Go Back   ManagementParadise.com | Management & Business Education Learning Platform Management Students Voices ( MBA,BMS,MMS,BMM,BBA) > HOT Debates - The Big Fight

managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school???

Discuss managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? within the HOT Debates - The Big Fight forums, part of the Management Students Voices ( MBA,BMS,MMS,BMM,BBA) category; hi guys! just want to say one thing...was going thru the thread & say a blunder...due to my awful habit ...

Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school???
Old
anu shukla
anu shukla is on a distinguished road

anu shukla
Management Paradise Newbie
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 3rd, 2006

hi guys!
just want to say one thing...was going thru the thread & say a blunder...due to my awful habit of wrong typing i have written enterpreneur( evn in the heading) instead of "Entrepreneur "..error is seriously regretted...
i will make sure that this shud nt happen again!( atleast while giving the caption!!)
thanx
Advertisements

Friends: (0)
Old
gaurav200x
gaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond repute

Student of Bachelor of Engineering
Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 3rd, 2006

I hate to disagree with u, but let me post my views with utmost humility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu shukla
today mostly ( am nt saying all) people opt for being manager rather than opening their own business.reasons to list a few:

1. job security!!( business laways has ups & downs)

Who says? If today's hire-n-fire world, who has job security. Only the competent survives here. Atleast when u are an entrepreneur, u have the satisfaction, that u being the boss, no one can kick u out, although without competence, u can't do anything there.

Quote:
2. no need fr sm "extra "skills( anybody can become a manager!!)
Really? Who says? Being a manager, doesnt mean doing a babu's or a clerk's job. U need to manage a whole team, an entire product, a complete design. U need to work with other people and u need special skills for that. So is the case for an entrepreneur. So, ur no special skills wala argument, doesnt hold good.
Quote:
3. fit in the bil situation( they can wrk anywhere & everywhere)
Well... here i would like to say that if the guy is fit for that job and has a conducive environment, he can work. True, some of it is self-made, however, the fitting doesnt happen everywhere. Besides even an entrepreneur has to wholesome, isnt it. He has to ensure he is able to work the best despite any condition.

Quote:
4.9-6 job!!(nt exactly but haan really dn't have to go sleepless nights over work11)
Trust me... meeting deadlines, managing the project isnt an easy task. True not that much pressure as an entrepreneur, but i dont think working hours can be given a valid agrument status.

Quote:
5.fat pay package( no need to explain!!)
Again? Is it a valid arguement? How can u say managers are better here? i would like to be an entrepreneur so that i can earn much more than by doing service.

Quote:
6.easy to switch over!!( can shuffle between various kinds of job!!)
Yeah! maybe one point that might hold validity.. however, there is no conrete point as such which would jstify ur claim.

Quote:
so, the pt is if mostly junta seems to go this way (as seen with the trend, nt many opt fr becoming enterpreneurs)
y shud we change the couse of study just fr sake of few handful people having sm inborn instinct!!!
i'm sorry, but it is ur view. Do u know that the IIM guys have actually left the bulky pay packages' jobs to start with their own venture. Why is it so? Think....

They want to be the master of their own fate and slave to none!!!

They want to mould the fate of the country with their own hands, rather than using their talents for the benefit of someone else. As i said earlier, entrepreneurship alone can remove the mjor emplyment problem of the country. What we need is more and more budding entrepreneurs!!
Quote:
so, the objective shud remain as producing managers (which we still need in large no..!!!) although a few seminars on enterpreneurship will be an add -on!!!
Hence, i would say that the objective should rather be on entrepreneurship!!

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Problems in Life? -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Join to get GD notifications, updates

Liked my post? Press the
button

Friends: (5)
Old
themaharana
themaharana will become famous soon enough

themaharana
STUDENT
MALAD

Institute: MITHIBAI BMS
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 4th, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_mehta7
a question for all you guys:
given a New Life, what would want to live with: 1)heart
2) Brain.

same goes with this topic, managers are the Brain Powers, whereas ent. function on instincts.
hence it an essence of a B-school, to manage and innovate new ways to make ent. and Man.
good post pratik
Old
anu shukla

anu shukla
Smile Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 5th, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav200x
I hate to disagree with u, but let me post my views with utmost humility.

Hence, i would say that the objective should rather be on entrepreneurship!!
hi there
@gaurav:
HEY TAHTS A NICE QUOTE"I HATE TO DISAGREE..."(HAHAHA!NTHING OFFENDING)back to the pt!!!

thnx dost for telling u ur views on the same...but i think u still are not getting my point,that am trying to convey...
fr iims i do agree there is a developing trend fr studentsto kick the hefty pay chk & go fr entrepreneur BUT its quite visible that this happens on with 2-3 PER SAY 40 STUDENTS...SO STILL A LARGE NUMBER GOES FR BEING MANAGER...ALSO NO SUCH VISIBLE TREND IS SHOWN AMONG MANAGERS OF OTHER INSTITUTES!!!
WAT AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT GVN THE STATISTICS, THEY SHOULD NOT CHANGE THE CURRICULUM ......A LIL BIT OF KNOWLEDGE CAN BE AN ADD ON FR THOSE WHO WANT TO BECOME ENTREPRENEUR!!

EVN BUSSINESSMEN DO AGREE TAHT "NOT EVERYONE POSSESS THE ENTREPRENEUR SKILLS"
ALSO THEMANAGERS ARE ALWAYS CALLED AS ONE "FIT IN THE BILL TYPES"JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE GIVEN SUCH KNOWLEDGE IN THEIR MBA THAT THEY CAN WRK ALMOST EVERYWHERE...THEY ARE MORE ADAPTABLE TO EXISTING ENVIRONMENT..
fr being atiring job...all i can say is taht if we start counting such stuff as tiring then i think the call centre exec wrks the hardest!!isn't it?
wat am trying to say is noo such hullabu abt wrking sleepless nights(although once in a while is justified gvn their nature of wrk) fr managers..

Quote:
Again? Is it a valid arguement? How can u say managers are better here? i would like to be an entrepreneur so that i can earn much more than by doing service
*(i wISH that if u think this way u should become a gr888 entrepreneur witha big empire!then i will be able to say that there was atime whn we fought abt the same thing!!!hahahah!!!!best wishes from my side)

BUT AGAIN THE THING IS THIS IS UR PERSONAL THOUGHT!!!!I WUD REQST U TO SHOW ME VALID FACTS & DATA IF U HAVE COME ACROSS TO PROVE THAT THE CURRICULUM SHOULD BE CHANGED AIMING AT BECOMING ENTREPRENEURS!!

thnx fr giving a tough fight...but at the end things always works on facts & figures !!!

@pratik: must saya very valid post..seems that u have become half of a manager.... u have given a very diplomatic answer..which i think u can
plss elaborate a lil more( atleast fr me) to come to a conclusion !!!!
Old
gaurav200x
gaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond reputegaurav200x has a reputation beyond repute

Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru
Cool Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 5th, 2006

Well very sweet post from u... and i really like those ppl, jo ladte hain, magar pyar se...

Quote:
fr iims i do agree there is a developing trend fr studentsto kick the hefty pay chk & go fr entrepreneur BUT its quite visible that this happens on with 2-3 PER SAY 40 STUDENTS...SO STILL A LARGE NUMBER GOES FR BEING MANAGER...ALSO NO SUCH VISIBLE TREND IS SHOWN AMONG MANAGERS OF OTHER INSTITUTES!!!
WAT AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT GVN THE STATISTICS, THEY SHOULD NOT CHANGE THE CURRICULUM ......A LIL BIT OF KNOWLEDGE CAN BE AN ADD ON FR THOSE WHO WANT TO BECOME ENTREPRENEUR!!
Well Anu, Lemme tell u... entrepreneurship is all about passion... It is the secret love which u have in ur body, ur mind, which u want to explore. The guys who choose this stream have read the same books... they're made of the same flesh and blood... yet they choose it differently. Why? Its all about passion. However, we (the b-schools) need to make sure... that they encourage such pppl... why?? bcoz of the reasons i told earlier. When u talk of the trend, i think it is changing. It is not about IIMs or a lower grade b-school... its all about self and how much motivated can u get from ur college and it is this motivation, which the b-school cadres need to strike upon!!
Quote:
EVN BUSSINESSMEN DO AGREE TAHT "NOT EVERYONE POSSESS THE ENTREPRENEUR SKILLS"
ALSO THEMANAGERS ARE ALWAYS CALLED AS ONE "FIT IN THE BILL TYPES"JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE GIVEN SUCH KNOWLEDGE IN THEIR MBA THAT THEY CAN WRK ALMOST EVERYWHERE...THEY ARE MORE ADAPTABLE TO EXISTING ENVIRONMENT..
fr being atiring job...all i can say is taht if we start counting such stuff as tiring then i think the call centre exec wrks the hardest!!isn't it?
wat am trying to say is noo such hullabu abt wrking sleepless nights(although once in a while is justified gvn their nature of wrk) fr managers..
About the skills and the working hours... i would repeat what i said. Its all about the passion. If u want to achieve something great, u have to work for it. If u want a better project, u need to burn ur midnight oil. Same goes with businessmen...

Regd, skills... well adaptibility is the mark of a good business man... The one who cant , is left out... So no issues/difference among the 2 here!!

Quote:

*(i wISH that if u think this way u should become a gr888 entrepreneur witha big empire!then i will be able to say that there was atime whn we fought abt the same thing!!!hahahah!!!!best wishes from my side)
So sweet!!!!! thanks a lot, dearie!!
p.s. i love fighting!!
Quote:
BUT AGAIN THE THING IS THIS IS UR PERSONAL THOUGHT!!!!I WUD REQST U TO SHOW ME VALID FACTS & DATA IF U HAVE COME ACROSS TO PROVE THAT THE CURRICULUM SHOULD BE CHANGED AIMING AT BECOMING ENTREPRENEURS!!

thnx fr giving a tough fight...but at the end things always works on facts & figures !!!
Well what kinda facts do u want... facts are also based on logic,aint it.. When i talk of the employment.. when i talk of the skill level.. its all logically based. Still, u can see urself... the growing trend... the attitude of the graduates... more inclined towards being an entrepreneur...

What i would say is that it comes from ur inner self. You know that entrepreneurship is the answer to ur country's employment problem. You know, that being an entrepreneur, u can earn much more, so why wouldnt u go for it. Likewise, the focus would also change. The B-schools would also promote entrepreneurship.... and hence my thoughts!!

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

Problems in Life? -
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Liked my post? Press the
button

Old
anu shukla

anu shukla
Smile Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 5th, 2006

Quote:
Well very sweet post from u... and i really like those ppl, jo ladte hain, magar pyar se... ...

what i would say is that it comes from ur inner self. You know that entrepreneurship is the answer to ur country's employment problem. You know, that being an entrepreneur, u can earn much more, so why wouldnt u go for it. Likewise, the focus would also change. The B-schools would also promote entrepreneurship.... and hence my thoughts!!

hey gaurav
boss tum phass gayei , u urself have admitted taht it comes from ur inner self!!! sooo nt everybody has that willingness( to be frank)
soo y we make the objective of a b- school to produce entrepreneur!!!

i agree with you fully that its one of the idealistic soln to unemployment prob, but blv me nt many will gain from it!!!
as far as facts& figs are concerned, logic do play a imp role BUT at the end of the day bigger changes ( like changing the course struucture) are always made by studying the common trend!!!

wat u say?
Old
gaurav200x

Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 5th, 2006

Quote:
hey gaurav
boss tum phass gayei , u urself have admitted taht it comes from ur inner self!!! sooo nt everybody has that willingness( to be frank)
soo y we make the objective of a b- school to produce entrepreneur!!!

i agree with you fully that its one of the idealistic soln to unemployment prob, but blv me nt many will gain from it!!!
as far as facts& figs are concerned, logic do play a imp role BUT at the end of the day bigger changes ( like changing the course struucture) are always made by studying the common trend!!!
Well... sorry, for the delayed response.... Now lets see...

