is it possible to keep professional life separate from personal life

roshcrazy

MP Guru
EVERY one has trouble keeping personal and professional lives apart. We are human beings after all, and it is but natural that our personal and professional halves merge into one whole, in spite of our best efforts and intentions. The real problem arises only when one half starts hampering the effective functioning of the other.
For example, when things are not going too well on the professional front, our work suffers. Then it is time to stop and take notice. You have to make an all out attempt to compartmentalise and keep your personal and professional life apart for the sake of your own sanity and well-being. Else, you could end up losing both ways.

If we are going thru a bad patch at home/ office and vent out those frustrations in double or more measure in the other, then we are mixing the two. If we are able to keep the rough patch of life out of our professional lives and give it our 100%, then i would say, we have been able to keep the two distinct.

If a friend joins the same organisation and the competitive friend goes ahead in the career using every trick available in the book and on this ground, we break off a friendship, then maybe we are mixing personal and professional. Because in this, the friendship between two is quite different than the competitive rivalry.

Of course, these above are way too general, but its applicability to real life situations is easy to see.

IS it easy to achieve this balance..??
how can 1 maintain equilibrium between the two..??

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi,
Yes, it is possible to keep the equilibrium.Itz afterall your life.No one has better control of ur life than you.Keep a short formula:

Leave your official worries along with the shoes as soon as you enter home.Start thinking about it the next day morning when you wear the shoes.

If you start clubbing both life will becom miserable.

-Deepak.

roshcrazy

MP Guru
Hi,
Yes, it is possible to keep the equilibrium.Itz afterall your life.No one has better control of ur life than you.Keep a short formula:

Leave your official worries along with the shoes as soon as you enter home.Start thinking about it the next day morning when you wear the shoes.

If you start clubbing both life will becom miserable.

-Deepak.

At work how can you just snap out of something which bothered you at home and vice versa? How is one able to overcome the dilemma?I agree at the individualistic approach to a problem but I still am not convinced if one can really keep both lives separate.I think no-one tries to mix proffessional and personal life by choice and everyone tries to minimize it, but things at work get carried home and vice-versa against one's wishes many yet times
Thoughts in mind are not clothes that you can change into, one set for office and another set for home.

Last edited:

hemant.k008

Both goes parallely. if ur professional life is not going good then its natural ur personal life will get affected. and on the other hand if ur personal life is not good the u will affect the professional life.

But more of professional life does affect eh personal life. there is a reason to it. professional (working) hours r so increased that u hardly get some time to spend with ur loved ones. so majority of ur time u spend in working and if someting wrong happens there, it will shatter ur personal life.

saquib

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
ya personal life shud always be kept away from professional life.....every1 has some frustrations,disappointments,anger,hatred,jealousy amongst peers etc...in either personal or professional life......

"sometimes when we start running after bitter thoughts...we miss out on the sweeter one's."

purush_tiwari

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Guys ,i have say it very important to have descipline & gudds to communicate in offcie & home ,whats the situation is? communicating things rightly solves most of the issues .

kartikkool

EVERY one has trouble keeping personal and professional lives apart. We are human beings after all, and it is but natural that our personal and professional halves merge into one whole, in spite of our best efforts and intentions. The real problem arises only when one half starts hampering the effective functioning of the other.
For example, when things are not going too well on the professional front, our work suffers. Then it is time to stop and take notice. You have to make an all out attempt to compartmentalise and keep your personal and professional life apart for the sake of your own sanity and well-being. Else, you could end up losing both ways.

If we are going thru a bad patch at home/ office and vent out those frustrations in double or more measure in the other, then we are mixing the two. If we are able to keep the rough patch of life out of our professional lives and give it our 100%, then i would say, we have been able to keep the two distinct.

If a friend joins the same organisation and the competitive friend goes ahead in the career using every trick available in the book and on this ground, we break off a friendship, then maybe we are mixing personal and professional. Because in this, the friendship between two is quite different than the competitive rivalry.

Of course, these above are way too general, but its applicability to real life situations is easy to see.

IS it easy to achieve this balance..??
how can 1 maintain equilibrium between the two..??

yea it is.... it boils down to ur maturity levl.... u ve gt to learn to tak pressure

techno

I think that both come in each other's way ...one can't enjoy professional success until he his sucessful personly and vice versa

manilavijay

Hi all,

The very first thing any humanbeing has to realise is his existence on earth,the fact as to how he came into being.The root of any individual,the so called professional or businessman or whatever is definitely his family.No person can ever be successful in life without the ultimate support of his family(even though not in his work at least a mental support).The fact as to how we came to this world,of how we made our first step etc would all definitely make us realise the importance of a family.You can of course have a good balance in your bank or own a Mercedes but one such thing you never ever can buy is a good family.And as one of my friend has already stated well once you enter your home and when you are out of that shoes,you should just be a family man and for that i guess you should try to never carry your work back home which i know will not work for some people at least.But still care can be taken as to never go on and on with this same mantra of only work and money and completely forget of the very existence of a family cause the fact is that in a moment of crisis there will only be this family to help you out.

melroy88

Yes it is it possible to keep professional life separate from personal life,unless ur boss is ur wife/husband !! lolz ;)

pooja.teku

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i know its hard to draw a line betwen ur profesional life n ur personal life
but u have to coz u cant let ur profesional life distrub ur personal life in vise versa
It's a decision you can make. Just because one part of your life isn't working doesn't mean that the other has to break down as well.
i have seen ppl cryin coz they say they scored less in their board coz they had just broken up with their bf or gf itz sad u know to hear all this
how can the guy or the gal who does not care for u matter when u studyin for ur boardz
if u have a personal probem i say open up tell ur best frnd or some one close to u n they will surely help u out
n about profesional life i say keep it in office only why bring that frustation home ha

devbhushan

It is absolutely possible to maintain the differnce thru work life balance. It is achieving daily MEANINGFUL ACHIEVEMENT & SATISFACTION in 4 spheres of human life : Friends, family, work & self.

sfsuemba

I must say keeping personal life out of professional life is BEST. From personal experience, I had 2 relationships at 2 different workplace that didn't work out and I had to work with the people afterwards. It was very difficult and I wish that I never got into such situation.

tejas15aug

we are one n we live the life one way one cant separate in total personal life from professional life and it depends on the phase of the life you r in...so initially at the start of carreer you r more concerned with proffesional life then personal but at no single moment these two can be totaly separated