As an MBA student what would you look for when you go for a job?

kmrjt

Now a days, there is a craze for MBA, whatever the educational background of the student might have been. Students from all streams are pouring into B schools for a MBA degree every year. The main intention behind this is to land up in a good job. Now, how would you define a 'good job'? What comes first in your list of priorities when you look for a job? Is it the salary or is it the environment of your workplace? Or may be, it is the nature of the boss?
If it is salary, would you leave the job if the poor environment at your workplace is taking its toll on you (even though you are highly paid)? Again, if it is salary, can everyone with a MBA degree expect to be highly paid?
If it is the environment, would you choose the company even if the pay isn't good enough?
Let's discuss.

DesiDude666

Now a days, there is a craze for MBA, whatever the educational background of the student might have been. Students from all streams are pouring into B schools for a MBA degree every year. The main intention behind this is to land up in a good job. Now, how would you define a 'good job'? What comes first in your list of priorities when you look for a job? Is it the salary or is it the environment of your workplace? Or may be, it is the nature of the boss?
If it is salary, would you leave the job if the poor environment at your workplace is taking its toll on you (even though you are highly paid)? Again, if it is salary, can everyone with a MBA degree expect to be highly paid?
If it is the environment, would you choose the company even if the pay isn't good enough?
Let's discuss.

It's not about degrees or even jobs, it's about education. There will always be someone better out of the 10 or so resumes sent for a job. How do you stand, what do you have?

If you want to be competitive, MBA offers an edge. It's all about survival of the most able, in this case, with a post graduate degree (since there is a requirement of a 2-year managerial experience requirement at most valid universities) you give yourself an edge.

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I would first go with the company which offers me a job in my interested area of work.If you are an MBA student in Finance there is no point in working for a media company jus cos they are offering you more salary than a Bank.So first comes the Dept of interest.After tat comes the brand name of the company.Then comes the challenges with the job.If the job is not challening then there is no point in pursuing tat.Next is the job location.Then comes the compensation.

-Deepak.

DesiDude666

I don't mind lower remuneration in exchange for opportunities in the long run. I would prefer working for an unknown (listing is an obvious must for employees with an MBA) company but one that would offer me real long term options - it's a rarity nowadays to work in companies for 10-20 years on the trot, I would like to do that and hopefully rise with the company.

By low remuneration, I mean lower than the 100K a year, what highly experienced MBAs command.

yk_srk

i think, above everything, one's own perspective should be reflected in his or her job. so if u have figured out what u wanna do than u shud do that much only. otherwise u go out, get instructions, complete ur assignment, reort to ur boss and come back...for me an mba shud be adding value to each and every job

pratik.godhani

As a MBA Student for getting good job one must not forget the interview skills To get good job interview skill is most important. Its requires to answer different question.

i am attaching interview question with this post.

thanks

Attachments

• Interview Questions.doc
    174.5 KB · Views: 43

saurabhp22

I would look for a kind of work which offers me exposure towards client's business and where my decisions directly affect the business of company.

akhila acharya

i will go with the profile first,its important in the initial years,then the compensation,the place and the brand name.
I would like to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a big ocean.!

anandsuvid

Salary might be the biggest motivator, but its the profile that will keep u interested in the job 5 yrs down the line.. So I think profile should be given more emphasis...