MBA CET Preparation Guide

Patrickd

Hi All

Starting this thread so that we can discuss with regards to preparation for MBA CET exam.

To introduce myself
I am Patrick, done my Management from JBIMS. Currently running a coaching institute by the name of Quoin Education Solutions Pvt. Ltd. (Quoin Academy)
My attempts with regards to CET
1998 - Rank 3
2010 - Rank 2 (178/200)
2011 - Rank 1 (172/200)

More than 100 of my students have made it to JBIMS.

I have been a DTE panelist for CET GDPI.

Currently I am a visiting faculty at S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research.

manavsi

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Hello Patrick Sir....It's a pleasure having you as a member among us...Hoping to learn many things from you and also through your knowledge we have a value addition to us...

shreyadas

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Welcome Patrick Sir :)

Seems you have mastered cracking CET ( exam thought of as luck based test ) . What has been your strategy?

There has been a huge gap between your first cet and your last 2 attempts. How has it changed your strategy?

Looks like I'm jumping on to too many questions.. will let you settle down and give some gyan from your side first !!

Patrickd

Welcome Patrick Sir :)

Seems you have mastered cracking CET ( exam thought of as luck based test ) . What has been your strategy?

There has been a huge gap between your first cet and your last 2 attempts. How has it changed your strategy?

Looks like I'm jumping on to too many questions.. will let you settle down and give some gyan from your side first !!

CET is a speed based test. So the way you write the exam is different from the way you write CAT. In CET the questions are jumbled up, i.e. they are not divided into sections like the other exams. Therefore the approach to CET is different as compared to other exams.

Would advise you to write a couple of mock papers for CET so that you understand the pattern of the paper and analyse your strengths and weakness in the test. Give a thought to how can you do better in the next mock?

Patrickd

Solve the following questions:
1. MBA CET Preparation, Strategies and more
By selling a watch at a profit of 10percent, a man got Rs. 15 more than half its price. What is the price of the watch?
(a) 10
(b) 15
(c) 25
(d) 5

2. Anil and Dheeraj run a 4 km race on a circular course 400 m long in the same direction. If their speeds are in the ratio of 3:2, how many times does Anil pass Dheeraj?
(a) 2 times
(b) 3 times
(c) 4 times
(d) 5 times

3. A shopkeeper marks up the price of his product by 40%. If he increases the discount from 5% to 10%, the profit would decrease by Rs. 14. How much profit would he earn if he gives a discount of 20% on the marked price?
(a) Rs. 56
(b) Rs. 28
(c) Rs. 32
(d) Rs. 24

Patrickd

Solve the following questions:
1. MBA CET Preparation, Strategies and more
By selling a watch at a profit of 10percent, a man got Rs. 15 more than half its price. What is the price of the watch?
(a) 10
(b) 15
(c) 25
(d) 5

2. Anil and Dheeraj run a 4 km race on a circular course 400 m long in the same direction. If their speeds are in the ratio of 3:2, how many times does Anil pass Dheeraj?
(a) 2 times
(b) 3 times
(c) 4 times
(d) 5 times

3. A shopkeeper marks up the price of his product by 40%. If he increases the discount from 5% to 10%, the profit would decrease by Rs. 14. How much profit would he earn if he gives a discount of 20% on the marked price?
(a) Rs. 56
(b) Rs. 28
(c) Rs. 32
(d) Rs. 24

Answer
1. C. Take option 25. 10% profit is 2.5. So SP = 27.5. Which is 15 more than 25/2=12.5
2. B. there wil be 10 revolutions...their resp times will b 2/3.....so they will be complete 4km in 20 and 30 hrs resp......so they will cross each other in multiples of 2 and 3 i.e 6,12 and 18!!!so 3 times
3. d. CP is 200
MP is 280
discount is 56
profit is 24

Patrickd

1. A person is asked to randomly pick two balls from a bag which has 15 yeallow and 5 red balls. The probability that the person picks two balls of the same colour is
(a) 33/38
(b) 23/38
(c) 38/43
(d) 15/38

2. If the integers m and n are cosen at random between 1 and 100, then the probability that the number of the form 7^m + 7^n is divisible by 5 is
(a) 1/5
(b) 1/7
(c) 1/4
(d) 1/49

3. A and B start traveling in the same direction at 8km/hr and 13 km/hr respectively. After 4 hours, A doubled his speed abd B reduced his speed by 1 km/hr and reached the destination together. How long did the entire journey last?
(a) 3h
(b) 6h
(c) 9h
(d) 12h

shreyadas

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
CET is a speed based test. So the way you write the exam is different from the way you write CAT. In CET the questions are jumbled up, i.e. they are not divided into sections like the other exams. Therefore the approach to CET is different as compared to other exams.

