Is Your Leadership Style Important?

bensimo

Bennet Simonton
I would love to hear the opinions of others.

For me, my 30+ years of managing people taught me that style only gets in the way of leading people to be highly motivated, committed and fully engaged in their work. In that state, they are at least 300% more productive than if poorly engaged.

Getting your employees to that state consists of meeting their five basic needs to the very highest level. Does anyone want to know these needs?

Best regards, Ben
Author "Leading People to be Highly Motivated and Committed"
Leadership Skills essential to being an exceptional manager. Build high performing teams, trust, motivation, commitment. Buy book about leadership skills, leadership training, executive leadership coaching

winner@1

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
I would love to hear the opinions of others.

For me, my 30+ years of managing people taught me that style only gets in the way of leading people to be highly motivated, committed and fully engaged in their work. In that state, they are at least 300% more productive than if poorly engaged.

Getting your employees to that state consists of meeting their five basic needs to the very highest level. Does anyone want to know these needs?

Best regards, Ben
Author "Leading People to be Highly Motivated and Committed"
Leadership Skills essential to being an exceptional manager. Build high performing teams, trust, motivation, commitment. Buy book about leadership skills, leadership training, executive leadership coaching

Hello sir good evening its great pleasure to have you on management paradise .
leadership style is very important at thiis stage and personally i feel that during this recession period we need a leader who has transactional leadership and democratic leadership is very recommadable to any firm transaction helps for productivity of company and it improve the moral of worker and in democratic workers participate in discussion it helps in company growth its my personal opinion .

thanks

bensimo

Bennet Simonton
Gaurav,

Do you have proof that your opinion is correct? I have proved that style is not what you need to succeed. Style is all about what you have to offer employees. But that is not what they need. Give them what they need and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams, recession or not.

Best regards, Ben
Leadership Skills

winner@1

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Gaurav,

Do you have proof that your opinion is correct? I have proved that style is not what you need to succeed. Style is all about what you have to offer employees. But that is not what they need. Give them what they need and you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams, recession or not.

Best regards, Ben
Leadership Skills

yA its leader are here to support the team members in any form in aim towards to reach their goal .

thanks .

Shrusti

MP Guru
Which 5 needs are you referring to Ben ?

30 years of managing people eh? Looking forward to hearing more from you.

I think leaders are what leaders do.. researchers study and analyse these styles, come up with traits etc but I think leadership is more situational in nature more than anything else.

bensimo

Bennet Simonton
Shrusti,

The five needs are: to be heard, to be respected, and to have competence, autonomy, and relatedness (think purpose), these last three from the research of Edward Deci and Richard Ryan, what they called Self Determination Theory, what motivates us.

These five needs are basic to every person and the extent management meets them dictates the performance of their people (the extent to which people apply their natural creativity, innovation, and productivity to their work). For instance, issue lots of orders to the workforce and they will know they are disrespected and will treat their work, their customers, each other, and their bosses to the same level of disrespect.

You have put you finger on the error of researchers in that they research leaders rather than the people being led. Prospective car mechanics are not so dumb as to study other mechanics and know they must study and learn all they can about the cars they are expected to maintain.

Best regards, BenLeadership Skills essential to being an exceptional manager. Build high performing teams, trust, motivation, commitment. Buy book about leadership skills, leadership training, executive leadership coaching

ankitagaba

Hi Ben,

You have got some interesting insights there.

In a scenario where employees and work force is self motivated, fulfilling these needs would suffice. Giving direction keeping in mind " Respect competence autonomy relatedness" might just be the best thing to do.

However what do you suggest should be done when the team is not very self motivated? when they don't want to work for the companies goal but theirs. In such cases wouldn't it be crucial to give orders than direction. Giving orders doesn't always mean disrespect.

And following the way that you suggest, wouldn't that qualify as a leadership style too? Being a leader who hears, respects, provides space to take decisions etc. It's a lot like being a democratic leader, isn't it?

bensimo

Bennet Simonton
Hi Ben,

However what do you suggest should be done when the team is not very self motivated? when they don't want to work for the companies goal but theirs. In such cases wouldn't it be crucial to give orders than direction. Giving orders doesn't always mean disrespect.

And following the way that you suggest, wouldn't that qualify as a leadership style too? Being a leader who hears, respects, provides space to take decisions etc. It's a lot like being a democratic leader, isn't it?

I would love to answer these questions and I am sure that I would know constructive answers, but I would need to know a lot more about how your team is being managed at present and the goals of the company as compared to what employees were hired to do.

If you really want answers, give me a call at 813-634-4003 but it won't be a short call. If the expense of the call is important to you, I can call you as long as you are in the US.

Best regards, Ben Simonton
Leadership Skills

winner@1

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hi Ben,

You have got some interesting insights there.

In a scenario where employees and work force is self motivated, fulfilling these needs would suffice. Giving direction keeping in mind " Respect competence autonomy relatedness" might just be the best thing to do.

hii ankita ,

As you told employees don't work for their companies goals and only for their , i would suggest leadership style is not important here its how the leader or employer convinces employees nicely

for eg if i am working in xyz company and i am not interested in companies goal only interested in my goal then boss of xyzcompany will tell me that if you work towards the goal of the company automatically you will achive your own goals. and this will creat faith in them .

and democratic will best leader ship but according tome lazier fair is best type of leader ship style it will be .

bbageek

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Leadership styles isn't important at all. What counts in the end is the result. If you can bring result your style doesn't matter.

For example, if Hitler had succeeded in his dream and had won the second World War, everyone would have praised his dictatorship, or autocratic style. However, the matter of fact is it's difficult to bring the result with such (dictatorial) style.

prat40

In my opinion leadership styles matter but not always. You always cannot give your employees what they want? But there the leadership quality you have to show.