Direct and Indirect Interviews

abhishreshthaa

Characteristics of Direct and Indirect Interviews

• Direct interviewing involves asking questions such that the respondent is aware of the underlying purpose of the survey.

• Most marketing surveys are relatively direct.

• That is, although the name of the sponsoring firm is frequently kept anonymous, the general area of interest is often obvious to the respondent.

• Direct questions are generally easy for the respondent to answer, tend to have the same meaning across respondents, and have responses that are relatively easy to interpret.

• However, occasions may arise when respondents are either unable or unwilling to answer direct questions.

• For example, respondents may not be able to verbalize their subconscious reasons for purchases or they may not want to admit that certain purchases were made for socially unacceptable reasons.

• In these cases, some form of indirect interviewing is required.

• Indirect interviewing, often referred to as disguised, involves asking questions such that the respondent does not know what the objective of the study is.

• A person who is asked to describe the “typical person" who rides a motorcycle to work may not be aware that the resulting description is a measure of his own attitudes toward motorcycles and this use of them.

• Both structure and directness represent continuums rather than discrete categories.

• However, it is sometimes useful to categorize surveys based on which end of each continuum they are nearest.

• This leads to four types of interviews: structure-direct, structure-indirect, unstructured-direct and unstructured-indirect.

I would love to read more about it,actually I am too weak in English so,this will help me to frame questions and get more knowledge about it.

I can explain one thing about grammar is question tag : please check it out.

If the question is asked like
Ram is not playing in garden,isn't he?
Now in these above question,the sentence is in present tense so,answer should also implies in present tense like isn't (where is defines present)