pratikkk

MP Guru
Employee Retention of Dillard : Dillard's (NYSE: DDS) also known as Dillard's, Inc., based in Little Rock, Arkansas, is a department store chain in the United States, with 330 stores in 29 states.[1] Its locations are concentrated in Texas and Florida; with a major presence in other states including Arizona, Iowa, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Missouri, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, North Carolina, Virginia, Idaho, South Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. Dillard's also maintains a minor footprint in California, and Montana.
Dillard's carries brands such as Chanel, Clinique, DKNY, Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Jones New York, Levi's, and Ralph Lauren.

Dillard's is known to be one of the hardest places to work. Looking for jobs, you usually read their business mission statement. So they claim that they are a 3 billion dollar business. A business with that kind of

money is impressive, right?

Wrong. As I continued to apply my research talents I learned there is a darker side to the Dillard's hiring saga. Why?

I found sites after sites of present employees, and ex employees venting about the Dillard's policies of the sales per hour, known as the SPH. I dismissed the sites as mere disgruntled employees and ex employees trying to ruin their ex employer.

Earlier this year, I applied for a sales position at one of the Dillard's located in Iowa. Upon arrival of the first day, we were explained that the training was revamped for the reason of high employee turn over. Employee turn over was what our Assistant store manager was most concerned about, but when we tried to bring the attention to what caused the employee turn over those reasons were dismissed.

Dillard's employee turn over is Dillard's own fault. In the sink or swim concept of the sales goals that they set for their employees is what is leaving Dillard's sinking. Why would a employee affect Dillard's?

Dillard's holds high to its employee policies, no new fresh ideas are invited and in some concepts it is literally like working under the old Soviet Union. Why would I say such a thing, how ghastly for me to compare such a business to a country that once owned their very citizens in certain terms?

In a week's time, I understood that Dillard's was not an ethical place to work. I was still in my training class and I held to the hope that I was over inflating the concept of the sales per hour goal. I took a look around and looked at some of the other employees, they weren't working. Clothes laid unfolded, crumpled, papers laid upon the floor. They stood as if they were waiting, waiting for prey to come walking down the marbled aisles. I thought to myself, oh, that is why they are getting a pay cut, because they are not keeping their department clean.

The dissertation addresses the issue of employee retention in the retail sector. Literature is reviewed on the HRM theory covering the topics related to employee retention, i.e. reward management, flexible working, job satisfaction, employee training and development, retention approaches used in large retail companies, etc. A case study is conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the retention strategy of Sainsbury’s. The methods of the research are based on the secondary data and the primary data obtained from questionnaires distributed among a hundred Sainsbury’s employees with 21 statements developed to explore the retention issues in the supermarket. Conclusions are made about Sainsbury’s approach to managing their employees.

With unemployment rates heading down and organizations struggling to draw in and retain top quality staff, businesses need to pay close attention to the importance being placed on the significance of healthcare by employees. We now have noticed several times much more and a lot more that workers are initially inquiring about the health benefits plan and then about pay. It’s clear that affordable medical care is on the minds of prospects.
For existing workers, we’ve found that providing greater benefits contributions rather than salary increases is a well received notion. Little companies have their eyes on the bottom line and labor costs are one of the hardest hitting elements. By giving higher contributions to advantages programs business employers can reduce the overall payroll expenses. This is an area that most employers do not invest plenty of time looking at since they believe they are under the impression it’ll be too costly. An additional misconception is that for an excellent advantages contribution plan, an employer need to purchase a group policy. This isn’t the case, a resourceful HR person will assist firm leaders in researching alternative advantages options like mini-meds (miniature medical plans with lower maximum coverage and limited visits), individual medical plans particular to every employee (frequently times significantly lower cost than group rates) and Health Savings Accounts just to name a couple of.
Small companies should undoubtedly take into account benefits options now as there are proponents of legislation to make benefits mandatory for modest to medium size businesses. At the end of 2005 California voters were presented with possible legislation that would require that specific employers supply health coverage for their employees and in some instances dependents through either (1) paying a fee to a new state program primarily to buy private health insurance coverage or (2) arranging directly with health insurance providers for health care coverage. The state would also establish a new program to assist lower-income employees to pay their share of health care premiums.
This referendum lost by just about two percent so we have been keeping our eye on this to resurface again within the extremely near future.
As noted, adding a company sponsored health care option can drastically increase retention of your employees.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Dillard completely restored and refurbished 32 campus buildings and three off-campus residential complexes, and built two new LEED®* registered (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) buildings: the Professional Schools and Sciences Building, and the Student Union and Health & Wellness Center.
In 2010, Dillard entered a partnership with the New Orleans Recovery School District for a new teacher education program that may revolutionize teacher education in New Orleans and, perhaps, serve as a model for programs across the country.
Dillard's physics program has acquired a $1.8 million pulse laser system that allows students to perform graduate level research.
Dillard’s highly acclaimed nursing program was the first of its kind in Louisiana.
Dillard offers 22 academic majors across seven departments and schools.
Dillard’s student-faculty ratio is 11 to one.
Dillard University boasts one of the few Student Success divisions in the nation, a model that focuses on recruitment, retention and support of undergraduates.

While several companies struggle with resolving disputes between management teams and employees or among employees and their colleagues, disputes within expansion stage companies are even far more magnified. I came across an article on Workforce.com today which gives some good insights to help managers to keep their teams working with each other effectively. These good changes will also result in employee retention.

Last edited by a moderator: