The __-BMS Experience 2005-2006

perceptible

Hi Guys! My idea of posting this thread is simple: I don't think BMS taught me what it is supposed to; although better than other courses under the university, I think there's a lot more to 'professionalism' than what this course promises. Perhaps, my opinion is personal and specific to my college, but I'm sure many of you would agree to some of my points.

So, here goes.
( I wrote this on 29th of April when the course ended with its final exam on that day....Once, you are through with the article, you will know why that title)

Finally....Freedom
Finally, it's all over now; or one may say that it is the beginning of all things!

The days of drudgery in the Mumbai University Education System for me ended today on 29th April 2006.

I took my final exams for Bachelor of Management Studies course alongwith thousands of others who too felt this sigh of relief!

It's amazing how one feels so knowledgeable and yet so naive as one exits the University to enter the Industry.

Although, BMS, being a 'professional' course did help me a lot. But the question is does that qualify me to become a 'professional' manager?

Yesterday I was roting the different points for 'Evaluation of Criteria for Selection of an Ad Agency', and YES! I hit the jackpot when I saw that question on the paper. It was a juicy paper - totally worth all the writing. Juiced up in the sense that each answer I had roted carried 10 marks each and I could literally score (well, almost).

All my answer paper needed was the right keywords with underlines and 'neat' presentation skills. Well, that's one heck of a professional approach I have developed!

'Professionalism' and 'Practicality' were the only two things that I barely touched upon throughout my course duration. Although, I will admit that the presentation skills helped me somehow in communication to a large audience. But what's the point of presenting a report to the same bunch of people who would eventually become so close peers that they will either distract you or co-operate with you while you are speaking and you would STILL be comfortable with it! It becomes merely a monotonous activity.

There are no doubts about my internal assessment during the course of the projects, assignments, attendance or even 'classroom participation'. I noticed how the professor used to jot down minute points of participation, attendance and presentation skills when no one was looking.

The problem lies no t in the system or the syllabus wholely, the people responsible for the management of the system are responsible for the failure of the course.

I must admit though, I have learnt a hell lot from this course like finishing projects within deadlines. But what even if after having done that, the professor assesses me on the basis of the number of times I smile at him OR on mere face value!

As one of my friends says, 'Don't let the Institution ruin your Education'...Education and Learning can never stop.

Now its time to discover what I'm really made of; once I 'm out armed with a degree (whose intrinsic values are doubtful);

From Now On, What I'm and what I really know is going to matter the most.

The journey to 'Self-Discovery' and Realization of my true potential begins now!!

FREEDOM TO DISCOVER; FREEDOM TO GROW; FREEDOM TO SHOW WHAT YOU ARE REALLY MADE OF!!!

Cheers! To all those who could pass this test of endurance where without asking the reason why, you went on to get something that is unfortunately the only form of recognition of your competence (those of you who really have any) the industry.

Finally, I would like to end this post by thanking the University of Mumbai to teach me the following concept:-

Rote learning

Rote learning, is a learning technique which avoids grasping the inner complexities and inferences of the subject that is being learned and instead focuses on memorizing the material so that it can be recalled by the learner exactly the way it was read or heard. In other words, it also means learning just for the test.

The major practice involved in rote learning techniques is learning by repetition, based on the idea that one will understand the meaning of the material the more they repeat it. However, in many fields, especially mathematics, this can often produce poor results.

Rote learning is sometimes disparaged with the derogative terms parrot fashion, regurgitation or mugging because one who engages in rote learning may give the wrong impression of having understood what they have written or said. However, some material can only be learned in this fashion. For example, when learning the Latin alphabet or the conjugation of foreign irregular verbs, one must simply memorize because there is little or no inner complexity that can be grasped. Rote learning can be risky because institutions, systems and people have a tendency to fixate on its benefits. The system is widely practiced in schools across India, People's Republic of China, Chinese medium schools, Singapore and Greece. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

SNEHALT

i agree with u completely. I joined this course with so much of hopes . I thought it would focus more on the practicality of the subject rather than the theorotical part .............. it would help me face the corporate world more efficiently. But by the end of it ........ all i did was the repetition. I dont think apart from better communication skills , i have aquired anything good from this course.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
I would say that university is only a facilitator and a means to knowledge and not an end.

I do agree about being judged on the face value and our board question paper is a bad a$$ with no practical approach whatsoever.

But, thats how the real world functions. In industry you will be judged on your face value. No company is transparent. It too has politics.

So I would say that even though the BMS course is not practical in its approach when it comes to syllabus and studies... it is practical when it comes to the real world. As its all politics , games and glory.

Think about it ;)

A.J.

Maverick
I think it's been a waste of 3 years to be honest. :aj1:

Ah well, atleast I enjoyed the ride :aj1: :aj:

Hey, perceptible, can u tell me from which college u r?

How u can tell this bms course is a wastage of 3 years. One must understand that here r so many things that - which we don't know - can be studied by us for the future's competition.

i'm in s.y.b.m.s., my college has didn't given me (us) - so far - much better teachers. But i hav gained knowledge more than enough.

So, plz bms students ,don't make weaker degree to bms, as it is already weaker & many pepole don't know abt it. So, u bms guys n gals should tell others - b.com., bbm, bba, b.sc., b.a., etc. - the advantages of bms, & must not disadvantages of bms.

A.J.

Maverick
rahul_parab2006 said:
So, plz bms students ,don't make weaker degree to bms, as it is already weaker & many pepole don't know abt it. So, u bms guys n gals should tell others - b.com., bbm, bba, b.sc., b.a., etc. - the advantages of bms, & must not disadvantages of bms.

You mean hoodwink them????:SugarwareZ-064:

Pull a fast one over them??? :aj1:

Tsk tsk.......the morals of the youth these days.... :aj1: :aj:

vishal_1986

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
perceptible said:
Hi Guys! My idea of posting this thread is simple: I don't think BMS taught me what it is supposed to; although better than other courses under the university,...............................................................................
Rote learning is sometimes disparaged with the derogative terms parrot fashion, regurgitation or mugging because one who engages in rote learning may give the wrong impression of having understood what they have written or said. However, some material can only be learned in this fashion. For example, when learning the Latin alphabet or the conjugation of foreign irregular verbs, one must simply memorize because there is little or no inner complexity that can be grasped. Rote learning can be risky because institutions, systems and people have a tendency to fixate on its benefits. The system is widely practiced in schools across India, People's Republic of China, Chinese medium schools, Singapore and Greece. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

hi thr Perceptible...well... i do nt agre 2 ur points.... lemme tel u 1 thing...

the post tht u hv made .....tht is wht BMS has given u... tought u.... 2 write ...2 think..n n 2 explore thing better.... u say...BMS has done this...BMs is this n tht...well dude... all tht u r capable of today...i thnk n...no other course would hv made u the way u r today.... never curse wht u got... newayz..best of luck for future.... it was u ..who urself took the decision n now dnt feel .....abt it...

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Guyz i would ask you not to shun perceptibles post if you dont have proper statements that support your comments.

Counter only if there are supportive statements.

Keep the thread going .... there is much room for improvement and I m quite sure the university profs would like to read this !!

khushg

hi guys...

i totally agree with perceptilbes... i wont say that it was totally waste... but BMS is really not something great...specially when your college does not provides you with proper infrastructure and faculty members... then it really sucks... and we can surely develop our communication skills and presentation skills etc... but i think there is much more we could explore being BMS students... i think PROFESSIONALISM is one thing which is extremely necessary for BMS people...which obviously lacks...atleast in our college(exceptions are always there-like few ppl in our coll have maintained it)

nice work perceptibles... keep going..

regards
-khushboo...

chaitalithakker

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hiii...

the bms experience is just like 3yrs went in one second... i didnt ever felt tht i will shortly become a graduate ...

BMS has given me lot of things.... my name, fame, image , my changed personality,, too many qualities etc (which v all knows)

my experience started very differently....

As i was an average student so my parents were against for doing me BMS and i cant go against them.. my whole group of 15 frnds were going to appear bms ccee exam and they took admission in october itself when my HSC was going and i was just an exception for not doing it but i was not feeling ashamed or jealous of it bcoz i knew jo takdir mein hai voh hona hi hai.. but in my group i was the one who was against bms...thought as faltoo but also wished to do it bcoz of frnds so i tried to convinced a lot .. tht was the whole 3 months....
but atlast my dad kept a condition tht if i get 60% in my preliems thn they will allow JUST TO GIVE CCEE.. and i was not in any position to get 40% so i lost hope tht BMS mere liye nahi hai... and more bad luck those whoever i asked abt bms told its too tough and i cant do it... so all negative impact...

but suddenly i got 65% in preliems and i took admission... now last moment...

dad again kept condition of getting 60% in HSC board exams and again luck favoured me and i got 76% so against all people i took BMS in my coll as there were yet some personal problems there so...and my whole group who appeared with me the ccee did Bcom and i alone who was against it came here and all favoured bms went in other side...

but this way my one second tht 3yrs bms started and it got completed....

as bahot jyada bak bak kiya.....

in short my experience was memorable, unbelievable tht i did it...and also gave me alot.to learn .....

as its now on each an every person who how takes bms as ??? right.... may be the person who must have not adopted the qualitative stuff frm the course might find it waste...no grudges.. just my views...

so the bms aspirants go for it.... its excellent course... trust me it will totally change ur personality.... go for it...

bye

A.J.

Maverick
chaitalithakker said:
BMS has given me lot of things.... my name, fame, image , my changed personality,, too many qualities etc (which v all knows)

Why does it seem to me that someone's hyerbolising things a bit??? :aj1: :aj:

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
A.J. said:
Why does it seem to me that someone's hyerbolising things a bit??? :aj1: :aj:

:pound: Lol..! New word to ma dictionary can u put some light on this 1.!!!:SugarwareZ-098:

Last edited:
well m a 2nd yr BMS student ...n i agree to the fact tht most of our proffessors go with da face value.BMS students are known to be future professionals...no doubt...BMS is better than other courses but it even depends on the institute from where u are doing the course soo now wen u r in2 this feild,think on the positive side..

pratik_mehta7

Pratik Mehta
i wwould really applaud the varsity guys to have introduced such a course. like u have 38 subjects, and it really teaches us to be a manager in real sense and inculcates the values of hard and fast life. the projects and submissions emulate the company deadlines of work. its a good course4.

roshcrazy

MP Guru
umm, i dont thnk it wud be rite to blame the course..the course is v. well designed and it solely depends on u how u make most of it..wen profs assign u proj. try to make best outta it..go to industries make corporate contacts...there are these fests n seminars..try n participate in organising those events..the theoritical part in the course is as sad as in any other course..[spclly law n evm..i ahte these subs.]

but wen it comes to projs. n event managing, 1 gets to learn a lot..while u r assigned a proj. u gotta work in group..those conflicts btw members, dealing with ur grp well, tryin to explain them ur points, coordinating well, many many thngs to learn...
i wud say BMS is a very good course..though the quality of BMS is diluting these days coz students dont take the projs. seriously ....simply pickin up others projects, or collecting matter from net and presenting as proj.-this cud be done by any1..the efforts, the research isnt done..so it depends on the individual how 1 makes most of the exposure offered by the course..

i personally believe its a good course...

gaurav2k7

hi thr Perceptible...well... i do nt agre 2 ur points.... lemme tel u 1 thing...

the post tht u hv made .....tht is wht BMS has given u... tought u.... 2 write ...2 think..n n 2 explore thing better.... u say...BMS has done this...BMs is this n tht...well dude... all tht u r capable of today...i thnk n...no other course would hv made u the way u r today.... never curse wht u got... newayz..best of luck for future.... it was u ..who urself took the decision n now dnt feel .....abt it...

:SugarwareZ-177: