Untapped Market (Africa)

vipinair

Re: List of TYBMS 100 marks TOPICS !! ( Exhaustive list )

hi people...

my college has allowed us to choose a topic that we would like for the 100 marks final year project. i would like to do something in MARKETING. i thought a lot and landed on a topic "AFRICA : an untapped market".

in this project i am trying to project how africa out of all the continents in the world is the most uninvested continent and how it has the resources. i plan to take 3 sectors FMCG, TECHNOLOGY and AUTOMOBILES and try to make a project. for each of this sector i will try to take a company and put their comments.

but unfortunately i am not getting any data on african economy. some facts about the political unstability,which is the chief reason for its poverty. i would also like to have some information about what resources african continent has in huge.

to end...if anyone could please comment on the topic and sketch a skelton of the project i would be glad.

regards...
-vipin.

bhavin_3

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)

vipinair said:
hi people...

my college has allowed us to choose a topic that we would like for the 100 marks final year project. i would like to do something in MARKETING. i thought a lot and landed on a topic "AFRICA : an untapped market".

in this project i am trying to project how africa out of all the continents in the world is the most uninvested continent and how it has the resources. i plan to take 3 sectors FMCG, TECHNOLOGY and AUTOMOBILES and try to make a project. for each of this sector i will try to take a company and put their comments.

but unfortunately i am not getting any data on african economy. some facts about the political unstability,which is the chief reason for its poverty. i would also like to have some information about what resources african continent has in huge.

to end...if anyone could please comment on the topic and sketch a skelton of the project i would be glad.

regards...
-vipin.

Hey der vipin its simply a superb topic i believe no 1 would have touched this 1..

Ok now here it comes..

Firstly if you are focussing in Africa, i would suggest you opt for tanzania thats a country in East Africa which is a competely untapped market..

Ok some of the reason why this market hasnt reached its potential.
Political instability of the party CCM.
  • Illeteracy rate very high
  • Due to illiteracy the people dont get jobs and have shifted focus on crime
  • Infrastructure development very poor.
  • Problems of electrical power which is making they industry sector on slow progress
  • Foreign investor have never understood the potential of this market & growth.
  • The richest diamonds they produce tanzanite, they have sold it cheap to south african firms, it shows somewht the incapability of higher authority people
  • Corruption at its peak
Now as u said ur focus would be on FMCG, Automobiles & Technology..!!

If you see the FMCG market here it hasnt grown a bit in last 5 years the country mainly believe's in export is the best option..They have they major FMCG products being exported frm neighbouring country KENYA & INDIA 2..

On automobile sector toyota has been ruling the market down there.. Every 3rd car would be a toyota. So again its more of an export market down there.

Technology is growing at a rapid rate in cities like DAr-Es-Salaam which is the capital of Tanzania and some parts of Korogwe. Though technology hasnt reached where India would be today but surely growing at a large rate.. U can say its one of the best market down thre..!!!

I believe from this outline you would be able to such more data on this if u need more help on2 this just post down here..!!

So i believe the skeleton would be like

• Starting why Africa is untapped market
  • Focussing on Tanzania..
  • The probs pertaining there..
  • if resolved the issues what could be the progress rate.
  • A brilliant market but yet unexplored.
  • Different sectors and they capacity to expand
  • Focus on infrastructure being the main hindrance.
  • And some basic research which you are including
  • You can also search for case study on tanzanite mebbe you can find it on the net.!!
Tac care..!
Admin

vishal_1986

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)

vipinair said:
hi people...

regards...
-vipin.

hi the vipin dude...i supose the below given links will solve all ur queries regarin every damn thing on SA....u name it...political economic cultural tech social regional geographic...imports exports..land...nature...ppl...food...u name...u get it...so 1st go thorugh these 2 links...analysse the country in depth frm the 2 links n ur other data u must b havin...make a PESTEg of the country..( country profile)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa
http://www.britannica.com/search?query=South+Africa&ct=&searchSubmit.x=0&searchSubmit.y=0

thn...2nd

start mentionin ...( since u have taken FMCG, AUTO and TECH), y SA n may b these 3 sectors are untapped...2 reason this Q...use the below points...and do analysis...
as u takin those 3 sectors... ...do analysis of these 3 sectors in tht country...which might include...details of these 3 sector in SAn its diff regiosn...the resources...their improts exports...policies..etc on these 3...

since u takin 1 company for each sector... take once domestic and one exportin company...n put views of both...( i suppose u should do tht way)

...ill get bac with more points and stuff...asap...g2g now..

vishal_1986

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)

points given by bhavin are also good...n do focus on thm 2....

