Is It Worth studying in India or abroad

rajiv

Hi guys ,
Can u pls post in your views wat is worth i feel studying in india is worth i dont feel anybody should go abroad to study as indian studies is the best !! but i did the biggest mistake by goin abroad to study and that too in uk well i realised late hope no body makes this mistake!!!!!!

Guys POst ur views

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Hey Rajiv,
its good that u have taken the initiative of starting this topic.. but we would like to hear more... About ur exp.. Why do u think its a mistake and related points.

Gaurav

Mahesh Belthur

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
According to me Indian Universities and indian studies are the best in the world..if this wasnt true then why there would be more than 50% indian doctors in US and more than 20% scientists in NASA are IITians???
but i asked myself once.... why do people go abroad for studies???
Some reasons i found out are...

1) if u get into good university or good cllege then no problem...but if u cant then u will get in to a bad college(letz say) and the difference in the grade of education u get is unimaginable...but in US or Aus the difference between the good and bad university is very less...so many go abroad...

2) corruption and politics: this is the main reason y many educates go abroad and settle there....i think there is no need to emphasize on this matter..

3) respect for service: this is lackin in India...there is no respect and value for service...think of a doctor who studies for 5 to 6 years like a nerd and take the degree and come out of college ...he/she getz into a job the startin pay will not even touch 5 digits...that poor fellow would have spent 5 digit amount on his/her books itself..so how can he console himself...so he/she leaves for abroad where there are good oppurtunities ...

there might be many reasons i've given some facts...others kindly pour in ur thoughts....

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Mahesh Belthur said:
According to me Indian Universities and indian studies are the best in the world..if this wasnt true then why there would be more than 50% indian doctors in US and more than 20% scientists in NASA are IITians???
but i asked myself once.... why do people go abroad for studies???
Some reasons i found out are...

1) if u get into good university or good cllege then no problem...but if u cant then u will get in to a bad college(letz say) and the difference in the grade of education u get is unimaginable...but in US or Aus the difference between the good and bad university is very less...so many go abroad...

2) corruption and politics: this is the main reason y many educates go abroad and settle there....i think there is no need to emphasize on this matter..

3) respect for service: this is lackin in India...there is no respect and value for service...think of a doctor who studies for 5 to 6 years like a nerd and take the degree and come out of college ...he/she getz into a job the startin pay will not even touch 5 digits...that poor fellow would have spent 5 digit amount on his/her books itself..so how can he console himself...so he/she leaves for abroad where there are good oppurtunities ...

there might be many reasons i've given some facts...others kindly pour in ur thoughts....

Some Valid points there but wouldnt totally agree..!!

The stastics u hve shown of doctors and scientist at NASA surely proves that Indians are intelligent beings.. But not that sure that Indian Univ's best in the world..

Now m bringing some statistics which i may have read in the past cpl months or so..

The facts provided might not be correct to point but pretty much precise..!

I believe i had read that IIM (A) the best B-School Of India ranks 102 in global ranking of B-Schools... So can u actually believe the best here aint even in the top 100.. So mebbe a fifth or sixth graded univ here would be on what charts??

The irony here is getting into the best b-school in the world is easier than IIM..

Well if u just put up some rough figures an odd 175 thousand appeared for cat frm which a 2000 odd went on 2 second round and mebbe 1300 odd seats are been fought for in IIMS.. So somethin arnd 130 odd forms only 1 gets into IIMS frm that.. The Ration 130:1

Now putting this onto the likes of harvard and wharton they have an average ratio of 25-30 : 1.. Which means every 25 - 30 applicant would be getting an admission out there..!!

So now comes the second phase if u are in top 10-15 no probs.. But if not than better u get ur degree frm abroad.. N e wyz u have much better chances as in the ratio is jst 25 : 1... U could be in the likes of harvard, wharton , duke , lbs etc...!!

My basic point down here is if u not getttin in top 10-15 dont settle for somethin else infact go for a better goal which is outside India...!!!

Nd Rajiv do post in why do u say going abroad is a mistake coz if u have settled for a just ok university outside than its again going to be the same probs.. The difference of educatin level between the best and average..!!

But i would say that the average univ in places like U.k & U.S would be giving a very hight competition to average univs here infact they better any day..!!:big_grin:

Mahesh Belthur

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
yup bhavin....
i agree with that institutes matter...i just wanted to bring out a comparision between studies in abroad and india...i also have heard that IIM's are ranked outside top 100...wat to do...this is India even for those institutes we got to slog ...and slog harder...

ViJiT

Vijith Pujari
Everyone thinks of working in a MNC company so ppl thinking that studying aboard will give them better chance of gettin good job in a MNC company ...is that so??????

