‘Women can enter Sabarimala, if men do’

Reiterating his stand that the CPM-led LDF government in Kerala was not opposed to allowing women entry into the Sabarimala shrine, state Devaswom Minister G. Sudhakaran Monday said he was not aware of Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan's remarks on the issue.

"The CPM and the government's opinion is that we are not opposed to allowing women entry into the temple but I do not know what the Chief Minister had said," he told reporters after participating in the BSNL employees union's convention here. Achuthanandan had told reporters in Nagercoil (Tamil Nadu) that Sudhakaran's views on the issue were his own and neither the state government nor the ministry had taken any decision in this regard.

"If men can enter a temple, why not women," Sudhakaran asked and made it clear that his opinion as minister was always on "behalf" of the government and not as an individual. Not only the Sabarimala temple, women are entitled to enter any place where men are permitted, Sudhakaran said. "Women have matched men in various fields at the international level today and wherever men can gain entry, women are also supposed to," the Minister said.

POOJA23

WELL we people somewhat quickly.............start forming..........opinions..........but will never take a pain to understand..............why????????? the rule........we need to respect...certain faith.....that people have............any not force our opinins on everyone.......

well here is a story as to why??????? women are no allowed into the SABRIMALA temple

Sabarimala Ayyappa is the men-only pilgrimage and the antiquity of the deity reveals a blend of myth and history. Women between the age of nine and fifty are barred. One version goes back to the period of devas (gods) and danavas (demons), when Mount Manthara was the churning stick placed on the back of the tortoise form of Vishnu. The snake Vasuki was used as rope to churn ksheerasagara (ocean of milk) to get at amrit (nectar) that would confer immortality.

This churning resulted first in kalakootha (poison), which was promptly swallowed by the compassionate Shiva to save the universe from annihilation. His throat turned blue thus giving rise to the name Neelkantha. Then the churning yielded various assets like kamadhenu (divine cow) and the kalpavriksha tree. But when finally amrit came out, the danavas were ready for battle of possession. To distract them, Vishnu transformed himself into the irresistible enchantress Mohini, so that the devas could have all of the nectar to themselves. The danavas were beguiled and the devas got their amrit. But Shiva was equally attracted.

Out of the union of Mohini(Vishnu) and Shiva came Ayyappa, also known as Hariharaputra (Hari Vishnu, Hara-Siva, Putra-son). Siva left for his Mount kailas, leaving the baby under a tree on the banks of the river Pampa. The story moves from the heavenly characters to the childless king of Pandalam, a thriving kingdom in south Kerala. The Pandyan king Rajasekhara, out on a hunt, spotted the baby and brought it to the palace to his queen, who was overjoyed.

She, however, later bore the king a son and so resisted Ayyappa being declared heir. To get him out of the way, she sent him to fetch tiger's milk which she said was needed to cure her ailment. Ayyappa set out alone, starting at Erumeli (south-east of today's Kottayam). In the jungle, Ayyappa met Lord Indra who was harassed by the demoness Mahishi. A battle ensued and since Ayyappa was Hariharaputra, he slew Mahishi. A grateful Indra thereupon provided Ayyappa with a tigress's milk and a tiger as mount.

Whereas the conniving queen did not expect to see him back alive, the young god returned triumphant and forgave her. An abode atop Sabarimala was earmarked and that becomes the yearly destination of the likes of the black mundu clad hi-tech computer engineer of Bangalore. Pilgrims like him come from Tamil Nadu, Andhra, Karnataka and Kerala. Ayyappa at Sabarimala is celibate and the story is that after he killed the demones Mahishi, she reverted to her original form of a goddess.

Smitten by the young god Ayyappa, she proposed marriage to him, but he said he would remain a bachelor

well that's my opinion what say????????????

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Well that's quite informative pooja, however i wold like to state my personal opinion and it should be noted that this is in no way intended to hurt anyone's religios sentiments.

From the story, i can make ot that Lord Ayappa wanted to be a bachelor.... and everything is good.... They're gods... and not ordinary mortals. Their principles, values, thinking, senses are all divine. Women also consider him as a God, i.e. like a father and hence i feel that disallowing women from entering Sabrimala is purely what mortals can only think.