PS: requestin admin 2 shift the TY project help by vipin frm here to a new thred on his topic... this thread for only topic's list...i hope its done asap...

enigma

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Africa? Until recently, few American exporters have headed in that direction for business expansion. For one thing, only knowledgeable observers made a distinction between the nations beset by extreme poverty and civil strife–often the food aid recipients–and countries where real market opportunities exist.

For another thing, South Africa was marginalized economically and politically until apartheid ended and democracy was restored in 1994.

But now that a national reconciliation is underway, things are changing. In fact, South Africa appears to have entered a new era of economic and political opportunities as well as challenges.

There’s no denying the clout of South Africa’s market. It’s the largest for U.S. goods and services in sub-Saharan Africa. The country has the most advanced, broadly based and productive economy in Africa.

Following the restoration of democracy, foreign investment has increased, with American companies leading the way, although at a slower pace than originally expected.

South Africa offers medium- and long-term opportunities for many American exporters with the right products, resources, business acumen, creativity and stamina. Plenty of market opportunities exist, but proper positioning and promotion are key considerations, and returns are not likely to be immediate.

Market Trends

Reflecting the country’s considerable ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, the South African market is complex . This country of 40 million still has a large percentage of the population with limited purchasing power (business sources estimate that 50 percent or more are considered poor/very poor), a middle-income group (close to 45 percent) with some level of disposable income, and a small upper middle/upper class layer (approximately 5 percent or 2-2.5 million) who can afford high-value febart1aspecialty food products. Most consumer-ready food imports, particularly from the United States, are considered high-value and specialty products.

The supermarkets are sophisticated: stocked with a range of high-quality local, and, to a lesser degree, imported foods. U.S. products are still limited, principally because of stiff competition from the local processing sector and imports (primarily from southern and western Europe), different consumer preferences, the strength of the dollar and unfamiliarity with U.S. products.

Observant U.S. exporters can spot opportunities in specialty and niche food products for the retail market and in intermediary food ingredients for the food processing and food services sectors.

The market also extends beyond South Africa’s borders. In fact, it should be approached as the Southern African regional market, since many big supermarkets have opened outlets in Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

Supermarket buyers are especially looking for novelty products, as listed at the end of this article. In return, they expect the U.S. supplier to be prepared with a marketing strategy as well as the ability to finance in-store promotional programs.

Foraging Habits of the South African Yuppie

The lifestyle of the upper middle income group is similar to that of young professionals in other developed countries. They tend to be working couples with one or two children, conscious of healthy and nutritious eating habits (preservative-free, lean and low-fat items are popular). These are consumers who seek convenience, like "prepared fresh" foods, as well as fun/healthy foods for their children. febart1b

Families still tend to do more of their own home meal preparation and use individual touches to cook their dinners.

In the South African marketplace, frozen products are considered to be of lower quality than chilled and fresh.

South Africans’ taste profile is decidedly spicier than that of U.S. consumers; sales of Tex/Mex foods stand to benefit from that preference.

While salsa, chips, or tortillas are interesting diversions that may have novelty appeal, families would more regularly prefer pasta-and-sauce dinners that provide value and variety.

Italian foods and Mediterranean foods in general are exceedingly popular, thanks perhaps to climatic similarities and ethnic affinity (a large population with Portuguese and other European background).

Afrikaners like sweets, in general. Some cities have substantial Muslim populations and thus require halal meat. Also, South Africa’s Jewish population consumes a variety of kosher and other specialty products.

