My Summer Internship in Seattle

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
I remember May 30, 2016 as if it were yesterday.

It was the day I arrived in Seattle to begin my summer internship—an integral and highly-anticipated element of the MBA experience. I had never actually been to the Emerald City before, but various Fuqua classmates who had either lived or visited Seattle assured me of its merits (and its glorious summer weather).

I spent a total of eleven weeks working in a marketing strategy role at Zillow, America’s largest real estate marketplace. It was a rewarding experience for many reasons, in particular because it was a fantastic opportunity to challenge myself professionally. Although I had worked in marketing prior to business school, my internship at Zillow exposed me to many new facets of the function, in particular the planning, execution, and maintenance of mobile advertising campaigns. I leveraged the skills and knowledge I gained during my first year at Fuqua—both the hard skills acquired through marketing and statistics classes, and the softer skills from the core class Management Communications.

Kayaking in the Puget Sound as part of a summer intern event

Career aside, my internship in Seattle also represented a unique chance to challenge myself personally. Not only was I in a brand new city, but also in a totally different part of the U.S. I used the summer to explore all Seattle had to offer: the quirky coffee shops, the bustling rooftop bars, the gorgeous running trails along the Puget Sound, and the cool museums and wineries. Always one to enjoy exploring new places, I used my weekends to travel, visiting great cities such as Los Angeles, Portland, and Vancouver. Moving to a totally new city is a surefire way to push you out of your comfort zone!

Finally, the experience I had over the summer was a distinct*and comforting reminder that the Fuqua network is expansive and extensive. I both socialized and worked with numerous Fuquans, giving me the chance to solidify friendships with classmates also interning in Seattle, as well as building my network by connecting with Fuqua alums living and working in the city.

IMG_0030.jpg
Three Fuuqans feeling good after completing the Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon
IMG_0029.jpg
Fuqua goes wine tasting in Woodinville, WA!

The post My Summer Internship in Seattle appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.

5ehD7NZHtz4

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : My Summer Internship in Seattle