God himself, doesn't discard him followers, on the basis on their sex. Lord Hanuman was also a bachelor, yet men and women both worship him equally.

So, i think that this rule is created by the priests and in actual, things should be thought more rationally and beyond the rigid walls of mortal thinking.

POOJA23

WELL...........i completely respect & value u r opininon in this regard............but if u carefully understand the story...........it was a hatred for his mom..........(who asked him to fetch tiger's milk).............that caused distrust in his mind ............for women..........and hence he went on to remain a bachelor throughtout life.

well with respect to these priest they r not creating something................from their own minds..........it is something..........with i think..........has enough evidence........and reason............

:SugarwareZ-229:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
POOJA23 said:
WELL...........i completely respect & value u r opininon in this regard............but if u carefully understand the story...........it was a hatred for his mom..........(who asked him to fetch tiger's milk).............that caused distrust in his mind ............for women..........and hence he went on to remain a bachelor throughtout life.

I'm not sure if this is correct from the story u wrote......

Whereas the conniving queen did not expect to see him back alive, the young god returned triumphant and forgave her.

POOJA23

well yes.............BUT IT MAY..............HAVE FORGIVEN..............HER BUT UTELL ME THEN WHAT ACCORDING.......TO U MAY BE THE REASON...........FOR HIS BRACING..........BACHELORHODD..........OBVIOUSLY BECOZ OF HIS BITTER EXPERIENCE

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
The obvious fact of the matter is when Television has no news, they start bringing up issues which are nowhere important.

The media can hype a issue as small as prince in the pothole and prime minister praying for him. There are thousands which die a death much worse and there is no military personnel to protect him.

Whom to allow and whom not to allow is entirely a choice that the trust which owns the temple has to make.

Its as good as not allowing those people which you dont feel like, in your own home.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
POOJA23 said:
well yes.............BUT IT MAY..............HAVE FORGIVEN..............HER BUT UTELL ME THEN WHAT ACCORDING.......TO U MAY BE THE REASON...........FOR HIS BRACING..........BACHELORHODD..........OBVIOUSLY BECOZ OF HIS BITTER EXPERIENCE
yaar me and lord ayappa were not langotia yaars.. mujhe kya pata why he wanted a celibate life??

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
kartik said:
Whom to allow and whom not to allow is entirely a choice that the trust which owns the temple has to make.

Its as good as not allowing those people which you dont feel like, in your own home.

i dun think that would be correct to say. Trust doesnt own the temple. It only manages it.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
i dun think that would be correct to say. Trust doesnt own the temple. It only manages it.

And the management has the right to decide what is best for them.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
kartik said:
And the management has the right to decide what is best for them.
that's what they're doing (managing ... and not owning)

but the question , at large here, is, is their decision correct? Anyway, my views were my own. i dun think debate on this topic is possible.

jaywant007

It is a matter of Tradition....and culture....We must not question ones religious beliefs or argue on it...if such thing is to be allowed then we can also allow females Muslims in the Mosques...which is prohibited...Also we must allow females in the Swami Narayan Temple.....See this is matter of ones belief...hence we must continue it without any controvosy.....and ppl who disobey or disrespect it must be punished severly...

vinu191

Banned
lets not oppose rule just to show we are modern.
if sabarimala in kerala has 'only mens' rule ,der is also a place in kerala where only women are allowed--attukal bhagawati kshetram in thiruvananthupuram(kerala)known as womens sabarimala.
bye
:SugarwareZ-191:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
lets not oppose rule just to show we are modern.
if sabarimala in kerala has 'only mens' rule ,der is also a place in kerala where only women are allowed--attukal bhagawati kshetram in thiruvananthupuram(kerala)known as womens sabarimala.
bye
:SugarwareZ-191:
The woman's sabrimala was opened only after the main sabrimala temple imposed this restriction. As far as i know, Gods know no restriction on their devotee on the basis of gender. Hence, acc. to me, its plain hypocracy to restrict women. If we start keeping such bais on the basis of gender, caste, colour, religion, how will the gaps hence created, be lessened.