CHEENI-KUM <- Do u agree ??

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Modern era has brought in new fancy views and as they say that 'love is blind', so when one falls in love, he/she sees nothing but love...

A similiar kind of message was potrayed in a recent AB flick "Cheenikum" where-in Amitabh Bacchan, at the age of 60+ falls in love with Tabu who is in her thirties.

Do u really think that one should be think of love, with such a young girl, when he is actually coming to the time of moksha..

I agree that love has no bounds, but don't u think it potrays a negative picture that when one should be thinking about death and departing from the world, he is thinking as though he is still a teen. Isn't it a form of illusion.... ?

Comments and a sound debate is most welcome! :smile:

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
The whole world is an illusion dear. At the end of the day, it all comes down to self. If you are 60 or 80, you still want to live, you still want to dance, and most importantly you want to be loved.

These things happen in the read world, they happened before, and it will continue to prevail in the future. You or me cant stop it ( and should'nt either, we are going to be on the same crossroads couplea decades down the line ;) )

MAXDROIT

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
well gaurav......i dotn get wht u mean to say by at age of 60 a person should be thinking abt death n all.....how does age has anythng to do wit it....a person can die at any age....1 or 100.......

and lov is one such feeling which is pure.....and a person can fall in lov at any age.....

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
well gaurav......i dotn get wht u mean to say by at age of 60 a person should be thinking abt death n all.....how does age has anythng to do wit it....a person can die at any age....1 or 100.......

and lov is one such feeling which is pure.....and a person can fall in lov at any age.....
Well Maxdroit,
What i mean is that there are specific ages for everything... Like our scriptures speak of life phases to be distributed among the different acts. For instance, the age upto 25 is called brahmcharya, because human being i supposed to live his life like a celibate and study. From the age of 25-50, he is doing grastha i.e. enjoying home life

From the age of 50-75 he is supposed to be doing vanprastha, when he relieves himself from all the worldly ties and goes into the forest and chants God's name. Now, for obvious reasons, going to the forest is not practical for everyone, but it means to dedicate one's life totally in God

and finally, the life after that is called moksha... when u break all the ties and just have God in mind.

Now, the question put forward in this debate is, that when a person should be totally immersed in God, should he be thinking about youth and indulge in marriage and relationships.

What guarantee does he have of his life?
Who shall be there for the girl after he passes away?

Is his act justified at this age... If so, why?

melroy88

Sometimes a woman gets married to a man of 50-60yrs old is because of the wealth he posseses.So ....In some cases the wife will be happy that her husband passes away.All his wealth belongs to her.As kartik said you cant stop these things,Its a part of life just like many other things,we may hate it but we cant get rod of it.Some people do fall in love,at that point they see only love ,but hey! you never know a person might live 3times more than he should.I was wondering that if the woman is 60-70 and the guy would be in his 25-30s would be a better and even more weird case.I never thought of it this way :)

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Sometimes a woman gets married to a man of 50-60yrs old is because of the wealth he posseses.So ....In some cases the wife will be happy that her husband passes away.All his wealth belongs to her.As kartik said you cant stop these things,Its a part of life just like many other things,we may hate it but we cant get rod of it.Some people do fall in love,at that point they see only love ,but hey! you never know a person might live 3times more than he should.I was wondering that if the woman is 60-70 and the guy would be in his 25-30s would be a better and even more weird case.I never thought of it this way :)
Well melroy, that case is slightly different. Here the question is not in terms of money, but two ordinary people. As i said, when a person should be thinking more about moksha and god, it is correct to think about marriage and stuff?

p.s. watch cheenikum to get an idea, of what i'm talking about.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
As i said, when a person should be thinking more about moksha and god, it is correct to think about marriage and stuff?

Who says a person of the age 60 should necessarily think about moksha. You can think about it all you want, but what others do is their individual choice.

Its best not to stereotype or force your way of thinking on somone.

I think venky has a point when he says
i dotn get wht u mean to say by at age of 60 a person should be thinking abt death n all.....how does age has anythng to do wit it....a person can die at any age....1 or 100.......

or when melroy says
Some people do fall in love,at that point they see only love ,but hey! you never know a person might live 3times more than he should.

swordfish_162002

at the end of the day it is all about sexually frustrated people. Amitabh plays a 64 year old guy who is not married and has definetly never been into a physical relationship and the same goes of Tabus character. So the movie explains how dangerous this might be that one might even find a 64 year old guy sexy. So guys start having sex if you do not want to end up like them.

LOL..

mani_29rocks

Well v usually come 2 da conclusion that Love is blind...... but then its always "something" seen in a person dat attracts da otr!!
4 us in INDIA a 30yr age gap may sound terrible.......but just a few steps west girls of 20 something marry a 90 something groom!! its comman n can hav many reasons as.......money.....power....status....love..or lack of it!......or pure lust!!!! but as long the couple in question r happy...y shoud they bother!!

anshul14

Well Gaurav, i don't think age has anything to do with thinking about Moksha ...It all depends upon the individual's personality, his likings and dislikings..In real life too, we may find so many people who even at the age of 20 are far from materialistic pleasures, and on the other hand, even at 60 some wants to enjoy it..

