MARKETING STRATEGY OF VISA AT BARCELONA

abhishreshthaa

In 1992, Visa paid approximately $20 million to sponsor the Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain and the Winter Olympics in Albertville, France. In addition, Visa spent millions on a marketing campaign designating itself as the official credit card of the 1992 Olympics.

One of Visa's television campaigns made a frontal assault on one of its competitors, American Express (AmEx), by stating “The Olympics don't take American Express."'

In response to the Visa commercial, AmEx aired an ad with winter sports athletes telling viewers that "to enjoy the 'fun and games' they 'don't need a Visa."' AmEx intended the commercial to show that many stores, restaurants and hotels in Albertville, France accepted the AmEx card.

After this ad aired, Visa claimed that AmEx carried out an ambush marketing strategy. AmEx countered by saying that this charge was unfounded because Visa initiated the confrontation and it was merely setting the record straight.

In 1992, Visa paid approximately $20 million to sponsor the Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain and the Winter Olympics in Albertville, France. In addition, Visa spent millions on a marketing campaign designating itself as the official credit card of the 1992 Olympics.

One of Visa's television campaigns made a frontal assault on one of its competitors, American Express (AmEx), by stating “The Olympics don't take American Express."'

In response to the Visa commercial, AmEx aired an ad with winter sports athletes telling viewers that "to enjoy the 'fun and games' they 'don't need a Visa."' AmEx intended the commercial to show that many stores, restaurants and hotels in Albertville, France accepted the AmEx card.

After this ad aired, Visa claimed that AmEx carried out an ambush marketing strategy. AmEx countered by saying that this charge was unfounded because Visa initiated the confrontation and it was merely setting the record straight.

Hey friend, I read your article regarding MARKETING STRATEGY OF VISA AT BARCELONA and it is really nice. I appreciate your work and would hope you would share more contents like this in future. Well, I am also uploading a document which would give more detailed information.

Attachments

• MARKETING STRATEGY OF VISA AT BARCELONA.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 0