Marketing & HR not so different?

S

sfong

I'm wondering what hiring managers see as the different skills between HR and marketing. I feel like I have skills that are well suited to both but it seems like neither manager will hire you if your background is in the other...

These are the distilled skills I see are needed:
-Strong in data analytics
-Strong ability to understand people through research
-Strong communication
-Strong knowledge of business needs
-If manager - strong ability to develop others

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
HR is not a business function. It doesn't need to understand customer behaviour, not does it need to create gimmicks, tactics, strategies for sales.

At the end of the day, as you go up the hierarchy you become more of a generalist. At the bottom you need people with specific skills. HR will have various subsets of performance appraisal, talent retention, recruitment and selection etc.

nick77

HR is not a revenue generating field unlike marketing where alot of the company's attention and budget goes to.. because it plays a huge role in promoting and attract customers.

Teachwell

HR is not a revenue generating field but marketing is as of it is set of targets. Rest depends on, but I know only this much.

L

love-sites

HR plays an inportant role in a company,a good HR will help you hire suitable people with ability.:SugarwareZ-140: