How important is salary

yummy1984

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Of course, salary is important and nobody can work for free. The point here is would 10, 20 or even 25% increase in salary make any difference to your quality of life.

I've had this conversation so many times - with myself and my friends on numerous occasions. Why do we negotiate so much for a few percentage increases in salary while accepting new job offers and at the times of appraisals? My personal experience is that higher salary feels good for the first few months and then it just doesn't matter thereafter. Below are some of the factors that will surely determine if you are happy (or not) in your job -

1. Do I like what I am doing?
2. Am I acquiring new skills and/or polishing existing skills?
3. Is my contribution being valued by my employer?
4. Do I have good relations with my peers, supervisor, and management?

Answers to these questions are far more important than worrying about 15 or 25% increase in salary levels. What do you think?

Post your comments : My Review My way..: Is salary given too much importance...

abhishreshtha

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well its simple tht while joining any company everyone or most of them gives prime importance to salarrry pattern. then it easily shows how important salary is but there are some thng like carrer growth and job environment which also plays an important aspects more than salaryyy.................

:SugarwareZ-263:

:ballchain::ballchain::ballchain::ballchain::ballchain:

gargi.n

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well the basic motto when someone joins a company is earn good pay n bring a degree of change in life n sometimes a good pay package according to u r performance in the company ofcourse can bring a 360 degree change in ones lifestyle n living standards.

yummy1984

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
But, does that mean,, the Salary is the of prime importance than Job satisfaction & happiness...Would ppl work in a organizatn havng no ethics, just bcoz it payng them more...

rafik

Salary: " Vitamin M" is a big motivator for employee. Extrinsic rewards motivate the emplyee for better performance level. His is why productivity linked system in most of the MNC widely includes extra money to salary. Paying an individual for his/her performance accomplishments with financial incentives is largely welcomed.

Muraly

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Yes, I do agree that job satisfaction is more essential than that of 25% increase in salary.

L

love786

there r two views according to people will prefer sometimes brand over salary and sometimes they prefer salary over brand i say in the starting of ur carrier u should try to get into big brand salary will increase automatically as ur experience increase with the big brand.

ramsharma88888

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I thing the be all and end all of this discussion should revolve around the question: is the hike in salary allowing you to fulfill your life dreams in terms of money to fund the activities that you are fond of and require a commitment of time and do you actually land up having time for those activities.

grail

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
if the job is good, but the salary is bad the person would not stick around too long, the vice versa would not work too good either.... but it has better chances!

mvrck

rather than salary, i think satisfaction of what you've done today and everyday matters more... though salary is also a gratification for your efforts.

incredible.girl

Ofcourse not! Although one's look out 4 a job would be surely to earn 4 his/her living, yet every individual aspires to achieve growth in their career, things like job satisfaction, status, leadership, recognition, self-actulization equally matter 4 them..One needs to strike a balance between these faces of work.. There should strictly not be any compromise in any two of these..

Vysakh_raj

Salary plays an important role in the development of an individual the more the salary more ur quality of lifetyle changes the more ur happy and dedicated to your work

gargi.n

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i dont know how important it is for others but for me it is come on guys around 24-25 days of the month we slog definitely not for charity but salary right??

sonic

An employee needs to balance out salary increase and job satisfaction. Both are equally important.

Also, if you are doing the same job for many years it will lead to monotony and boredom. You would want a change of job.

An employee also wants social prestige which comes from the salary he earns and the level at which he is working in the organisation.