valuations or for being closest to a panel of computer experts. The advantage of
these incentives is that they focus participant attention on the CV component rather than
on idiosyncratic private tastes. I expected respondents who were unfamiliar with computer
values to gravitate towards the Örst incentive and try to think of the CV component that
other non-experts perceived. I expected respondents with more familiarity with computers to
think about the CV component they shared with other experts. The incentive also provided
some incentive to discourage respondents from merely typing in random numbers. The
disadvantage of these incentives is that they may have introduced some bias that would be
correlated with value of the item. However, I propose a correction method for this bias in
Section 6. Only a small percentage (6%) of respondents actually looked at the webpage on
ìprize details,îso these issues only a§ected a small number of my respondents.
The survey was designed to employ as wide a pool of respondents as possible. This made
implementation of the survey easier and faster. However, one must account for the potential
bias from using survey data to estimate information possessed by the auction participants.
Fortunately, one can collect background data on the respondents during the survey.

Last edited:
Formed in March 2000 as a spin-off of Cabletron Systems, Enterasys Networks is a networking company catering almost exclusively to large enterprises. The company designs and manufactures all types of networking equipment including routers, switches, and 802.11 wireless access points and controllers.
In addition to hardware, the company also builds software for managing and securing enterprise-class networks such as Intrusion Prevention System, Network Access Control and Security Information Management.
The company's headquarters are in Anover, Massachusetts.

Over 5000 new and used computers are listed daily in the eBay PC desktop category by
both individuals and businesses. Auction participants may perceive these computers as a
mixture of common and private values. To obtain an estimate of the mean and dispersion
of private signals received by the auction participants, I created a web-based survey. The
survey encouraged survey respondents to focus on the CV component, since other evidence in
this market suggested that the CV component dominates the PV component in this market
(see Yin 2005).
The content for the survey came from the auction descriptions for 222 eBay PC auctions
held between June 24 and July 12, 2002. eBay works as follows: A seller posts an item for
auction. She creates a product description through text and pictures and any other media
that can be displayed on the eBay website. Auction participants can observe this auction
description along with other information about the seller, the current price, and the number
of bids submitted up to that point in the auction.
Anyone could respond to my survey, except for the actual bidders in my sample of
auctions. The survey was distributed to acquaintances by word of mouth. I asked people
to read computer auction descriptions and then answer the following question: ìIf a friend
wanted to buy the computer described below, what is the most she should pay for it?î
(see Appendix A) My descriptions contained only the information provided by the seller in
the ìdescriptionsî section. Information listed by eBay about the bids, reservation values,
number of bidders, and the sellerís identity and reputation were removed. I also collected
background data on survey respondents, asking them about their experience working with
computers, purchasing computers, and buying computers in online auctions.
I proposed incentives to encourage survey respondents to think about the computersí
values and to consider the CV component of the computers. Respondents viewing the ìprize
detailsî webpage were told that they would receive an prize of $60 for being closest to all
the other valuations or for being closest to a panel of computer experts. The advantage of
these incentives is that they focus participant attention on the CV component rather than
on idiosyncratic private tastes. I expected respondents who were unfamiliar with computer
values to gravitate towards the Örst incentive and try to think of the CV component that
other non-experts perceived. I expected respondents with more familiarity with computers to
think about the CV component they shared with other experts. The incentive also provided
some incentive to discourage respondents from merely typing in random numbers. The
disadvantage of these incentives is that they may have introduced some bias that would be
correlated with value of the item. However, I propose a correction method for this bias in
Section 6. Only a small percentage (6%) of respondents actually looked at the webpage on
ìprize details,îso these issues only a§ected a small number of my respondents.
The survey was designed to employ as wide a pool of respondents as possible. This made
implementation of the survey easier and faster. However, one must account for the potential
bias from using survey data to estimate information possessed by the auction participants.
Fortunately, one can collect background data on the respondents during the survey.

Hey netra, many many thanks for sharing such an important marketing research report on Enterasys Networks which would be beneficial for many people. Well, i also did some searches and got some useful information on Enterasys Networks and going to share it with you.

Attachments

• Enterasys Networks.pdf
    575.1 KB · Views: 0