The Amul revolution

abhishreshthaa

The Amul revolution was started as awareness among the farmers. It grew and matured into a protest movement that was channeled towards economic prosperity

Over five decades ago, the life of an average farmer in Kheda District was very much like that of his/her counterpart anywhere else in India. His/her income was derived almost entirely from seasonal crops. The income from milk buffaloes was undependable. Private traders and middlemen controlled the marketing and distribution system for the milk. As milk is perishable, farmers were compelled to sell it for whatever they were offered.

Often, they had to sell cream and ghee at throw-away prices. In this situation, the private trader made a killing. Gradually, the realization dawned on the farmers that the exploitation by the trader could be checked only if they marketed their milk themselves. Amul was the result of the realization that they could pool up their milk and work as a cooperative.

The Amul revolution was started as awareness among the farmers. It grew and matured into a protest movement that was channeled towards economic prosperity

Over five decades ago, the life of an average farmer in Kheda District was very much like that of his/her counterpart anywhere else in India. His/her income was derived almost entirely from seasonal crops. The income from milk buffaloes was undependable. Private traders and middlemen controlled the marketing and distribution system for the milk. As milk is perishable, farmers were compelled to sell it for whatever they were offered.

Often, they had to sell cream and ghee at throw-away prices. In this situation, the private trader made a killing. Gradually, the realization dawned on the farmers that the exploitation by the trader could be checked only if they marketed their milk themselves. Amul was the result of the realization that they could pool up their milk and work as a cooperative.

Hey abhi, i would like to thank you for sharing the information and i am sure it would be helpful for many people. Well, i am also uploading a document on Amul revolution and its story, so please download and check it.

Attachments

• The Amul revolution.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 1