Do engineers really make good managers?

rushgold

From my experience, it is difficult to work with some managers who have an engineering background because of their lack of interpersonal skills.

I am an engineering graduate currently completing my MBA. How can I best ensure that I improve my interpersonal skills?

deppbv78

Yes. They do make good managers. Engineering provides them good problem solving skills while MBA provides them the big picture perspective & better ability to perform analysis

MRK466

yes,because compared to other graduated they have an extra edge interms of analytical and reasonal skills which are the foremost essentials of any manager

dilsden

Yes engineers really make a good managers. After complwtion of 4 years of rigrous studies definately they will develop the qualities like communication skills techinical and general knowldge which are very much required for managment. It is for his subordinate to understand his rich toughts.

The managers with engineering background should first tune their sub-ordinates to his frequency. This will definately help him developing his sub-ordinate and also their relation.

karthikeyan.B

yes definitely engineers make good managers... as they are aware of the technical viabilities in the organisation and directly involved in process of the organisation they can be good managers.

lalvanzonline

Yes ofcouse...Engineers are the real cream of the professional crowd..
I have various facts to support this statement...
1. As we all know, in mangerial work, one not only require patience but also some working note to carry that basically means long term planning, senerio actins etc, which every engineer has after getting regrous triaining in B.E

mofar

definitely yes, they do make good managers for no doubt .. the technical skills plus the managerial skills never lets them down anywhere anytime ..l THey rock .. !!!

yeah... agree with you. for me, manager with technical background are more outstanding

sukeshni thakur

Techinally sound people may or may not be good at management skills. It cannot be defined on a techinical domain tat if a person could really manage team. This has been a most crtical issue with the companies who promote the professionals to teh higher level based on their performance in the process knowledge. Later, issue by the team members and managers are faced on their management and leadership skills. Here, training has a major role to play to mould the person.

happy

Assuming that Engineers can be good at managerial skills or not would be more hypothetical, although I agree that management tests are more inclined towards engineers aptitude, and engineers do have proved over the period of time that they possess good managerial skill, albeit keeping in mind that other grads do also possess the same, but we have more examples of engineers being successful.

kanwar.chhabra

friends that doesnot mean that if people are engineer they become the good managers
as one of my friend highlight that they have a extra edge of techanical skills
but we need to understand that every job dont require techanical skills .. but most of the managerial lever jobs require people skills , leadership skills , self motivational skills , and of course their job profile suitability. In the other hand if engineer have an edge of techanical kills in the same case commerce graduate also have a strong hand on financial topics and skills required in finiancial services sector..

which may be help more as compare to the techanical skills

so like that every person has own UNIQUE SELLING PREPOSITION, and every people has its own core competency.

thats from me side friends
plobably you like that

yyukti

In my opinion technical people have an edge when it comes to analytically evaluating problems/situations, but people management is one of the key responsibilties of a manager,a combination of analytical skills,people management, interpersonal skills are required to be a good manager

tins

it really depends on the person i think - this cannot be generalized...

there are business modules in engineering courses, so education tries to help engineers to become better in business

bhaskar75

YES...THEY CAN MAKE POSSIBLY GOOD MANAGERS AS THEY HAVE GOOD TECHNICAL SKILLS AT WORK ADDING TO THEIR ADVANTAGE WHICH IS EVIDENT FROM SO MANY GOOD MANAGERS TODAY WHO WERE EARLIER ENGINEERS........BUT THIS NOT TRUE FOR EVERY ENGINEER AS MANAGERIAL SKILLS ARE DIFFERENT...ALTHOUGH NOT VERY HARD EITHER.......THERE ARE WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN ENSURE YOUR INTERPERSONAL SKILLS DEVELOPS.....ACC TO ME:
1) COMMUNICATE MORE & MORE WITH PEOPLE.
2)TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE PEOPLE WITH WHOM YOU TALK.
3) REFER TO SOME BOOKS ON COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS FOR THE SCIENCE BEHIND IT.
4) ITS MORE ABOUT YOUR APPROACH FOR BETTER INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS.

nidhi_v_chawla

You are either born a good manager or you acquire the skills for it. Any technical and higher qualification does not make you eligible to be a manager. The skill set for a good manager is entirely different from the the technical know-how of the trade.

qwerty267

ya sure....Engineers do make it big time as managers...we will know both the technical side and the management side of a firm..it will be big task to handle..but we can do it

bb7bb217

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hello mate,

As per my point of view I believe that any one can be manager who can manage their work and people. That's why even Dr. can do MBA and becoming a manager.

Regards,
Birju Shah

Youngdp

Engineers do make great managers when they take time to develop interpersonal skills. There is always great potential, however i have found many managers that rely only on their technical background struggle in motivating and managing people on a personal level.