Real Students of HBS

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
Patrick%20Erker.jpg

Patrick Erker is a second year student from St. Louis,Missouri.* Patrick double-majored inPublic Policy and Economics at Duke University. **He then went on to Teach for America, wherehe worked in a 5th grade class on Chicago’s South Side – “thehardest and most rewarding job I have ever had.”* While in Chicago, Patrick obtained a Mastersin Teaching at Dominican University. After TFA, Patrick was selected for thetwo-year Financial Leadership Development Program at Raytheon Company, doingrotations in Los Angeles, Jeddah, and Boston.

Upon graduation from HBS, Patrick will join the Chicagooffice of The Boston Consulting Group, where he spent last summer.

READING: InJanuary this year, I traveled with 39 other HBS students to China on a 10-dayImmersion Experience Program (IXP). *Agroup of us went to Japan after China. After visiting Kyoto, I decided to read Memoirs ofa*Geisha.Surprisingly, I am able to read a lot of books at HBS: I read almost onebook per class in last semester’s “Moral Leader” course.

EATING: I havebecome an evangelist for the Paleo or Caveman diet. It’s an all-natural, backto basics way of eating that includes meat, seafood, vegetables, fruit and nuts.

PLANNING: Travelis always top of mind at HBS. A classmate from Nicaragua just took a group ofus home with him for spring break. This is not unusual as HBS students from allover the world take classmates around to show off their countries. (Word to thewise: go to Nicaragua!) I also want to take advantage of the last long stretchof free time I will have this summer before starting work. I have booked tripsto Spain and New Hampshire, and think I have a couple other big trips in mebefore getting to work.

DREAMING:* My ultimate goal is to run a company and to runfor political office. I have always been interested in business and politicsand have seen the successful precedent set by HBS grads like Mayor Bloomberg,Governor Romney and President Bush, to name a few. *I think the more influence one has, the more positive difference one can make in theworld. At the same time, my Authentic Leadership Development course (ALD) reminded me of the significance of an“integrated life,” where one makes time for family, friends and community.While big career goals are great, there’s nothing I want more than a lovingfamily and great friends.

ANYTHING ELSE: Ihave the most amazing roommates you can imagine. Jonah, Galen and I have trulybecome a family, and I’ll miss them terribly. We plan to get together for areunion every year though; our first trip will be to New Zealand over the NewYear.

More...

Whats your opinion?