Puzzles

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Lets try some nice puzzles.......

There are two trains. One from New York to Washington and second from Washington to New York. The total journey to a destination takes 5 hours. A train from New York to Washington leaves on hour at every hour The train from Washington to New York leaves an hour and on half an hour. How many trains will be passing if you are traveling from New York to Washington?

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
No replies?? C'mon guys and girls, need more active participation. Just try and give whatever solution seems best to you.

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
There are two trains. One from New York to Washington and second from Washington to New York. The total journey to a destination takes 5 hours. A train from New York to Washington leaves on hour at every hour The train from Washington to New York leaves an hour and on half an hour. How many trains will be passing if you are traveling from New York to Washington?

what du u mean by the underlined part..............i really reied but in vein..............don give the answer.........plz.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ruvi_143 said:

what du u mean by the underlined part..............i really reied but in vein..............don give the answer.........plz.
One train leaves every hr... and the other one (from the other side) leaves after every 30 mins. Hope its clear now.

hii_bharti

i think it should be ten (10) if u require 5 hrs to travel from NW to washington
hopefully u r asking how many trains will u see passing by.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
hii_bharti said:
i think it should be ten (10) if u require 5 hrs to travel from NW to washington
hopefully u r asking how many trains will u see passing by.
Nope the answer is NOT 10..... u have skipped something very important here. Try thinking about it once again...... very deeply !!

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
im not sure wid my ans ........and at the same time im unable to understand the question also.

the question does not state whether ur travelling or no

so if ur travelling from new york to washington by a train i feel the answer woud be 9 trains

and if ur not travellin by a train then i feel the answer shoud be 19.

wats d correct ans dude?

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
im not sure wid my ans ........and at the same time im unable to understand the question also.

so if ur travelling from new york to washington by a train i feel the answer woud be 9 trains

wats d correct ans dude?

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ruvi_143 said:

wats d correct ans dude?
lolz.... before i tell u the answer, u got to tell me what exactly do u mean by travelling or not travelling....... If u do not travel, how can u see any train??

So if u r seeing trains, that indicates, per se, that u r travelling by a train. Do explain me what methods u used to get the answer, an then i will tell u whether u r right or wrong.

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)

to see trains passin its not cumpolsory that u need to be in atraveling train...............u can cee dem while standin or doin any other activity also

well
if ur travellin 4rm new york to washington its obvious that u cant see the ones passing n the same direction- so trains passin 4rm new york 2 wasjington is ruled out.............................den comes d ones 4rm wahington 2 new york..............dats 10-1=9............

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ok, the first thing, that he is actually travelling..... and it is given in the question.

ruvi_143 said:

ruvi u r getting it, but not completely. The best way to analyse it is to think.... Break ur thinking starting from a particular hr and then, think which would be the first train u would see, and what time it would have left Washington.... Then, u will realise that the answer is NOT 9.....

Think a little harder !! :tea:

to see trains passin its not cumpolsory that u need to be in atraveling train...............u can cee dem while standin or doin any other activity

well
if ur travellin 4rm new york to washington its obvious that u cant see the ones passing n the same direction- so trains passin 4rm new york 2 wasjington is ruled out.............................den comes d ones 4rm wahington 2 new york..............dats 10-1=9............

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Ok, let me give u a hint, to motivate u. Say u start from NY at 5 pm. So when u encounter the first train, what time would it have started from Washington? Think about it.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
What happened guys........ You stopped trying. C'mon think a little harder, give those brain cells some more exercise. You're very close to the answer ..... :smile:

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
i don kno y............but i aint gettin it...............giveout the ans dude................i feel like a loser

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ruvi_143 said:
i don kno y............but i aint gettin it...............giveout the ans dude................i feel like a loser
Well Ruvi the answer should be 19. The first train he sees while in the train, would have started from the other side at 12:30pm (supposing he starts at 5pm). He would also see a train reaching the station, which would have started from the other side at 12 noon, but at that time, he hadnt started moving. So counting like this, we get 19 trains (he reaches at 10pm)

Just analyse it if u r still stuck

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
oh guru.................................................cah gaye.................i got it....................................amazin questio dude............u really gotcha think..........try gettin some more tricky ques like dis na................its real fun

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ruvi_143 said:
oh guru.................................................cah gaye.................i got it....................................amazin questio dude............u really gotcha think..........try gettin some more tricky ques like dis na................its real fun
Thanks dude, i will surely post more puzzles like these. FYI, this was asked for Infy's test.

ruvi_143

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Therz dis question which is fromthe info list only:

. If the digits of my present age are reversed then i get the age of my son.If 1 year ago my age was twice as that of my son.Find my present age.

I know the ans but aint able to justify it........................guys try it out 1st............den il declare d ans.....................

HELP: GAURAV

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
ruvi_143 said:
Therz dis question which is fromthe info list only:

. If the digits of my present age are reversed then i get the age of my son.If 1 year ago my age was twice as that of my son.Find my present age.

I know the ans but aint able to justify it........................guys try it out 1st............den il declare d ans.....................

HELP: GAURAV
To solve such Qs, commonly asked in CAT, just assume the units digit to be x and the tens digit to be y.

So the no. will become 10y+x

Now, its a matter of forming 2 simple quadratic eqns and solving for x and y.

If u r still unclear, let me know through PM.