Consumers are highly brand conscious, particularly in non-food products (sports goods and clothing), a trend that one buyer attributes to the "aspiration aspect" of buying products beyond one’s means. "People would pay a premium for the snob value," commented one contact. Still, in food there seems to be a preference for local food suppliers.

American influence is noticeable on television, as well as in movies and clothing stores. In food services, the Hard Rock Café, KFC, McDonald’s, TGI Friday’s and Morton’s Seafood can be found in upscale shopping centers or areas frequented by tourists. In addition, some local restaurants like Spur Santa Ana capitalize on the cachet of Native American and Western themes and menu, but are wholly owned and operated by locals.

Similarly, some products in the supermarkets bear American motifs–yet are locally made. Examples include Belly Beans (jelly beans), "Texan Chili" flavored chips, American Mix (trail mix of pretzels and salty snacks). All these are actually South African products.

U.S. Presence in the Market

The official retail market is dominated by a handful of big supermarket chains, convenience chains and some independent stores.

According to industry sources, Pick ‘n Pay has about 40 percent of the market; Shoprite/Chequers/OK/Hyperama group about 40 percent; Spar, 3-4 percent (some put it higher); and Woolworth, 5 percent. Convenience stores such as 7-Eleven (no relation to the U.S. chain), 8-Time and stores at gas stations are increasing in numbers.

And that’s without measuring growth in unaccounted street vendors and small independent stores.

Imported products can be primarily found in upscale stores like Thrupps, Woolworth, and Pick n’ Pay, although they can be found in Shoprite and Hyperama stores as well. febart1c

Although some U.S. products are already on supermarket shelves, the majority of imported foods come from Europe, Canada and Australia, with a smaller number from Asia.

Convenience stores tend to carry the general brands like Kellogg, Pillsbury, Old El Paso, Pringles, Frito Lay and Heinz products, which sometimes turn out to be made in Australia, Europe or locally. From the United States, only rice (repackaged locally) was consistently found in food stores.

Bright Ideas for U.S. Suppliers

The following products were suggested by store managers, buyers and exhibitors at Hostex, a local food and hospitality show, as products of potential interest.

Consumer items include:

* specialty rices
* Tex/Mex food products
* kosher foods
* biscuits
* snacks
* pet foods
* flavored prunes (lemon/orange)
* dehydrated tomatoes
* packaged salad toppings
* crushed garlic
* specialty chocolates and coffees if not very expensive
* shelf-stable nacho-with-cheese packages

Food ingredients are also in demand for bakery sector:

* poppy and sesame seed
* pie fillings (blueberry, cherry)
* preservatives
* sugar byproducts and syrups
* liquid shortening

Marketing/Business Approach

In some stores such as Spar, there is centralized purchasing; in others, such as Hyperama/Shoprite, individual buyers must be approached. In the case of Woolworth, the importing agent must be contacted, although the company is known to visit major food shows.

As a buyer from Spar stores stated, "Anything sells if the price is right." He personally welcomes novelty products, provided companies come with marketing program and promotional funds. Exceptions are possible, if the product is unique.

Most other stores are also willing to entertain promotion of U.S. products. Woolworth, which is currently doing "Taste of the Far East," also carries "Taste of America" (fajitas and salsa in chilled form). In the past, they’ve undertaken U.S. promotions (mostly hamburgers, pizza, Tex/Mex). Woolworth charges a fee to companies to carry out its private-label promotions. Imports are handled through their local or a European agent. Hyperama recommended piggybacking promotions with larger U.S. companies (such as Heinz and Pillsbury) that already have a presence in the market and product lines to offer.

For a regular promotion, store advertising cost as little as $5,000, but can run as high as $100,000, depending on the advertising media–store flyer, TV, or radio.

SOURCE: FASONLINE

Here are some of the topics :

Bisleri Marketing Project
Study on Consumer Buying Behavior and Satisfaction Level
Need for Customer Relationship Management
Load Testing of Loan Search
Global Marketing
E-Marketing
Rural Marketing Project
Advertising Effectiveness
Effect of Customer Loyalty Programs in Convenience Stores
Recruitment and Channel Development