Advertising: Information or Manipulation?

sunandaC

:welcome: Most people would agree that advertising provides the consumer with information about a product, but is that all advertising accomplishes? No.

Advertising is used to masterfully engage the mind of the consumer to motivate him or her to buy the advertised product.

Advertising is about more than just selling products, but about branding.

The advertiser simply wants to impress itself on your consciousness. No doubt company's spend a hug eamount of money on advertising to attract customers, but is ti hte only purpose of advertising form teh view point of customer.

Advertising can either be a great slave or a horrible master. How much does advertising influence your purchasing power?

Last edited:

yash.bichu

Well,
If u consider the ultimate goal of any company then its definitely sales and profits..
No doubt they spend a huge amount of money on advertising which is directly or indirectly related to sales...
But considering the present scenario, one can easily make out that more and more companies are now focusing on Brand Management..
There are so many companies manufacturing similar products and so many providing similar services that the consumer is not even aware of all the options which are available to him/her...
I think the advertisers are now working on this perspective, wherein they aim for Brand recognition in the society..
For instance, consider the Energy Drink Cloud 9, which is newly launched in the market,..
They are spending millions on advertising and promotions but there sales are not increasing... there are many reasons for that..
but on the same side it has now become a known brand in the market...
Talking about the purchasing power,.. if a consumer is really charmed by the advertisement then he might go for a product which might be easily affordable to him...
Lets see in what direction the debate moves on..
will continue then..

gawalirohit

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Actually it depends on the product... if its a Re 1 alpenlibe then it really matters cos u gotta have top of the mind recall

meherangiz

good thread...tho no denying the fact that manipulation does exist, it is not a mandate, infact advt is a great tool to educate yr potential consumer with the correct facts..

Janet_7

a mixture of both i say! manipulation of information.. Within the field of economics, there are two divergent viewpoints about the role of advertising in the economy.One school of thought argues that advertising is a source of information for consumers who can use it to make more informed decisions in the market place.Another school of thought, views advertising as manipulating the public by creating artificial needs and wants. Whichever viewpoint we take on this issue, the important thing to note is that definitions themselves are given in particular contexts.

shivapillai

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Advertisement provides manipulated information :p
that's my sick joke!
Well, I give a lot of importance to the advertisement, coz that's what pulls my attention towards a product

Arishu

I would like to thank you for making such a good thread to discuss. In my opinion modern era advertisement is used for the purpose of manipulation. Today market competition is high and a thousand of same product in the market playing their card to survive with the help of manipulation cum advertisement. Now a days company using tactics to show there product advantage over other similar product company are breaking the rule of showing their original product to the customer. I hope you are aware of the news regarding some of advertisement banned by the government because of their manipulation technique. if we look onto the basic of advertisement it simply stand for giving the introduction of your product to the customer in a best way without playing with the original format. In the war of survival in the market, companies often ready to do each and every possible effort which might be illegal. At least but not last advertisement are no more the way to reach to their goal to show the good to customer but now its meaning is, Do everything to make more and more customer.

aryanz.reenter

Manipulation Of The Original Product's Use..... Never Says it As It Is.... .

How Come BOOST Be Sachin's Energy ??? Didn't Sachin Anything Else ????

How Can TATA Nano Be Driven In Places Where You Drive Your Car Would End It Up In A Service Station????