Can we privatise the Railways

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
We have private player participation in airlines.

Similarly,Can we have private players in Railways.We can make them to pay a part for using the Govt laid tracks.

Pros of privatisation:
===============
1.Better connectivity and better commutation even in rural sectors.

2.Infrastructure can be improved with the private players participation

3.Customer service can be improved with the competition coming from private players

cons:
====
1.Need to ensure the safety of the passengers.

2.Increase in competition can also trigger fare wars.

Pour your thoughts

-Deepak.

pooja.teku

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hey deepak
i tolatly agree with wat u say that privatison can help us in many ways but still u know railways has done a bit of privatisation n i guess u talkin bout massive privatisation. The moment they privatise, fares will go up. Nobody will like to run trains by incurring losses. In this country where a lot of noise is made even if fare is raised by Re 1, the government will be forced to subsidise. So what is the whole point in privatising

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi,
I can't fully understand what do you mean by "massive Privatisation".

More to it,the private players can't fix a high fare cos they have to fix a fare in such a way that it shud be less than the LCC (Low cost carriers).So private players are compelled to keep the prices lower.The only point could be the operational cost for the private players.probably this could be kept lower by taking lease of the coaches for a period of time,exactly similar to the aviation industry.

-Deepak.

pooja.teku

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
massive privatisation means basicaly pravatisation of the whole railways....... as some parts are pravatised like they allowed private operators to run container trains,construction of bridges, track maintenance etc
and i realy feel that private sector would not meet the aspirations of people at large if Railways were privatized, as the cost of operation and services would increase manifold.

dhano_pg

day by day trains are getting more crowed which is not safe and comfortable anymore.privatisation may definatly lead to proper accomodation and good service and safety

vinys

there are many things or say many functions or operations carried out in railways for eg. say the construction & maintenance part, the management part, the customer servicing etc now all this function has to be privatised for the above mentioned pros but keeping in mind the cons as well, but we have to take the risk as good railway infrastructure will play a major role in improving the logistics part (the overall supply chain) and in ways help to develop our econmy.

Aka

Even though it's privatized, the existing tracks aren't sufficient.. Lots of money needs to be poured in for tracks, bridges and connectivity. I don't think private players (even the big ones like reliance) will be interested in getting into railways...

DRISHYA

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
privatisation is fine to an extent.As privatisation would mean increase in the fare which would lead into lots of public mockeries.
But one thing one wish to be changed is that there should not be any class like we have 1st n 2nd class. menz n ladies section are neccessary..
y cant we have equally good compartments for all local travellers. The price of the 1st class are unbelievably higher than the 2nd class with difference as good as nothing between them.

sanjayk

YES.
it should be privatised........
though the fare may rise it w'll get better services then at the present.

snehal shendge

yes i think the railways shld be privatised in a massive way because it is the local people who suffer in a big way travelling by govt trains and they not even provide u with enough trains leading to crowdy situations which finally leads to accidents.when the private players come in they would try to give their best of the service to the population.though their fares would be high initially but later on they would cut down the fares.but now with the govt trains people who can afford are also not able to travel with a lot of comfort even in the 1 st class.so i think privatisation would help in better way and life would be a different experience in the private trains.

planets4me

yes privatisation would be a good options, only the main issue comes that the rates would have a hike looking towards the advanced service.But after the privatisation of Electricity by Reliance Energy which itself has set a good example.As in experienced reliance have been a good service provider rather than other govt. companies.

vickyg32000

v can privatise the railways but wht is the need
they r performing well for the past 3 yrs
let's wait and see already their has been a lot of
improvemnt in infrastructure and services
and it is making profits tooo.
and railways r going to be big asset for the
govt. insted of benifiting private players
by allowing them into railways
govt should improve the conditions.
it is on the right track

yk_srk

hey man..i dint get u..i mean its nt clear in what context this privatisation is being used. if it is fully privatisation, then i m sorry it is not possible. for no private player however big has the money and resources to manage indian railways. it is too big a system. but as far entry of private sector is cocerned, it has already happened, with the advent of private containers and dedicated tracks.

NitinGupta

in favour of ur yes theres is a need for privatisation if one goes on in the train just for one he knows straigh away wht is actually like indian trains
we need it to be private

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
y we guys are talking abt railways which has already turned out to be a for profit thanks to lalu.... lets better concentrate on our navratans... i think privitizatiob is jus one of the ways nt the complete method...its really risky to rely on private sector soo much becauz its volatile( blv it or not!!!)
take care
anu

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I agree tht the Railways are dng good in the past 3-4 yrs.Hats-off to Lalu prasad Yadav.Plz we mustn't be complacent enough with what we have achieved in the last yrs.Do you think that we have a world-class infrastructure?There are cases where the train has collapsed due to poor bridge conditions.There are still lot of bridges in a much dilapidated state.

Today Railways is doing good in the consumer movement and Goods movement.They have allowed sme private players in the trade side.

There are villages which needs to be connected.There are thousands of villages which are in desparate need of railways.We need investment for that kinda purpose.Though our railways sits in a pile of cash today,bt tht liquidity is nt enough to meet the needs.We need some kinda private investment which can connect the villages to the cities.We need to make it mandatory for private players to run train services to the rural sectors.W/o having this sort of restriction and allowing the private players wll make the railway industry similar to our mobile sector where all players are competing for the urban pie.

Moreover,all the trains are running to the fullest during summer holidays.We need more trains to avoid such crowds.In this space I guess private players will come to our rescue.

Moreover,as I have already stated,the entry of private players will never shoot the price of railways tkts.The best example wud be the airline sector.

-Deepak.