Recommendations - App Tips Summer Series

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
We get a lot of specific questions about the letters of recommendation, so let me try this post QA style.

What questions will you ask my recommender about me?
  1. How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
  2. Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.

Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?
Ask people who know you well in a work context. In most cases, one of the two should be your direct supervisor. The other can be someone you’ve worked with in the past or you are working with in a different capacity now. Depending on where you’re working, you can also consider a client, an investor or someone from a partner organization. Recs from professors are typically not as helpful in our process unless you’ve worked with them in a significant way.

It is a good idea to think about how the two recommendations can complement one another by drawing on different examples or aspects of your background.*

What if I am not telling my employer that I am applying to business school?
We understand, and we do not want your situation at work (promotions, bonus, etc.) to be negatively affected. If you’re in this situation you can ask someone from a prior job, or someone that you work with outside of your organization to write for you.*

Does it matter if my recommender is an alumna/alumnus of HBS? How important is her/his title?
We get this question all the time, and you should always choose people who know you well over someone who may be an HBS alum or have a big title. Remember, we are trying to get to know YOU, not your recommender.*

What are the logistics?
You will fill out your recommenders’ names and email addresses within the application. This will prompt the system to send the online form to them directly. They will submit their recommendations separately from you, and it is your responsibility to follow-up to ensure they are submitted on time.

What guidance (if any) should I give my recommender?
It is fine to share with your recommenders drafts of your application and essay and discuss with them areas where you think their perspective can help round out your story.

It is NOT ok to draft letters of recommendation or any portion of them for your recommender.

Can I send in additional letters of recommendation or support?
No. And please don’t encourage people to write in on your behalf. It is not helpful. Throughout the entire application process, we aim to be as thoughtful, fair, and consistent as possible. We review two letters of recommendation for each applicant.

What makes for a great recommendation?*
Rather than general platitudes, the best recommendations provide specific examples. That helps us understand the impact you have had and how you get things done. How are the people and the places in your world better because you were there? And, just as important, recommenders should be forthright about the feedback they’ve shared—we are all working on getting better at something and your recommenders’ perspectives on your growth help*us understand your journey and your potential.

Phew! That was a lot to cover. Now that you have the ins and outs, don’t forget to ask your recommenders in plenty of time.

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : Recommendations - App Tips Summer Series

Whats your opinion?