An MBA in Recession time: Does it make sense?

navin_c

MP Guru
An MBA in Recession time: Does it make sense?

An International MBA is an important decision for most students not only because it involves a substantial investment of money and time, but also because it is important for making a career change for some people. For others, it is a route to making an international career while for others it is simply to seek a good alumni network.

How effective an MBA is, in meeting these end objectives, is clearly a function of what kind of program you enroll into.

In good times, it did not matter much, which B-school you went to, but in bad times like these, every decision can become important. Shorter programs have suddenly gained relevance. In some cases, students have begun to opt for lower cost programs at lesser known B-schools or even seek out specialized programs.

Should one undertake an MBA in such an environment then? While these are good times for a sabbatical, admission in B-Schools are also becoming difficult thanks to the deluge of aspirants in the current environment.

Aspirants with I-T related backgrounds face this problem more than others thanks to the increasing number of former software/hardware engineers who are on the bench these days.

One solution that is often used by students is to increase their number of applications so as to make sure that they are able to get into some school or another. This is not a right move and often works to an applicants disadvantage because he/she is unable to justify to each school why they would want to enroll for their respective program.

Others choose to apply to lower ranked schools than they should be applying to, simply because the number of applications to every school has increased.

Seeking advice can solve a lot of these problems. Talking to students and alumni from your chosen school, local representatives of overseas institutions and doing extensive research on the Internet can be a fruitful exercise in helping you making your shortlist.

PLS DO POST YOUR COMMENTS ON IT.THANKS.................

Last edited by a moderator:

pahuja.chirag

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
doing mba in the recession people will help you grow in the period of recession by providing you tools to overcome recession ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

corvus

I second Naveen. Normally a lot of people look towards an additional degree during a recession. Choosing the right college becomes important and difficult as there will be a lot more applicants than during normal times. If one is hoping to get gainful employment as soon as the course is finished, it depends on whether the recession is over or not. The choice of college that one has made will also be crucial. While the top colleges will always attract employers, recession or no recession, the lower ranked colleges may find it difficult. The best option in such times can be to get into an exec program without sacrificing one's job, if already employed.

manthan_479

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
what i think is...recession is not permanent.........but the degree and quality of education u get is permanent and ur life depends on it..................................so..............

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Isnt MBA OVER-RATED anyway :) ?

In recession, an MBA will be working for pay that is marginally above the non mba and only achievers rise in ranks and positions.

MBA in recession? WHY? Recession gives you a reason to start your own business :)

ornthordarson

I think it really depends on the industry you are working in. Being a Banker in recession is the best school you can ever get. But being in IT might not get you the same experience during a recession, just less work.

hrishikesh_desai

Popular Quote post the current fiasco ........

"There are two sides to a Balance Sheet.- Left & the Right (Liabilities and Assets respectively) on the Left side there is nothing right.. and on the right side there is nothing left"

ravisinha

My views on Recession are that it is a temporary phase. Usually it does take place before the US Presidential elections. Starts improving back after the elections. It may have impacted the economies of many countries but then I believe that the MBA job market has not been affected by it. Many may argue considering the job market of the USA. Well, USA job market has definitely been impacted but is it due to the recession? It is mainly due to anti outsourcing. It may get worse even if the economies improve.

I feel that if you know your job well and are good at it, recession should not be an issue for you while considering a MBA.

spgdilse

ya ....its make huge sense......

bcoz we have invest lumpsum amount of money for our MBA......

bt nw these days wht is happening all around...?

every company is keep on cutting the cost and they r just firing the employees......

so the competetion becomes tough at entry level.

bcoz supply of manpower is more than demand.

really i m so much worried bout my first job.

rght nw i m in pune ...and in city like pune many management trainees are ready to work for 12000/- pm.

condition is drastic.

navin_c

MP Guru
Choosing the best college is important as there are more applicants than during normal times.

ya i do feel choosing the right college is very crucial what ever time it is.....thanks.do keep posting ur comments.admirable.bye.tc:bigsmile:

Nomi

what i think is...recession is not permanent.........but the degree and quality of education u get is permanent and ur life depends on it..................................so..............

Actually, if you rely on the education you got, you will soon be out of date. What you need to do is continue to educate yourself, as the reality around you is constantly changing.

Nomi