Go Back   ManagementParadise.com | Management & Business Education Learning Platform Management Students Voices ( MBA,BMS,MMS,BMM,BBA) > HOT Debates - The Big Fight

managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school???

Discuss managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? within the HOT Debates - The Big Fight forums, part of the Management Students Voices ( MBA,BMS,MMS,BMM,BBA) category; hi there! starting of a new thread with this debate.. actually saw that birla's wala program...also heard abt this never ...

managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school???
Old
 (1 (permalink))
anu shukla
anu shukla is on a distinguished road

anu shukla
Management Paradise Newbie
Smile managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - May 30th, 2006

hi there!
starting of a new thread with this debate..
actually saw that birla's wala program...also heard abt this never ending discussion at iims to change their curriculum!!
an article by an iims grad who said that "today the experience at class room is far apart from ground realities & the education is more of academia"

my views on the same:

focus shud be on managers:based on simple fact that nt many people have the wealth & like mind to start up new ventures...gone are the days of tata & ambani's, today people are more concerned abt getting quick money with less labour!!so being a manager will fetch you a handsome job!! also while in job u have the security as well as comforts!!!
also as more & more foreign investment, emphasis shud be on producing gud managers..instead of wasting time in making them learn the enterpreneurship skills as all doesn't possess that quality!!

enterpreneurs are the need of hour!!evn our president quoted the same!!also while learning the art,one learns how to deal with the ground realities..it gives you an edge to create your own empire , how to face the highs & lows of business /companies..
evn recent trend at iim placements where students rejected the offers ..shows teh same!!

these are my views..wat r urs???
Advertisements

Friends: (0)
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school???
Old
 (2 (permalink))
gaurav200x
gaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond repute

Student of Bachelor of Engineering
Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - May 31st, 2006

i'm a little confused here... what exactly are ur views? u have gone for both

Anyway, i think that wealth creation is not a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu shukla
focus shud be on managers:based on simple fact that nt many people have the wealth & like mind to start up new ventures...gone are the days of tata & ambani's
Correction my lady! Ambani started as a poor man!! He worked abroad for an oil company and amassed a little money and started out with his on venture later on... pretty much like NR murthy.

I would say that 'entrepreneurship' is the need of the hour. What will help India in progress is self-employment for it is the key

Agreed u have the option to do the slavery of these MNC big shots, but that aint going to do much for ur country. Think of it this way... India is suffering from employment.

e.g Currently there are 50 lakh unemployed youth in the country (just for the number). Out of them, atleast 500 start their own business employing about 5000 ppl (acc to their intellectual capability)... that means half the country's prb is solved... aint it? Then think of the amount of wealth generation and rising std of the people.

So definitely, entrepreneurship is the way to go

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Problems in Life? -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Join to get GD notifications, updates

Liked my post? Press the
button

Friends: (5)
Old
 (3 (permalink))
amardeep.rishi
amardeep.rishi will become famous soon enough

Reliance infocomm
Chandigarh
Management Paradise Member
Lightbulb Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - May 31st, 2006

Enterpreneurship is wat is required...the common phrase used by almost all management graduates"company ko bahut paisa kama ke de dia...ab khud kamayenge"
Thats wat a good b school go for u...they imbibe these qualities in u to lead from the front....they give u knowledge and confidence to people to think beyond horizon.I think enterpreneurship is wat b schools r concentrating on.

"Imp0ssible is nOt fact,it's an Opti0n...Imp0ssible is pOtential, imp0ssible is tempOrary.....IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING"
Old
 (4 (permalink))
ch21599
ch21599 is on a distinguished road

AM at TVTN

Institute: JAMIA HAMDARD
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - May 31st, 2006

Good Bschools can create enterprenurs and the eye eye pea yum's can stick to producing managers by the ton ... not everyone can be an enterprenur , i for one think its not possible to create enturprenurship , u can only nurture it ... ofcourse a lot of bschools are intent on killing it by solid faltoo course content and too much emphasis on procedures and routines ....

Beta Duryodhan, ye sab kya ho raha hai ??
Old
 (5 (permalink))
anu shukla

anu shukla
Smile Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - May 31st, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav200x
i'm a little confused here... what exactly are ur views? u have gone for both :
i just presented the leads fr both ways ...fr others to take a stand!! for me , am in favor of managership although a lil bit of enterpneurship skills learning will be like icing on the cake!!!

Quote:
Correction my lady! Ambani started as a poor man!! He worked abroad for an oil company and amassed a little money and started out with his on venture later on... pretty much like NR murthy.:
i truly honour you fr the same...but wat i meant by taking ambani example is that these people didn't care abt the time spent..they were easy going & had an inclination fr starting a business!!

