Recruiting Made Easy with the Help of Team Fuqua

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
It’s hard to believe that I’m in the last term of my first year. The year really has flown by, and while academics and extracurricular activities have been a large part of the experience, so has recruiting.

Earlier this year, I wrote about the Duke MBA Health Care Club’s Week-in-Cities trip and how the alumni and my fellow first-year students made it an incredible experience. I would be remiss if I did not mention that the second-year class has been absolutely invested in coaching and supporting me and my fellow first-years throughout the recruiting process.

Going back to the start of the Fall 1 term, my career fellow, a second-year MBA who provides peer coaching, helped review my résumé and cover letters. Toward the end of the Fall 2 term, he conducted two mock interviews so that I would have a chance to practice before the interview season for kicked off in January for health care summer internships.

My career fellow, though, wasn’t the only second-year to jump in and offer help! The MBA Association vice president of careers coordinated a mock interview week where alumni from all different industries and functions volunteered time to help students practice. It was a wonderful opportunity to not only meet alumni, but also learn more about a specific company in a one-on-one setting. My Health Sector Management buddy also helped me with a mock interview that was more health care focused so that I could see what industry knowledge I needed to beef up on before diving into the real thing. Once we returned from winter break and started first round interviews, I felt very supported when second-year students made time to answer questions and give advice on company-specific interviews.

While my classmates were providing invaluable support in person at Fuqua, the alumni were proactive and excited to help. One group of alumni actually set up a conference call for all the Fuqua second-round interview candidates at a biotechnology company. They gave us all a high-level view of what the interview day would be like, what to expect, and general tips on how to handle the process. It was truly incredible to see Team Fuqua come together to set us all up for success. I strongly believe that because of all the unsolicited support that was offered, the recruiting season, while stressful, was a great deal less anxiety-inducing than it could have been.

I’m looking forward to my summer internship in San Francisco, and I can’t wait to be able to pay it forward and help support the incoming Class of 2017 with recruiting next year!

Epl5WLmaW4Q

More...

How does this impact your International MBA decision?

I'd be glad to learn your thoughts on this story : Recruiting Made Easy with the Help of Team Fuqua