Be More Likeable

9 Ways To Be More Likeable

1. Be yourself. The more you stay true to yourself, the more likeable you will be. This might not seem obvious because you might wonder, "What if no one likes the real me?" It can be really hard to be yourself -- especially if you feel like you don't fit in -- but even if you are different from other people, when you are true to yourself, people appreciate that. Just think about the last time you met someone who was truly being him/herself. Even if you didn't really relate to him or her, you have to admit that there is something fantastic about someone who is comfortable with who they are. Strive to emulate that in your own life.

2. Stay in the moment. Despite the fact that the word "present" is in the title of my site, staying in the moment is very hard for me -- and it really takes away from me being a likeable person. When I'm worrying about what I'm going to do next or focusing on what happened before, I'm not enjoying the moment -- and I'm making it less enjoyable for those around me. Stay present to make yourself happier -- and more likeable to be around.

3. Be open to new ideas. The more open you are to new ideas, the more enjoyable it is to be in your company. People want to be around people who will be receptive to them and encourage them. Shooting down others ideas and only asserting your own is a sure way to lose friends. While it's critical to be yourself, it's equally as important to be open and willing to hear what others have to say. And that leads us to #4...

4. Learn to listen. If you want to be a likeable person, one of the best things you can do for yourself is learn to become an excellent listener. Sure, people want to hear you talk too, but what people really want is someone who can listen to what they're saying. Listening seems like a basic skill, but it's a tough one for me to master. I always want to jump in with my thoughts and ideas so learning to be a better listener is something I really have to work on -- and you can too!

5. Go with the flow. Another tough one for me is going with the flow. I love my routines and schedules and favorite things/foods/places, so breaking out of my comfort zone and just going with the flow can be really difficult for me. However, I know this is a crucial step to being an enjoyable person to be around. No one wants to be around people so stuck in their ways that they don't want to compromise so if you want to be likeable, you have to learn to give a little and just go with the flow.

6. Point out the positive. You and I both know that no one wants to be around someone negative all the time. It's such a downer and it really is one of the worst ways to be likeable. One of the best ways, of course, is to be positive! People love to have people around who bring with them positive energy and who focus on the good things. Next time you're surrounded by others, try taking a moment to point out some positive things about the situation and see how others respond.

7. Avoid negative judgments. Judging is a surefire way to make some enemies -- and to promote negativity -- and we all know that that's not what you want when you're trying to be an enjoyable person to be around. As fun as judging can be sometimes, it's not the glue you want to use to hold a friendship or relationship together. Instead of bonding with someone by critiquing others, try to bring up positive points about other people and unite over those things instead. People don't want to be judged so avoiding negative judgments can really help to make you a more likeable person to spend time with.

8. Be interested -- and interesting. Here's the thing: when I'm bored, it's very obvious that I'm bored. I'm not all that great at feigning interest. But this is something I need to work on. I once read somewhere: "Only boring people get bored," and I believe that to be true. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, there's something interesting going on. Find out what it is and focus on it. Ask good questions. And, importantly, bring your own interesting facts to the table. Don't be afraid to share with others because everyone loves an interesting person!

9. Respect others (and yourself). One of the most basic things you can do in any situation if you want to be likeable is to treat others with respect. No matter what others do/say, it's important to be respectful of them and their ideas or words. If you want to be enjoyable to be around, you have to have respect for others -- and that all starts with having respect for yourself. A lack of respect for yourself is a great way to be unlikeable so start with self-love and cultivating a sense of self-respect to make yourself an enjoyable person to be around.

Source

Do be a good listener. People like to talk about themselves and love it when someone will listen to them. If you are a good listener then others will like having vonversations with you. Being a good listener is the best thing you can do to be a good conversationalist.