I believe i had read that IIM (A) the best B-School Of India ranks 102 in global ranking of B-Schools... So can u actually believe the best here aint even in the top 100.. So mebbe a fifth or sixth graded univ here would be on what charts??

thnx for this info bhavin. i was nt aware of it...

amirapu_sow

Worth – a relative term altogether
Here we have to analyze what kind of worth we are talking about?
Worth for getting a job or the job opportunities (which again is a more personal look out for one’s ideal job)
Worth in the sense of the knowledge one gets…?
It is just one’s perception towards the rating of the word ‘worth’
Yes I do agree that our institutions are behind the world leaders. Some of the courses which we find in foreign countries are not available in India…in that case studying abroad would definitely benefit them.

But one has to note that apart from studying in the top universities of the respective countries there would be less foreign factor attached to our knowledge
I strongly believe it is the individual’s zeal towards the knowledge that matters and not the country in which one studies.

rajiv

Guys i believe that india is much better anyday ...... cause studies is here is just slides ntg else they have no sense in teaching here i have been attending lectures and believe me they just teach nothing here and talking about abroad its now just become a business empty space and thats named as an university or college thats what i have noticed they are just lootofying asians everywhere specially in uk Also talking about jobs..its only if you do from oxford or cambridge u will get a good job or else ntg ....
Guys can u guys give me an input on how is the job scenario after completing MBA from uk how is the job scene back home in india does it have any value ? is UK degree considered worth? i personally think they only consider if u have done it from oxford or some top5 universities ?
Guys need ur input pls post on some good points i need to decide something

Regards
Rajiv

Mahesh Belthur

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
rajiv said:
Guys can u guys give me an input on how is the job scenario after completing MBA from uk how is the job scene back home in india does it have any value ? is UK degree considered worth? i personally think they only consider if u have done it from oxford or some top5 universities ?
Guys need ur input pls post on some good points i need to decide something

Regards
Rajiv

hey dude rajiv...
as far as i have inputs most of the degrees given by most of the universities in US, UK and Australia are acknowledged world wide... If this were not true there is no reason why many frm India go abroad for their MBA graduation... especially UK..its not still in the range of US and Australia in respect to MBA course...but in no way laggin behind...these countries are developed dude....there degrees are accepted world wide...and in India when an ordinay MS in software from any US university holds value means there is no reason that MBA degree frm UK doesnt have value????

if u are plannin MBA in UK...i tell u go ahead...get into average or top grade colleges...complete ur degree and then come back to india..u will be paid in that range itself...BEST OF LUCk...

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Mahesh Belthur said:
hey dude rajiv...
as far as i have inputs most of the degrees given by most of the universities in US, UK and Australia are acknowledged world wide... If this were not true there is no reason why many frm India go abroad for their MBA graduation... especially UK..its not still in the range of US and Australia in respect to MBA course...but in no way laggin behind...these countries are developed dude....there degrees are accepted world wide...and in India when an ordinay MS in software from any US university holds value means there is no reason that MBA degree frm UK doesnt have value????

if u are plannin MBA in UK...i tell u go ahead...get into average or top grade colleges...complete ur degree and then come back to india..u will be paid in that range itself...BEST OF LUCk...

I totally second the opinion as i said in the earlier post. The education outside is damn good with the e.g of IIM being 102 which means 101 better univ's out der.. Infact U.k is one of the finest places for having ur MBA.. It's good in Australia but the thing with U.k is u have more chances of getting throught campus placement.. So you can actually earn back much more than u have spent in a lesser span of time..
I would totally say u should go for MBA abroad if not getting in2 finest over here..!!:horn:

rajiv

Hi bhavin you might be rightby the way guys i am already in uk doin my mba from not an excellent uni and our uni does not have a campus placement as well however i have heard that the companies in india do not accept some universities as well is that correct and now in my case the job scene is real difficult here in uk so guys wat u guys have to say now ??? pls post in ur comments genuinely let me know that is it true that the indian companies does not recoganise ???

Regards
Rajiv

khushg

hey guys,

i am very confused whether to go abroad to do mba or continue in india... i went to ims few days back and i was told tht if i do mba in abroad, i wont get nice job after coming back to india... please help me....

at this moment i need to decide whether i shud go to UK or stay here... waiting for suggestions...

regards
-khushboo...

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Go for it if you have a good gre score and expect to get into a good bschool.

Else ... Mera Bharat Mahan.... India is the best ;)

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
khushg said:
hey guys,

i am very confused whether to go abroad to do mba or continue in india... i went to ims few days back and i was told tht if i do mba in abroad, i wont get nice job after coming back to india... please help me....

at this moment i need to decide whether i shud go to UK or stay here... waiting for suggestions...

regards
-khushboo...

Hey khusboo..!!

