Careers in the Publishing industry

MBACrystalBall

Publishing may not be the hottest career destination for top MBA grads. But for those who are interested, the industry offers plenty of opportunities on the creative and business side. Let me explain what I meant by 'business' and 'creative' roles.

For the traditional publishing biggies (and the smaller players as well), the supply chain forms the backbone. This provides a lot of opportunities for people with business backgrounds to take up SCM, logistics, warehouse and transportation management roles in publishing houses. There are also the conventional roles in Finance, Accounting, business development, marketing (I'd say best-sellers are more about marketing than about ground-breaking content), strategy (how would you tackle the 'threat' from digital media?).

It's an industry that's been struggling with a lot of problems. And where there are problems, you'll find MBAs :wink: Whether they fix the problems or cause/aggravate them is debatable.

Then of course, there are the creative roles - from writing to production & design. I'd say there's a lesser dependence on an MBA degree for these roles. For instance, most journalists who write business related articles, don't have a management degree, but their work is lapped up by everyone who's interested in business - from MBA applicants to CEOs. But having said that, an MBA on your resume won't hurt you. If you really understand the nuances and interplay of between economics, finance, business - then that depth and clarity would reflect in your writing.

Anybody here who has an interest in the Publishing industry? What kind of roles are you targetting?

----
Sameer
Founder | MBA Crystal Ball
Author | Beyond The MBA Hype