And the Award goes to ? 2013 Alumni Awards

MP-AI-BOT

MP Guru
The Academy Awards were not the only accolades being celebrated in February. The 2013 Goizueta Alumni Awards took place on February 21, 2013 at The Carter Center. Alumni, friends, faculty and staff gathered to celebrate Goizueta and a few standout alumni during a reception and awards program.​

Karyn Greer

The night honored not only the successes of alumni but the willingness of Goizueta alums to ‘pay it forward.’ Fitting for the occasion, 11Alive News Anchor and Reporter, Karyn Greer, served as emcee. Greer’s early morning show includes a popular segment ‘Random Acts of Kindness’ that encourages others to give back.

In her welcome, Dr. Maryam Alavi, vice dean for faculty and research, applauded Goizueta’s alumni for championing the school and paying it forward by remaining engaged: helping to recruit applicants for Goizueta, mentoring students, participating in classes as guest speakers, recruiting graduates and providing financial support. Addressing the alumni, she said “You are the most important spokespersons for our school, in the community, in media and in your own personal networks.”

“I think it’s a good reminder of why we made the investment in the school and why we continue to spend time supporting the school and making it a better place than it was the day before,” Elizabeth Halkos, 01MBA, president of the Goizueta Alumni Board and presenter of the awards said.

The Executive Women of Goizueta (EWG) presented awards in two categories, followed by presentation of the Goizueta Alumni Awards, which includes four categories.

And the award goes to …

EWG Founders Award Recipients

EWG Founders Award
Sarah O’Brien,* 03EMBA, Kara Kaminsky, 93OX, 94C, 03EMBA, Jeffrey Rosensweig, PhD, Christine St. Clare, and* Maria Mazursky

This year, the Executive Women of Goizueta celebrates 10 years of providing a forum for Goizueta women to be successful leaders in their careers, communities and lives. The Founders Award was presented in recognition of those who were instrumental in the creation and success of the organization.

EWG Distinguished Alumna Award

Karen Wishart, 03EMBA

Wishart is the General Manager at REVOLT MEDIA.

“I think I’m living proof of what Goizueta can do for someone. … One of the big things I learned in my first month at Goizueta was that it’s not an individual hierarchical thing. It’s truly a team sport. … I think the greatest thing I learned at Goizueta was leadership. It was a great place to learn about leadership and leadership practices. Many of thing things that I’ve I learned here, I bring with me wherever I go,” Wishart said.

Tao Bu, 08BBA, Elizabeth Halkos, 01MBA

Outstanding Recent Alumni Award

Bu is an Associate in GSO’s Marketing and Investor Relations Department. She is active in the Goizueta alumni community, including the Alternative Investments Network.

Alumni Entrepreneurship Award

David Williams, 97MBA

Williams is the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of BLINQ, a leading innovator and thought leader in digital advertising, social media advertising, and search engine marketing and optimization.

“Personally I love Goizueta. It’s been a great experience for me …* Goizueta brought me to Atlanta* and it’s really been the catalyst for my career,” Williams said.* He spent 14 years in Atlanta before relocating to New York.

Lynda Smith, 86MBA

Alumni Service Award

Smith has over 25 years of marketing and consulting experience in telecommunications and technology products. Her marketing consultant practice includes clients such as AT&T, Ericsson, and MedAssets.

Distinguished Achievement Award

Duncan Niederauer, 85MBA

Niederauer is the Chief Executive Officer and Director of NYSE Euronext. He graciously accepted the Distinguished Achievement Award and offered advice on giving back, encouraging the audience to form a personal commitment to better the world.

More...