Love and attraction are something that can happen to anyone at any age. And if it goes in the right direction, there is nothing wrong in it..Like in Cheeni Kum, both the people are mature enough and they knew what they were getting into , and most of all it all depends upon the individual..After all its his life and there should be no fixed guidelines for him how to lead it.

aarti_samant

Well Gaurav, i don't think age has anything to do with thinking about Moksha ...It all depends upon the individual's personality, his likings and dislikings..In real life too, we may find so many people who even at the age of 20 are far from materialistic pleasures, and on the other hand, even at 60 some wants to enjoy it..

Love and attraction are something that can happen to anyone at any age. And if it goes in the right direction, there is nothing wrong in it..Like in Cheeni Kum, both the people are mature enough and they knew what they were getting into , and most of all it all depends upon the individual..After all its his life and there should be no fixed guidelines for him how to lead it.

hey gaurav i dont get y ur views abt life r so narrow!! y dont people jus let go n live der lifes!! if 2 sould r happy to be wid each other may it be 60 yr guy 0r 30 yr gal or homosexuals or any other breed ........ JUS LIVE N LET LIVE DUDE!! well people these fall madly in love wid der pets as well!! we jus hav to do our own thing n let people be happy!!!!

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hey there...
hope evryone is fine...
jus wantd to comment as i found this movie to be interesting enough to stir ur minds!!
@ gaurav: watevr u are thinking are most idealistic thoughts. i mean if you go by these scriptures then to start with we all are living a nishachar life( we all wake up till wee hrs in mrning, doze off in day time! isn't it?) also we all are heading towards bad end as we eat "tamsik bojhan" rt frm bread to pizza's. so the idea is that these rules cannot be applied to all although they are considered as the best way of living life!!!

its ones indivisual decision to get married or not.although age does play an important role in that.fr taht lets compare nishabd and cheeni kum fr a sec:

in 1st they showed a 60 yr old person falling in love with a girl of tender age i.e 19.although the pic justifies the behavior but it is concerning to an extent as it encourages wrong behavior in society that is unacceptable by all .

in cheeni kum the best part is again the "age" both of the characters have seen enough life, have gone thru all ups and downs of teen age, youth and nw are smart enough to take their life decisions, all they have to do is to take responsibilty fr their actions. u are considering wat if amitabh bachan dies. y dn't u consider wat if girl's father dies? thne wat will be her life?
to make it all clear that the decision is a responsible one director has made every step as clear. i remember dialogue of amitabh depicting the value of sex in marriage then asking tabu if she is ready to pay that value or nt. taht itself shows taht wat they are then looking fr is above all that marital life!!

also its nt neccessary that u have to go in " jungle" to get mokhsha. our granths says taht a married person is also equally eligible to get mokhsha if he takes all his responsibilities seriously and do good to society.tahts the reason why nt all of those gurus who have left their wife and children fr tapasyas have nt cited to have got mokhsha.

i guess the film has been a beautiful depiction of hw such extreme steps if taken shud be taken with "RESPONSIBILITIES"

take care
anu

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Very nice opinion people..... Just to be clear (aarti_samant) my views aren't narrow minded, but the idea behind such a debate is to formulate opinion.

Moving on, people have whole-heartedly supported on the fact that 'love is blind' and what one does in his/her life is his own....

All agreed.... Now let's see from this angle... What media potrays becomes a fashion... because media is the voice and the power of thinking of many people. How things are depicted possesses a serious impact on many people.

My point is not against love.... but considering the fact that 'love is blind' i want to discuss some practicality here. People have compared a lot with the foriegn scenerio, putting that aside, talking things in terms of the Indian culture, i am asking this...

As Anu said, that the people should be mature enough to take responsibility. Doesn't such a thing (what the movie says) actually provokes a negative impression in the mind?

It is correct that u have the right to eat pizza or burger even at the age of 60-70, but the impact it will put on ur body/mind will be different from what it would be if u're 20.... correct?

Marriage is not the same thing as love..... because marriage involves every kind of responsibility, which, are u sure, that a man can take care with the same vigour as that of, say 25-28?

I never say that one necessarily needs to take moksha at 60, or follow an absolute satvik life, but the frame of comparison was that a person around that age is coming close to death... So, is it really justified his going back to youth.... assuming his natural death is very near?

Do u think he should start of thinking for making a family and settling down? How many years has he got with him? What after he dies within 3-4 yrs? (I am talking of natural death only, not accidental)

Correct... that each one has his own opinion... but the point of this discusion, as i repeat, is just to formulate opinion.

