IS Facebook popular because of games?

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
We all are aware of social networking site like facebook and Orkut.
I feel there are number of people logging into facebook because of the number and variety of games it provide..

shwetha_2500

yes i agree to it..facebook is just famous 4 its gams n quizes...whch we can play 4 timepass wen we ve no wrk 2 do...so at dis tym facebook is da best alternative..!!

traviza

noooo! I never play those games on facebok and stuff. for me, it's just the way of finding people whom I know around the world. well, actually, where I',m from, there is a better social network like facebook, but simplier in use :) I can say, that it is definitely very popular!!!

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Orkut would rather be more popular for networking but many people in facebook are just there playing games.
And it has become highly addictive...

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Games give Facebook-weary employers more headaches
24 Dec 2009, 1405 hrs IST, REUTERS

BANGALORE: For many employers, Facebook, MySpace and other social networking sites are already a scourge that cut into productivity. Now they have something else to worry about -- the games hosted by these sites.

This new genre of social gaming is called "asynchronous" or "appointment" gaming and allows people to play with their friends without having to be online at the same time. The low-intensity engagement has made games such as FarmVille, Cafe World, Restaurant City, Pet Society, and Happy Aquarium -- developed by firms Zynga, Playfish, Crowdstar and Slashkey -- popular among employees who often log on during office hours. According to a recent survey conducted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India, about 12.5 percent of productivity in the corporate sector is misappropriated each day by social networking sites.

"What we are seeing is that more and more people and organisations are recognising the productivity lost so probably more chief information officers are blocking Facebook applications," Rebecca Wettemann of Nucleus Research said. Boston-based Nucleus Research, which conducted a recent study into the effects of social networking sites on productivity, said nearly half of office employees in the United States access social networking sites at work, which leads to an average loss of 1.5 percent of total office productivity.

acebook, which has 350 million users, says at least 20 percent of its members play games online. Sebastien de Halleux, CEO officer and co-founder of online game creator Playfish said Asia is growing at a faster pace than other regions. "We had no idea that it would spread so fast... when we had 100,000 users after one month, we thought it was the biggest success ever. Now with 60 million users we think this is only the beginning of something much bigger," he added.

Playfish is behind Pet Society and Restaurant City. Zynga's FarmVille, the best known with over 70 million active users till date, allows players to own a virtual farm where they can grow crops, raise animals and build a farm house. While companies try to curb access to social networking sites, not everyone sees the games as harmful. Anand Tatambhotla, a consultant at an advisory firm in Bangalore, says playing online games is akin to taking a break to chat or smoke a cigarette, only better. Psychiatrist Santosh Chaturvedi of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences in Bangalore agrees.

"Playing these games is like a break, without actually taking a physical break. It changes the mindset and when the person comes back to their original work, it might actually improve their concentration and productivity," he said.

Source:
Games give Facebook-weary employers more headaches- Internet-Infotech-The Economic Times

sanjitchohan

^^ raiv Ur Article is right But its off discussion !

and Yes Its true That Facebook is More famous Due to People's Interest In Application and Games!
This Is lead to a problem for companies which allows there user to access internet.

abhishreshtha

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
welllllll...........
i think tht the popularity of facebook is becoz of its speed and light weightage wid the kinds of games it provides and all other stuffs as compared to orkut and it can also b popular coz of its intresting stuffss which are faster as compared to orkut..............

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
@sanjitchohan

The article was posted to show the interest of employee in facebook.
It was mostly in games!!

So it not off discussion...

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Facebook's free online game Farmville, which allows users to run their own virtual farm, is set to become the most popular application on the social networking site.

Farmville, which allows Facebook members to plant, grow, and harvest virtual crops, trees, raise livestock, invest in farm equipment and sell their produce for profit, has become very popular ever since it was launched on June 19.

The game has nearly 35 million monthly users, and it soon surpass the 35,554,755 record achieved by the 'How Well Do You Know Me?' application on the site.

The game's popularity has been boosted by a growing trend among urbanites to try to their hand to the rural life by harvesting vegetables, milking cows, and shearing sheep.

AllFacebook, a website which tracks the popularity of applications, has estimated that there are over 72 million farmers on Facebook across a number of farming games.

Farmville's San Francisco-based developer, Zynga, says that the game provided a simple, fun way for people to unwind at the end of the day, with players spending an average of 20 minutes a day tending to their farms, with much of that time taken up with planting their fields.

Although Farmville is free to play, Zynga draws revenue from online advertising and from some users who are prepared to pay for virtual goods.

Mark Pincus, the Zynga Chief Executive, branded the game a 'cultural phenomenon' and claimed it taps into a new demand for family-friendly games.

"By combining the best elements of social gaming, with people's instinct to nurture, we've created an incredibly fun, wholesome and rewarding experience," the Telegraph quoted him as saying.

Another farming game, Farm Town, is Facebook's second most popular application.

The rest of the top ten includes a range of applications, which allow users to do anything from donating to charity to starting a virtual Mafia family.

Top Ten Facebook Applications (based on daily use).

1. Famville, 13.4 million daily users

2. Farm Town, 6.0 million daily users

3. Mafia Wars, 5.8 million daily users

4. Facebook for iPhone, 5.7 million daily users

5. Facebook for BlackBerry, 5.2 million daily users

6. Pet Society, 4.4 million daily users

7. Texas HoldEm Poker, 3.8 million daily users

8. Restaurant City, 3.7 million daily users

9. Facebook Mobile, 2.7 million daily users

10. YoVille, 2.6 million daily users

noppapha

I am the one who play game on facebook expectually, Resterant city
This is the goodway to communicate with my friend by using game
instead of chating and comment. In my opinoin this is the new experience
to communication.

raiv88

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
More than communication it is to compete with friends which makes it more addictive.
If ur friend betters ur score u would try to beat his...

L

love786

acc to me most creative part of the facebook is its addictive games and walls in india it recently became famous and it buzzed a lot of people and main reason is the game part which are very addictive.........