Can we humanize technology ?

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Samsung Galaxy S III - " Designed for Humans? "

S3-Logo.png

Designed for Humans? I mean really, couldn't you come up with a better tag line?

I wondered what it meant and come across a funnier image

224416_10151094885143348_1051190313_n.jpg

Clearly there is a need for innovations to add a human element to technology. Maybe a GPS that yells at you like a human when you don't take directions. Or a phone that understands how long you're staring at it and doesnt turn the lights off. Apple went one step further and tried to give you SIRI a virtual assistant / girl friend / friend who would be your companion and help you out with your chores like another salaried assistant would but couldn't quite make her perform in the same way.

Global giants are making strides to humanize technology, though the question remains can we humanize technology? If yes, how significantly?

What aspects of your life do you think technology can humanize? Any weird innovations you could think of?

Lets brainstorm.

meheer

I think we are getting there. The progress however may be a little slow. There are a few random examples of futuristic Human adoption. I remember watching a video on TED (ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html)

I think, the road is steep due to the slow adoption of technologies on the supplier's side. The innovations coming in from the iPhone team (minus Mr. Jobs) of recent haven't quite created the WOW factor. This factor enforces the recent thoughts on lack of innovation in BIG companies.

I would therefore, support and keep an eye on innovations at smaller companies who arguably have flexible business objectives.

mohyal

I don't think humanization of technology is possible in any way! Company's may come up with new ideas and new gizmos every now and then,but humanization is far from reality.Bringing our senses in play,definitely gadgets are up to that!We freak out at the awesomeness in the way technology has come up! Typing here because of the technology itself! No doubt! Kudos to the Techies!

But humanization in any way,whether it's robots,super computers,i-pads,i-phones.....,these all are man-made and are for assistance of human beings in daily chores of life.Feelings,power to think,innovate,imagine,achieve are things only humans can do,not the gizmos!We are the developers and devastators!

So,my take is we can't humanize technology!

shreyadas

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
We're an evolving race and will always be one. We're a lazy race too and will find technology to do things for us.

Just like the stephen hawking if we can sit on a wheel chair and give commands through our brains to speak, move and do stuff.. we shall gladly do so. That's where I see technology heading.

Robots slaves and systems working to make us obsolete :p

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Check this google project. It will blow your mind

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9c6W4CCU9M4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

calvothon

Technology is mean't to improve human life , isn't it.
It's like art really , you can make a few strokes. once you mastered it , you wanna give it a shape , once you do that you wanna color it....then you might wanna make an animation out of it someday.
Fact is , emotion's are pretty much algorithms too. Pain & Pleasure are probably the simplest ones.
So yeah....not sure how long before 100%u0025 human emotions r replicated.
but if they make a robot that says ouch when I break its legs , i'll be happy :D