Again, i would like to ask one more question pertaining to responsibility... that responsibility is a big word... One has to take responsibility at every point of life.... Does love necessarily teaches u this responsibility, esp when most of the love cases we see around are at first sight.

Practically speaking, isn't the story depicted more of a case of lust of a 60+ year old man and a 30+ year old girl?

Last edited:

anu shukla

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
@ gaurav: hey dear, i think you are trying to generalise the concept, in that case it will be utter failure , evn i do agree with the same!!
but wat i have got the movie is from very different angle. i think they have tried to show that if two "responsible, brainy people" decide to get married keeping all pros and cons in life, then society should accept them.i mean if u see the part whr paresh rawal goes on satyagrah...director shows taht his frnds and family do cme to sympathize but they only enjoy the food in front of him..so wat he is trying to show( or shud i say wat i have got) is that whn such decisions occur then many a times we have to go beyond our common beliefs.

although "DN'T GENERALIZE THE FACT AND THE MOVIE IS SHOWING LIFE OF ONLY 0.0001% POPULATIONOR EVN LESS THAN THAT"

So in all i feel its the level of maturity of movie watcher that is responsible fr the impact of it on his/ her real life!!!

take care
anu

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Hi Anu,
I'm only trying to relate the changes in the modern age people in synchronism with what is shown in the movie.

@ gaurav: hey dear, i think you are trying to generalise the concept, in that case it will be utter failure , evn i do agree with the same!!
but wat i have got the movie is from very different angle. i think they have tried to show that if two "responsible, brainy people" decide to get married keeping all pros and cons in life, then society should accept them.i mean if u see the part whr paresh rawal goes on satyagrah...director shows taht his frnds and family do cme to sympathize but they only enjoy the food in front of him..so wat he is trying to show( or shud i say wat i have got) is that whn such decisions occur then many a times we have to go beyond our common beliefs.

although "DN'T GENERALIZE THE FACT AND THE MOVIE IS SHOWING LIFE OF ONLY 0.0001% POPULATIONOR EVN LESS THAN THAT"

So in all i feel its the level of maturity of movie watcher that is responsible fr the impact of it on his/ her real life!!!

take care
anu

This is exactly what i had in my mind... and the purpose of the thread is getting served.

Following the type of responses from various MPites, one can see, that someone is talking of 'live and let live', someone says 'love is blind', someone calls it lust... and someone something else...

Likewise, audience will have varied opinion on the subject.

Is the real message coming to us? In this country filled with glamour and star-dom, how many such movies actually achieve what they're made for?

We've come a long way and must say far away from what our Indian culture talks of.... The Indian cinema has become bolder and more "explicit" and hence, we're actually moving away from what was shown earlier...

Moving on with this debate, how far would u justify it?

Cheeni-kum and its message was just a mere example... There are million such things which have become an accepted norm... kissing and smooching on the screen, extra-marital affairs... and what not.

This is partly linked to the other thread that the media content is deteriorating (although might not be totally appropriate for cheeni-kum) but the fact is we have started accepting everything whatever is being shown to us...

Don't u agree?

pooja.teku

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
hey gaurav
i totaly agree with u dude AB is actualy being selfish he is only thinkin bout himself wat bout the grl that he is gona marry whatl happen to her if he dies early ha????? n love is not about being selfish its about being selfless
n guyz think about that grl she will become a widow at such a early age ....imagine livin rest of her life alone

Archie

holla ppl!!!!

wats all dis talk abt ppl thionkin abt moksha n god at d age of 60???? ppl can think of god at any time... n also... love happens at any age as well....:SugarwareZ-154:

im not sayin age makes no difference at all in love... b'coz its practical to go for a guy/gal of ur own age ..dis is b'coz u'll spend a longer time wid dem n derz a less chance of differences in opinion arisin out of age.... but... if all dese barriers r overcome.. den derz no harm in datin a guy/gal hu is older dan u r.... :SugarwareZ-232:
as its rightly said.. its more important to spen QUALITY tym rather dan just tym wid loved ones...:hug:

n besides... cheeni kum was just a movie yaar... its meant to be watched n enjoyed... dats it... actin was good.. endin *read paresh* was stupid... n d theme isnt dat new anymore... such things happen a lot nowadays..

only thing to watch out is dat d ppl u luv..old or not..... shud be genuine^^

profpjshah

I agree to you that love has no bars....i know someone who is around the same age and lost his wife...he really needs a partner

rinku_sharma

aree wrong kya,story is justified man is 64 not mariied women 34 not married , too ye to hona hi tha . galt kya na umar ki seema hae na janmo ka bandhan- :) in fact here my college we have two such couples !! and they are happy enough ;)

rhs

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
no, amitabh was 64yr thats average living year of the people he would spoil the life of a woman of kis daughters age.