Is Reservation in Higher Education Only Alternative for Social Equality?

B

bableenbrokencyDechopra

I myself am from open category. Just got done with HSC, wish to pursue Fine art.
I gave the entrance exam and was pretty much astonished when the list's came out,
there were around 2000 student's who gave the entrance, out of which, from the open category only the top 100 - 150 were selected, rest of the seat's were given to the backward classes, even though most of them ranked in 1000's.

According to me providing reservation in the higher education is not a very good way for attaining social equality. This gives rises to several unfair circumstances when it comes to the case of ethical competition. Like, the importance of merit is lost as a result of which the output quality of the students is not that up to the mark. This also give rise to a sense of dissatisfaction in a part of the youth, which feels that his caliber has been of no use simply because a person from a different caste, not that worthy of the position, has been given the benefit. In my opinion, providing reservations in the lower education system of the nation would rather be a better way. Why I feel so. ? I would like to mention the positive aspect of such arrangement. A child is an unbiased creature. For him caste does not matters. When, children, irrespective of their caste will study in a system where quality education is given, irrespective of their caste, I don't think they will ever enter in such a caste debate ever and because the level of education would be similar, all of them will be equally benefited. So, I think that providing reservations on the ground levels, and strengthening the ground level education system throughout the rural and urban framework of the nation, will show a better impact.