WEll m not sure wt ims suggested you.. but a uk degree is valid across anywhere..!! You completing your mba in uk and not gettin a job in India seems pretty :laugh: ..!! Tell you what you can do some research from your end.. Jst go on2 any indian job site put your credentials as uk mba grad and jst wait for the response.. Its always better to research urself rather than hearing people..

Now comes the difficult part..!! Getting a mba in uk is very difficult infact you have 1% chance of gettin in2 the best of b-schools down there..!! The major criteria in uk for an mba is min 3--5 yrz wrk ex..!! Without the work -ex the best b-school wont take u there would be many other b-schools taking you without work - ex but than its better u do here than those 1nz...!! So if you thinking of an mba in uk its great.. But u'll hv to get a min of 3 yrz wrk ex to get into the best of b-schools..!!

Well i guess there was jst a mistype by kartik u dont need gre for ur mba the thing u need would be gmat's.. And getting in2 best b-schools u need a score which is 620+..!!:big_grin:

hawk31981

Guys im currently doing my mba in India from a lower rung institute but am on an exchange program and am therefore in Germany and my experience has been that the way they look at and project things in Germany is totally different from they way it is done back home in our educational system. In India we just keep on getting infrmation thrown at us and keep on doing assignments etc and are told just muddle through the whole thing know a bit of everything and at the end of it u will be good and with some luck will get placed during campus placements in a good company. However in Germany we are really focused on understanding the finer points of mamagement, not just what happens in theory but the way things are done in practice which is often very different from the theory and while initially this feels a bit stupid when you come from an educational system like in India where the focus is more on the theory. This happens even in institutes where the whole curriculum is supposed to be based on the case study method of learning. So in my opinion studying abroad will be a great plus point . Besides this the fact exists that certain facts and concepts being thought here are simply not even discussed in institutes in india and certain subjects will not be availabe for a few years to come. Also unless u end up studying in a really bad institute the quality of the faculty available abroad is much better than in India and I have formed this opinion inspite of the fact that some of the faculty at my institute in India are IIM(A) professors or have done their doctorate from one of the IIMs

khushg

hi bhavin,

thanks for helping me... i'll do tht... i also visited EDWISE ppl in churchgate... they suggested me some universities in UK... those universities are really good like manchester, cardiff, obviously not in top 10 but not all tht bad too... but i was just worried if its worth investing so much money and finally getting nothing in return... i m also trying for india...

i thought if i can get into great lakes in chennai... but not sure how it is... the placement reports are not out as yet...and its only 1year old... even though the board members are the same as ISB... i m not sure whether its a great coll...and do you think i should take a break of 2 years and gain some work experience and then continue with studies again...

please let me know... thanks in advance...

regards
-khushboo...

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
khushg said:
hi bhavin,

thanks for helping me... i'll do tht... i also visited EDWISE ppl in churchgate... they suggested me some universities in UK... those universities are really good like manchester, cardiff, obviously not in top 10 but not all tht bad too... but i was just worried if its worth investing so much money and finally getting nothing in return... i m also trying for india...

i thought if i can get into great lakes in chennai... but not sure how it is... the placement reports are not out as yet...and its only 1year old... even though the board members are the same as ISB... i m not sure whether its a great coll...and do you think i should take a break of 2 years and gain some work experience and then continue with studies again...

please let me know... thanks in advance...

regards
-khushboo...

Well manchester is a good univ cant say the same abt cardiff.. The thing abt cardiff is that its a good univ but ther are 2 cardiff's..!! The institute which the counsellor provide namd cardiff takes studnts on jst acads nd not on gmat.. One thing u need to remember if you want to judge a b-school try getting they past batch gmat cut-off tht shall surely prove you hw the b-school is...!! I dont say it alwyz wrks mebbe a better univ closed 10 mrks less dan a bad univ coz it also depends on students profile..!! But the best way to judge would be gmat scores...!! Great lakes is rather new than our old b-schools but they have been good in they acads, mrkting.. Nd other divisions.. I believe its been funded well and could bring good placement at the end of the course..!! I hvnt though had much experience on great lakes so cant comment much i hope some other mpite could provide you more info on great lakes..!!

Secondly if u wanna do u mba frm abroad i believe u got to have wrk ex..!! I'll ad a choice in your basket..!! What you could do is after ur grads you could start wrk ex and also take up mcom distance learnig course..!! So when you are making your wrk ex for a min of 3 yrz you could also add mcom degree which makes you eligible for U.S, b-schools 2..!! As they need 16 yrz of education frm all they candidates...!!:big_grin:

My take would be wrk ex for 3 yrz and dan opt for mba abroad...!!

Nd abt investment well i believe tht uk hv come up with a new rule that if you when a international student passes out he/she gets 2 years of wrk permit...!! (Do chck with any good visa consultant). Coz if you get those 2 yrs you would easily be able to recover what u have invested..!!

P.s : You get more info jst put it here as it would be helpful to others 2..!!