Quote:
e.g Currently there are 50 lakh unemployed youth in the country (just for the number). Out of them, atleast 500 start their own business employing about 5000 ppl (acc to their intellectual capability)... that means half the country's prb is solved... aint it? Then think of the amount of wealth generation and rising std of the people.:
do u really think it is that much easy???a lot of people start off with various business but i said b'fore they lack in sm skills...so finally have to bear losses!!

lookingf frwrd to ur take on the same!!!
Old
 (6 (permalink))
Vishal Bhawsinghka
vishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant futurevishal_1986 has a brilliant future

vishal_1986
Management Paradise Member

Institute: XLRI

an entreprenuer has far more superior brain n creative mind..intellectual thn a manager...so B school focus must b on entreprenuers..coz an entreprenuers is newayz a gr8 manager himself.... nt a big write up..but in simple words..this wht i feel..

1.READ RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE POSTING.REFER FAQS.
2.USE SEARCH OPTIONS.DO NOT ASK FOR PROJECTS.
3.DO NOT POST YOU MAIL IDS.
4.CLICK ON THANKS BUTTON TO THANK A PERSON.
5.DO NOT POST REGARDING HOW INFORMATIVE/HELPFUL A THREAD WAS, RATE IT.
6.POST IN CORRECT SECTIONS.DO NOT SPAM.

Regards
Vishal. B
mail me ->

Contact me -> 9619191952
Friends: (8)
Old
 (7 (permalink))
gaurav200x
gaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond repute

Student of Bachelor of Engineering
Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu shukla
do u really think it is that much easy???a lot of people start off with various business but i said b'fore they lack in sm skills...so finally have to bear losses!!
easy?? hmm... not what i was expecting, dear.. See, define easy... or tell me one entrepreneur who has made it to the hilt "easily"... none is the answer. If things would have been that easy, tab to baat hi kya thi.

The point is that that India today needs to self employment. True managerial posts do offer u huge pay checks, but is that going to bring glory for ur country? serving a foreign master?

Think of oberoi, murthy or even the big shots like Birla... They struggled and struggled and strgguled, before even getting up there....

So, its not about "easy".... but all about employment.

Its not about hat comes off easily, but what needs to be done virtuously

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

Problems in Life? -
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Join to get GD notifications, updates

Liked my post? Press the
button

Friends: (5)
Old
 (8 (permalink))
Kartik Raichura
kartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond reputekartik has a reputation beyond repute

kartik
Founder & CEO at Management Paradise
Founder & CEO
Management Paradise Guru

Quote:
See, define easy... or tell me one entrepreneur who has made it to the hilt "easily"
ME ME MEE... lol jsk kidding.. still a long way to reach the hilt

But i must say... you cannot teach entrepreneurship.. its all inbuilt...

Basically successful entrepreneurs are those who are introverts.. or who dont like to play by the rules..

B schools give know-how .. if one is a entrepreneur .. its because of his own zeal and efforts .

Help Others -> Help Yourself !

Want to work with us and revolutionize management world ? send in a small writeup of what you will do and how with your cv on careers at managementparadise.com

Friends: (92)
Old
 (9 (permalink))
anu shukla

anu shukla
Smile Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 1st, 2006

i too agree with kartik!!!!!
today mostly ( am nt saying all) people opt for being manager rather than opening their own business.reasons to list a few:

1. job security!!( business laways has ups & downs)
2. no need fr sm "extra "skills( anybody can become a manager!!)
3. fit in the bil situation( they can wrk anywhere & everywhere)
4.9-6 job!!(nt exactly but haan really dn't have to go sleepless nights over work11)
5.fat pay package( no need to explain!!)
6.easy to switch over!!( can shuffle between various kinds of job!!)

these are just few of them!!!
so, the pt is if mostly junta seems to go this way (as seen with the trend, nt many opt fr becoming enterpreneurs)
y shud we change the couse of study just fr sake of few handful people having sm inborn instinct!!!

so, the objective shud remain as producing managers (which we still need in large no..!!!) although a few seminars on enterpreneurship will be an add -on!!!
Old
Pratik Mehta
pratik_mehta7 is a jewel in the roughpratik_mehta7 is a jewel in the roughpratik_mehta7 is a jewel in the roughpratik_mehta7 is a jewel in the rough

pratik_mehta7
management trainee at tcs

Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 1st, 2006

a question for all you guys:
given a New Life, what would want to live with: 1)heart
2) Brain.

same goes with this topic, managers are the Brain Powers, whereas ent. function on instincts.
hence it an essence of a B-school, to manage and innovate new ways to make ent. and Man.

Pratik Mehta.)
THE LYCEUM
Mail me Pratik (at) managementparadise (dot) com .
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: