Why do Big Organizations Hire Only from top MBA Institutes? Are they right?

meheer

So, "Why do Big Organizations Hire Only from top MBA Institutes?". Are they trying to say that smaller institutes do not teach worthy graduates?

We all know the truth behind the hiring process of big organization. I mean, how often do we come across a job description that reads, "You must be an IIM / XLRI / IBS graduate".

Long while back, I once met the Senior Vice President (Human Resources) of one of India's largest conglomerate and asked him the same question. He replied, 'You are right, Meheer. But the probability of finding a good graduate from a smaller institute is less'. I said, "So is it worth not giving these graduates a chance to prove themselves?". He kindly replied, "I appreciate your concerns. But would be much happier, if you came upto me with a solution to filter such candidates quicker than it would usually do."

Can anyone have a fool-proof way to filter out better candidates from a larger crowd of lesser ranked institutes? Moreover, is there a definition of a good candidate that stands out as a graduate?

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
I was sipping a cup of coffee with VP of a global bank. They used to hire only from IIM A B C , until the recession came in. During recession they started hiring 2 candidates from JBIMS, Welingkar etc at the same cost that they'd hire one IIM A guy.

The logic goes that a guy who has struggled as much to get into an IIM A must be really motivated in life and is a super achiever. These self motivated bunch of people like to maintain an aura around them and deliver superfluous results for any given task.

Great companies are built with great people and its much easier to find that lot in the top rung IIM's.

That being said, there is enough talent at the local level in smaller b-schools but it is like finding a diamond in the rough.

You might as well go to a diamond store and buy one when you need one ?

bensimo

Bennet Simonton
Why? Obviously because it makes a lot of common sense.

But for the long run, it is more important that a company know how to create a fully engaged, highly committed, and highly motivated workforce and thus how to coach/train new managers to do so. Most schools are stuck teaching a command and control approach to managing people and it is well known for demotivating and disengaging employees. Control gets you compliance while autonomy gets you engagement. Control fails to provide what employees want: to be respected and valued, and be allowed to be proud of what they do.

Best regards, Ben Simonton
Leadership is a science and so is engagement

calvothon

How about this , if you're going to opt for a surgery , are you going to ask a 5th year resident qualified to do it , or his mentor whose qualified as well.
Everyone's qualified , But it's the titles that matter. So yeah , can't blame em for picking the mentor , can't blame em for picking only the top mba institutes

hvking

People from top colleges are toppers in academics since childhood. So, only they can succeed. But, opportunities must be given to smaller b-schools students.

meheer

How about this , if you're going to opt for a surgery , are you going to ask a 5th year resident qualified to do it , or his mentor whose qualified as well.
Everyone's qualified , But it's the titles that matter. So yeah , can't blame em for picking the mentor , can't blame em for picking only the top mba institutes

I actually disagree with you to some extent. So, most effectively you are conveying that you would rather opt for title which has resulted from a few exams well written. Doesnt that kind of put the entire system to a controlled environment that does things with least innovation and creativity?

Why? Obviously because it makes a lot of common sense.

But for the long run, it is more important that a company know how to create a fully engaged, highly committed, and highly motivated workforce and thus how to coach/train new managers to do so. Most schools are stuck teaching a command and control approach to managing people and it is well known for demotivating and disengaging employees. Control gets you compliance while autonomy gets you engagement. Control fails to provide what employees want: to be respected and valued, and be allowed to be proud of what they do.

Best regards, Ben Simonton
Leadership is a science and so is engagement

I think you have an excellent point there. However, there are top schools in there practicing the same teaching methods as the other mediocre ones. And so there is a lingering feeling that the quality of students is a mere consequence of tough academic competitive admissions.

People from top colleges are toppers in academics since childhood. So, only they can succeed. But, opportunities must be given to smaller b-schools students.

That is my point. However, we need to find a solution to the issue. How can we provide a platform?

nicky72

NO its not right, students from small institutes must get chance to prove themselves.. So the solution to this may be: Big organizations can conduct their own exams in which students from any institute can participate in it and the selection of students depends on the results...

It can be a platform for those students who don't even get chance to prove themselves...

ishankelvalkar

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
The answer lies in the question itself..The HR teams have lots of pressure to complete recruitment in tight schedule and choose cream of students..
The obvious choice is to go for colleges which are best in town rather than searching actual potential..
Student from top institute can be trained and made suitable while on job training.