Which is better- Doing MBA as fresher Or with Work Experience

prateekjain

Hi friends

I am just about to finish my MBA prog. from ICFAI Hyderabad. Prior to MBA i worked with an organization for 1 year.

In all these days of MBA , i personally felt that MBA would add more value and would prove to be more helpful for those who have previously worked somewhere.A person with a relevant work ex , knows things like :- industry structure, code of conduct, accepted norms, current trends e.t.c , which a fresher lacks.
This trend is prevalent in all the foreign universities and few Indian colleges like ISB Hyderabad have put in practice.

On top of that a person with a work -ex would definitely add value to class room discussion by sharing his experience and would help in generating a positive thought process.Such people would be able to practically relate theories with industrial practices.

I feel that minimum 2 years of work ex should be made mandatory for all the management exams

WHATS UR TAKE ON THAT ???

keep rocking:SugarwareZ-191: :SugarwareZ-191:

Prateek jain

raman_103

Doing MBA after work-ex is more better,

I am doing MBA after 3 years of work experience in diff. sectors.
I appreciate you for starting an Interesting topic
in GMAT its compulsory to have 2 years work-ex

Now I can easily understand the basic of

Productions - Line of Balance etc.
Raw Materials , we can have complete knowledge of Production Management if we are at Production Level.

If we work at Capital Market
we came to Know about
Demand & Supply
Laws of Returns, Laws of Diminishing Marginal Utility
Pricing
Forecasting - also applicable in field of Marketing

If we work as sales manager / somewhere at selling

we came to know about
Our attitude of Talking with Customers , External People

How to maintain Good Relations Externally & Internally

What might be the difficulties ? What we face all difficulties?

We get solutions in our books by using diff. methords & Techniques of Managment.

It's also very imporatant in case of HR.
Human Value as assest, we came to Know how to access the results how to regard them how to appreciate them.

MBA - Master of Buisness Administration
which can be learnt only by Peforming Buisness Activites ,
i.e. to Produce & to Sell, to get our work done by others .

These are my views
Give your opinion too.

Thanks

Raman Singhal
Jodhpur Institute of Management

prateekjain

hey raman

That was a well justified reply .Really appreciate the way u explained the relevance of work experience through different angle.

Even i complete agree with u. Prior to doing MBA, i was working on a sales front and never got a exposure of capital markets ,banking and financial institution. I really found it bit difficult to relate the theories with practical applications.

Though with my summer training in financial institution i was able to bridge that gap. But i strongly feel that work experience should be made mandatory .

Regards

Prateek Jain
ICFAI Hyderabad.

serendipity

hi...
i appreciate ur point but Being a fresher you can understand things more easily because we always find this problem with work ex ppal dat it is difficult for them to unlearn something and relearn.
I agree experience helps in visualizing business situation easily but even if fresher want he can relate to situation by field knowledge i.e corporate interaction

shah0k

Hi friends

I am just about to finish my MBA prog. from ICFAI Hyderabad. Prior to MBA i worked with an organization for 1 year.

In all these days of MBA , i personally felt that MBA would add more value and would prove to be more helpful for those who have previously worked somewhere.A person with a relevant work ex , knows things like :- industry structure, code of conduct, accepted norms, current trends e.t.c , which a fresher lacks.
This trend is prevalent in all the foreign universities and few Indian colleges like ISB Hyderabad have put in practice.

On top of that a person with a work -ex would definitely add value to class room discussion by sharing his experience and would help in generating a positive thought process.Such people would be able to practically relate theories with industrial practices.

I feel that minimum 2 years of work ex should be made mandatory for all the management exams

WHATS UR TAKE ON THAT ???

Prateek jain
i agree, min. 2 yrs of exp. shud ne made mandatory for MBA

krpankajsingh

Hi guys,
As far as my opinion says it is always better that u should have work experience . if u have proper work experience than it'll help u during u r summers and final placement. A part form this u r understanding is always better than others understanding during the class our's.

So it is advisable that u should have some experience before joining MBA program.

Regards
Pankaj

reminicism

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
what the hell does it matter?
when you will end up doing the same job in both the cases..
one would be having technical knowhow and management skills later
the later would gain managerial knowledge and implement them later...

prateekjain

Well it depends on what satisfies u most

• Doing some thing , without even knowing the implication and relevance of the same

or
  • Understanding the logic as to why certain things are to be done in certain way n then doing it to perfection

Well its ur take again:SugarwareZ-191:

:SugarwareZ-191: :SugarwareZ-191:

thanks and regards
prateek jain

what the hell does it matter?
when you will end up doing the same job in both the cases..
one would be having technical knowhow and management skills later
the later would gain managerial knowledge and implement them later...

onlypiyush

Even I agree with having a prior work ex. It actually lays down a foundation for learning. During your job, you, ideally, come to know what you don't know. This helps you in learning the exact required things. This saves a lot of time plus you will be more focused on what you want.

dhiren_te

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi,

I too would like to agree with the fact that doing MBA after work experience is a good thing...as the management principles which are taught in the MBA curriculum...a experience guy id\s able to relate it to his work environment and understand it more better than an fresher....

But,
There are some disadvantages of doing an mba after experience as wel..that is you are out of touch with the studies...and believe me it is really tough nut to crack to get going with the regular studies...

viky_ahuja

I also think that doing mba as a experience person is really good....
as he also help in understanding the studies with its experience...

prateekjain

HI
its not that a fresher would not be able to make it ...Its jus that a fresher misses the practical experience. In majority of the cases all the things we end up learning and doing in mba are the problem faced by various corporation around the world.So probably who has some relevant work experience would be able to relate the academic concept better.

But in many cases it is also seen that a fresher comes with an open mind towards learning and a person with a work ex comes with a pre conceived notion. This is where the freshers gains an edge over the work ex ..

so not to worry much .But ya i still support work experience.

prateek jain

could anyone tell me why not fresher.... is he not able to understand the concepts?

mil_vid

well as far as understanding of the concepts is concerned then anyone can have the idea, but when it come to analysis of practical situations, work exp do help a lot...you can easily compare your actual experience to the given situations...

archiej

I too agree that there should be a minimum of 2 years work ex. Being a fresher, sometimes I think may be I should have worked for an year atleast.

But again, not everyone thinks alike. Its upto the individual to make the call!

suhaneyji

well i am also in favour of the opinion that work-ex helps in understanding the relevance of the subjects while studying MBA.
as an example for systems people,there are subjects like Information Systems for Management or EIA,if u are a fresher,its a real diffcult thing to understand the management hierarchy while studying those subjects,
similar examples can also be given for other subjects like HR,Finance,Marketing jobs also.

tasha_0

i thk work experience is better before you go a MBA cos u lear to use ure theoritical knowledge practically..

ajroxtar

A fresher is more open to learning in the class room environment. But when it comes to practical implementation of the concepts learned an experienced person would have a stronger hand. So it really depends on wether you want to learn the concepts or you want to know how to implement them. Im in the process of completeing 1 year of my work experience apart froma correspondence diploma. I think working gives a more practical and therefore a more holistic view on the management concepts.

My vote is for doing MBA after atleast a couple of years of experience.