Would advise you to write a couple of mock papers for CET so that you understand the pattern of the paper and analyse your strengths and weakness in the test. Give a thought to how can you do better in the next mock?

Okay, Thanks ! :tea:

Patrickd

1. A person is asked to randomly pick two balls from a bag which has 15 yeallow and 5 red balls. The probability that the person picks two balls of the same colour is
(a) 33/38
(b) 23/38
(c) 38/43
(d) 15/38

2. If the integers m and n are chosen at random between 1 and 100, then the probability that the number of the form 7^m + 7^n is divisible by 5 is
(a) 1/5
(b) 1/7
(c) 1/4
(d) 1/49

3. A and B start traveling in the same direction at 8km/hr and 13 km/hr respectively. After 4 hours, A doubled his speed abd B reduced his speed by 1 km/hr and reached the destination together. How long did the entire journey last?
(a) 3h
(b) 6h
(c) 9h
(d) 12h

Ans. 1. ‎[ C(15,2) + C(5,2) ] / C(20,2)
= 23 / 38
Ans. 2. cyclicity of powers of 7 is 4 i.e. 7,9,3,1
if m is 4k+1, favourable n would be of the form 4k+3 and vice versa
if m is 4k+2, favourable n would be of the form 4k and vice versa
so, i you choose m at random , probability that the number of the form 7^m + 7^n is divisible by 5 is dependant only on n.
for n, out of every 4 nos, 1 is favorable.
hence probability is 1/4
Ans. 3. in the 1st 4 hrs, B gains a lead of 20 kms over A
now after 4 hrs, relative speed of A wrt B is 4 kmph, so to cover 20 kms, it will take 5 hrs.
hence total time is 4+5=9 hrs.

Patrickd

1. Y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by Y is the square of an integer, then Y must be
(a) 2
(b) 5
(c) 6
(d) 6
(e) 14

2. In a weight lifting competition, the total weight of Joe's two lifts was 750 Kgs. If twice the weight of his first lift was 300 Kgs more than the weight of his second lift, what was the weight , in Kgs of his first lift?
(a) 225
(b) 275
(c) 325
(d) 350
(e) 400

3. Mary's income is 60%u0025 more than Tim's income, and Tim's income is 40% less than Juan's income. What percent of Juan's income is Mary's income?
(a) 124%
(b) 120%
(c) 96%
(d) 80%
(e) 64%

Patrickd

1. Y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by Y is the square of an integer, then Y must be
(a) 2
(b) 5
(c) 6
(d) 6
(e) 14

2. In a weight lifting competition, the total weight of Joe's two lifts was 750 Kgs. If twice the weight of his first lift was 300 Kgs more than the weight of his second lift, what was the weight , in Kgs of his first lift?
(a) 225
(b) 275
(c) 325
(d) 350
(e) 400

3. Mary's income is 60%u0025 more than Tim's income, and Tim's income is 40% less than Juan's income. What percent of Juan's income is Mary's income?
(a) 124%
(b) 120%
(c) 96%
(d) 80%
(e) 64%
Answers
1. Every square should have prime factors in multiple of 2. 3150 is not divisible by 4. So there is only one 2. So we need another 2. From options it can be 2 or 14. By dividing by 7 we get 450. So there is only one 7 and we need one more. So the answer should be 14.
2. x+y=750,2x=300+y solve it.....x=350. Ans. d
3. M=16/10 *6/10=96%

Patrickd

1. Satish used 6 litres of oil paint to paint a map of India 6m high. How many litres of paint would Santosh need for panting a proportionally scaled map of height 18 m?
(a) 54
(b) 18
(c) 30
(d) Cannot be determined

2. A tank caqn be filled in by two taps A and B in 3 min. However, due to a leakage at the bottom of the tank, it takes 3.5 min to fill the tank. If tank is full, then how much time will the leakage take to empty the tank?
(a) 21min
(b) 12min
(c) 24 min
(d) 18min

3. Two trains have respective lengths of 230 m and 190 m. They cross each other completely in 21 s if they are travelling in the opposite direction and in 42 s if they are travelling in the same direction. Find the ratio of the speeds of the two trains.
(a) 3:1
(b) 4:1
(c) 3:2
(d) None of these

Patrickd

1. Satish used 6 litres of oil paint to paint a map of India 6m high. How many litres of paint would Santosh need for panting a proportionally scaled map of height 18 m?
(a) 54
(b) 18
(c) 30
(d) Cannot be determined

2. A tank caqn be filled in by two taps A and B in 3 min. However, due to a leakage at the bottom of the tank, it takes 3.5 min to fill the tank. If tank is full, then how much time will the leakage take to empty the tank?
(a) 21min
(b) 12min
(c) 24 min
(d) 18min

3. Two trains have respective lengths of 230 m and 190 m. They cross each other completely in 21 s if they are travelling in the opposite direction and in 42 s if they are travelling in the same direction. Find the ratio of the speeds of the two trains.
(a) 3:1
(b) 4:1
(c) 3:2
(d) None of these

1. the word proportionally gives sufficient hint that length and breadth will become 3 times (map is 2-dimensional) so area will be 3x3=9 times. hence oil paint used should be 6x9=54 lts.

2. 1/x = 1/3 - 1/3.5; so, x=21mins

3. s1 + s2 = 420/21=20; s1 - s2 = 420/42=10. so, s1=15, s2=5. Required Ratio= 3:1

Patrickd

1. In an election 30% of the voters voted for candidate A whereas 60% of the remaining voted for candidate B. The remaining voters did not vote. If the difference between those who voted for candidate A and those did not vote was 12000, how many individuals were eligible for casting vote in that election?
a) 10,000 b) 45,000 c) 60,000 d) 72,000

2. Salaries of Ravi and Sumit are in the ratio 2:3. If the salary of each is increased by Rs. 4000, the ratio becomes 40:57. What is Sumits present salary?
a. Rs. 17000 b. Rs. 20000 c. Rs. 25,500 d. None of these

Patrickd

1. In an election 30% of the voters voted for candidate A whereas 60% of the remaining voted for candidate B. The remaining voters did not vote. If the difference between those who voted for candidate A and those did not vote was 12000, how many individuals were eligible for casting vote in that election?
a) 10,000 b) 45,000 c) 60,000 d) 72,000

2. Salaries of Ravi and Sumit are in the ratio 2:3. If the salary of each is increased by Rs. 4000, the ratio becomes 40:57. What is Sumits present salary?
a. Rs. 17000 b. Rs. 20000 c. Rs. 25,500 d. None of these

Answers
1. A: 30% B:60% of 70% = 42%
Remaining voters = 100-(30+42)=28%
30%-28%=2%=12000
Total eligible for casting vote=60000 (c)

2. D. 34,000

Patrickd

Six books on different subjects, viz. History, Geography, English, Hindi, Economics and Psychology, are arranged in a pile (not necessarily in the same order). Each book belongs to different persons whose names are Debasis, Harsh, Vishwas, Ravi, Sanjay and Neeta.
English book, which is kept on the top, belongs to Debasis, Psychology book, which is kept at the bottom does not belong to Sanjay or Ravi.
Economics book belongs to Harsh and is kept immediately after Hindi.
History book is immediately above Geography and immediately below Economics. Hindi book belongs to Neeta and History book belongs to Ravi.
Q. Whom does Psychology book belong to?
(a) Neeta
(b) Vishwas
(c) Harsh
(d) Cannot be determined

Patrickd

Six books on different subjects, viz. History, Geography, English, Hindi, Economics and Psychology, are arranged in a pile (not necessarily in the same order). Each book belongs to different persons whose names are Debasis, Harsh, Vishwas, Ravi, Sanjay and Neeta.
English book, which is kept on the top, belongs to Debasis, Psychology book, which is kept at the bottom does not belong to Sanjay or Ravi.
Economics book belongs to Harsh and is kept immediately after Hindi.
History book is immediately above Geography and immediately below Economics. Hindi book belongs to Neeta and History book belongs to Ravi.
Q. Whom does Psychology book belong to?
(a) Neeta
(b) Vishwas
(c) Harsh
(d) Cannot be determined
Answer
eng-deba
hindi-neeta
eco-harsh
history-ravi
geo-sanjay
psycho-vishwas

Patrickd

P, Q, R, S, T, U and V are sitting in a circle facing the centre. Following are the details of their order of sitting.
(i) S, who is second to the right hand side of R, is not to the immediate right of V
(ii) U is not between V and T
(iii) P is between R and Q
Q. Which of the following statement is wrong?
... (i) T is to the immediate left of R
(ii) Q is to the immediate left of U
(iii) U, S and T are in a sequence, one after the other
(a) only I
(b) only II
(c) only III
(d) only I and II

Q. Which of the following are the two pairs of adjacent members?
(a) VS and TR
(b) SU and PQ
(c) PR and TQ
(d) None of these

Q. What is the position of T?
(a) to the immediate left of R
(b) second to the left of P
(c) Fourth to the left of U
(d) None of these