The point here is not willingness... but about bringing out that hidden desires. how many of us willing study... exams aate hain to padhte hain

Now, it depends on person-2-person. Some ppl have these hidden desires just waiting to be explored. So, if the B-school gives an emphasis on it, isnt it possible, that u would get more no. of entrepreneurs who would be inspired and would want to do something gr8 for their country.

Why does the defence advertise? bcoz it wants to show the people, who do not know about the glories of a defence job. It doesn't compel...only stresses!! Like-wise, the B-school should not compel, only stress (hope, this sentence clears any confusion, if it still persists)

Quote:
but blv me nt many will gain from it
and why?? who are these gainers that we talking about?Is it the country? Is it some people or is it the mass?

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

Problems in Life? -
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Liked my post? Press the
button

Last edited by gaurav200x; June 7th, 2006 at 01:20 PM..
  Send a message via Yahoo to gaurav200x  
Old
Great_II
Great_II is an unknown quantity at this point

Great_II
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 6th, 2006

See an enterpreneur can not be created by Training only his "managerial Skills" are enhanced and/or Added.
So it remains an enterpreneur too is a Manager.
A B.School has to nurture Management Talent for an MBA and its upto the Candidates Choice or Talent to be an Enterpreneur.Its not that B.schools take in a almost risk savvy folks and make them into risk averse Suited Fella's with cool Laptops.
There's nothing in curriculum which can make you an enterpreneur.
As for selection of Enterpreneur or normal Job wallah MBA.A good Junta "lies" or "chickens" out of their "Entrepreneur" Dreams.
Old
anu shukla

anu shukla
Smile Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 8th, 2006

Quote:
Well... sorry, for the delayed response.... Now lets see...

.......and why?? who are these gainers that we talking about?Is it the country? Is it some people or is it the mass?
hi gaurav
dost all i want to say is taht if u go thru the former converse , i think smhwre we are regressing from the topic as" its nt about which is more imp the entrepreneurship or manager..but the fact that what should bschool studies should aim at ?" for the generalised convention( followed till now!) these curriculum changes can't be done just by thinking of a bunch of innovvative minds...
( as great-II also said,it can't be created......)
decisions have to be taken in general interest...so acc to me the answer lies smwhere between the two
1.they just continue with the current studies..as they have a subject as
"bussiness ethics" in their curriculum vitae..which is already suffice fr those ignited minds..
2.we can start of with say 1-2 new inst that can act as sharpels fr the crystals( managers) to turn them into diamonds( entrepreneurs)

but as i say "there is no need to change the whole curriculum just fr the sake of a new idea!!!!
gaurav ur comments plss...hahah!!!
take care
anu
Old
gaurav200x

Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Management Paradise Guru
Re: managers or enterpreneurs -what should be the objective of b-school??? - June 8th, 2006

Any new comments/ideas can be given provided a change of mind is there and new ideas could be thought of with a rational mentality. You aren't thinking of the nation as a whole.

Anyway, i think somewhere we have shifted from the point of conversation. So, there is no point in repeating things. I still stand on my views... that the B-schools should atleast stress more on entrepreneurship.

p.s. i do appreciate/respect ur viewpoints, nonetheless!

Regards,
Gaurav Mittal

Problems in Life? -
!!

Would u like to see
Blog Updated !!!

ONLINE GD -

Liked my post? Press the
button

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: