Pepsi, Coke contains pesticides

Pepsi, Coke contain pesticides

Pepsi, Coke contain pesticides: CSE

August 05, 2003 15:14 IST
Last Updated: August 05, 2003 17:02 IST

Close on the heels of a major health scare on finding pesticides in bottled drinking water, a non-government organisation on Tuesday claimed that the bottled soft drinks owned by two multi national companies -- PepsiCo and Coke -- also failed the same health standards testing positive for pesticides.
"12 major cold drink brands sold in Delhi and around contain a deadly cocktail of pesticide residues," Centre for Science and Environment said in New Delhi.
Officials of both PepsiCo and Coke declined to comment on the tests saying the two companies will be holding a joint press conference later.
According to the tests conducted by the Pollution Monitoring Laboratory of CSE, all samples contained residues of four extremely toxic pesticides and insecticides: lindane, DDT, malathion and chlorpyrifos.
The PML team involved in the tests was Dr H B Mathur, Dr Sapna Johnson and Avinash Kumar.
Three samples each of the 12 brands purchased from markets across the city, analysed in April-August and found to contain pesticides residues are Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Diet Pepsi, Mirinda orange, Mirinda Lemon, Blue Pepsi, 7-Up, Coca Cola, Fanta, Limca, Sprite and Thumbs Up.
Mathur said these pesticides included potent carcinogens which can cause cancers and reduce bone mineral density.
Johnson said the basic inference drawn from the tests is that groundwater used for making soft drinks is infested with pesticides. She said PML tested the cold drink samples for 16 organochlorine pesticides, 12 organophosphorous and four synthetic pyrethroids -- all of which are commonly used in India as insecticides.
CSE chief Sunita Narain said in all the samples, levels of pesticide residues far exceeded the maximum residue limit for pesticides in water used as "food", set down by the European Economic Commission.
Both Pepsi and Coca Cola had almost similar concentrations of pesticide residues.
In all PepsiCo brands, total pesticides on an average were 0.0180 mg/litre, 36 times higher than the EEC limit of total pesticides at 0.0005 mg/l.
In Coca Cola brands they averaged at 0.0150 mg/l, 30 times higher than the EEC limit.
Mirinda Lemon topped the chart among all the tested brand samples with a total pesticide concentration of 0.0352 mg/l.
Coca Cola and PepsiCo brands sold in the United States were also tested and found not to contain pesticides.
Narain, however, said in India, these companies cannot be taken to court since the norms that regulate manufacturing of cold drinks here are a "meaningless maze."

Source : [SIZE=-1]www.rediff.com/money/2003/aug/05pepsicoke.htm[/SIZE]

=========================================================

August 05, 2006

Coke and Pepsi told to spill secrets or face ban
From Ashling O'Connor in Bombay
INDIA’S highest court yesterday demanded that Coca-Cola should reveal its secret formula for the first time in 120 years.

The Supreme Court ordered the US soft drinks maker, along with its rival PepsiCo, to supply details of the chemical composition and ingredients of their products after a study released this week claimed that they contained unacceptable levels of insecticides.

Justice S. B. Sinha and Justice Dalveer Bhandari directed the companies to file their replies within four weeks, the Press Trust of India reported. “If they don’t comply, then the court has the authority to suspend sales,” Shreyas Patel, a lawyer at Fox Mandal Little, India’s oldest law firm, said. “But no one is going to give away a 120-year-old secret, especially in a country like India. Someone would go and make it themselves.”

Coca-Cola’s original recipe, according to company policy, is kept in a bank vault in Atlanta where only two executives — banned from travelling on the same aircraft — know it.

The court order followed the release of a report by the Centre for Science and Environment, a non-government body, which contended that 11 brands sold by the two soft drinks makers contained high levels of pesticide residues. The organisation said that samples from 12 states showed that Pepsi products contained 30 times more pesticides than in 2003, when a similar study was conducted. Coke samples had 25 times the amount of pesticides as three years ago.

The report, published on Wednesday, caused a row in India’s lower house, where MPs from across the political spectrum brandished its findings as reason enough to ban the sale of Coca-Cola and Pepsi. “These companies are playing with the lives of millions and we can’t ignore such warnings any more,” said Vijay Kumar Malhotra, from the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party, which staged a walkout over the issue .

It is not the first time Coca-Cola and Pepsi have found themselves mired in controversy in India. They are regular whipping boys for politicians who regard Western food products as a threat to Indian heritage, although sceptics suggest that their opposition has more to do with the companies’ virtual monopoly of the market than genuinely held feelings of cultural protectionism.

The US companies joined forces through the Indian Soft Drink Manufacturers’ Association to reject the findings of the study. “Consumer safety is paramount to us,” they said. “The soft drinks manufactured in India comply with stringent international norms and all applicable national regulations.”

The Bureau of Indian Standards, the highest government body to maintain product quality certification, has set a pesticide standard for bottled water but not for soft drinks.

In 2003, at the time of the last report, pesticide claims provoked a backlash. Schools banned colas, and fruit juice sales boomed as yoga gurus reminded people of the value of healthy drinking. Coca-Cola’s sales dropped by as much as 11 per cent in the subsequent financial quarter.

Source : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2299363,00.html

========================================================

Just check out the dates... For 3 yrs they dont do anything and then suddenly wake up from the grave...

I smell something spooky... DO you ??

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Re: Pepsi, Coke contain pesticides

i guess the bribe given was only good for 3 yrs... :big_grin:

Phir jebe bharenge aur phir sab chupp ho jayenge... the world would go on...

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Re: Pepsi, Coke contain pesticides

My point Ditto ... This is what you can " Gade murde uthadna " .... lol

Something like " Digging up your dead great grandmother "

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
United colas of India

Exactly as they did the last time round three years ago, the cola companies have refused to accept the findings of the Centre for Science and Environment’s (CSE’s) tests of 57 soft drink samples (of 11 soft drink brands), which show that they continue to have unacceptably high levels of pesticide residues, in some cases over 30 times the standards that the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) arrived at following the original cola controversy—standards that were never notified. While the stand taken by the cola companies is along expected lines, the real culprit in the story is not the companies (guilty enough though they may be), but a government that continues to play ducks and drakes with public health. After the first CSE report was discussed by a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC), it was found that there were no specific product safety standards for colas, so the BIS was asked to examine the issue and come up with such standards. It is not important to go into the stalling tactics that the CSE alleges took place to delay the setting of such standards, which necessitated a whole series to tests to see (for instance) if the pesticide residues came from the sugar used in the soft drinks—the tests showed sugar was not the culprit, according to the CSE. But what is important is that by March this year, the BIS finalised the standards. Yet, for whatever reason, the standards simply did not get notified—indeed, when the CSE alleges the pesticide levels are higher than the BIS standards, what it means is the finalised-but-not-notified BIS standards.

What is worse, and this applies not just to soft drinks but to all foodstuffs, is that Parliament has just passed the Food Safety and Standards Bill, which further dilutes any action that can possibly be contemplated against companies whose products violate health standards, as and when they are fixed. The food safety legislation does this through a curious overlapping of definitions of “residues”, “contaminants”, “extraneous matter”, and “sub-standard food”. So, if there is something in the food/drink that is potentially unsafe, like the pesticide residues that the CSE’s tests say were found in the cold drinks they tested, what will decide the action to be taken is whether the pesticide residue is a “contaminant”, whether it is “extraneous”, or “sub-standard”. If it is “extraneous”, the Section that describes “extraneous” says the food is not unsafe to consume; yet the definition of “unsafe” food describes this as food that contains “extraneous” matter!

The Bill is so full of such contradictions that it makes it near-impossible to ever take action against a company whose products are found to be unsafe/unhealthy. So, even if the BIS does notify the standards that the CSE alleges it has not done owing to political pressure, the food companies will always be able to argue their way around the problem by using the contradictory definitions in the food safety legislation. What is even more galling is that the same food companies immediately withdraw batches of water/drinks in other countries when the authorities there suspect a problem —in India, the presence of such reports doesn’t spur the industry to do anything except increase its spending on film stars who rubbish test reports.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Cola war in Junglistan

The teashop at Junglistan's main junction was busy. They were all there. Tigers, elephants, porcupines, wolves, cows, buffalos, goats, monkeys, antelopes, alligators, crocodiles, cobras, vipers, pythons, sparrows, parrots, crows, mynas, parrots, kites, all of them. They had assembled there for their morning cup of tea and a piece of vada before they go to work. That's their daily routine, reading the Jungle Times over a cup of hot chai made by Ittooppu, the goat who owned the shop. His tea is famous, he brings it from the hills of Munnar.

Kesu, the monkey, was reading the newspaper aloud, for everybody's benefit. Or else there would be a fight for the only newspaper at the shop. The perils of literacy, one might say -- everyone in Junglistan could read and write.

"Junglistan Chief Minister Tortoise Kunhiraman has announced a ban on the sale and production of Choke and Pesti, citing reports of pesticide in the soft drinks. The ban will be implemented immediately, effective today. Shops selling existing stocks will be sealed and vendors will be made to drink the poisonous Choke and Pesti, in accordance with the law of the jungle."

As Kesu finished reading the news story, Thathamma, the parrot, flew in. She was late.

She was not in a hurry, she had nowhere to go. The Pesti plant, where she worked, had closed down.

"I don't know what to do? I didn't expect this from the Tortoise," she said, as she took her position on the perch by the fire. "Ittooppu, give me a strong tea. I will give you the money when I get a new job."

"Is the Tortoise going to ban everything that is bad for health. He should give us a list of what to eat and what not to eat. Think of it, I was drinking Choke all this while," Ganapati butted in. The elephant was very careful on matters of food. He wants the best of coconuts and palm leaves, and eats them all through the day. Add to that a little jaggery, and his day is made. But he couldn't believe Choke would deceive him. He was one of the biggest consumers of the soft drink, which actually turned out to be a hard drink.

"Consumer is King, those guys used to say. I even got the Consumer King Award once." Ganapati was disappointed with his multinational friends. "And you never told us about this," he said accusingly, turning to Thathamma.
"Psssssst," Nagraj burst out laughing. "If the Tortoise were to ban all unhealthy food, you would starve to death."

"Yes. Did you watch the debate on the television yesterday," asked the crow. He always wanted to be a journalist, but couldn't become one. Now he spends his time reading newspapers and watching TV, only news channels, mind you. Not for him the FTV and Saas-Bahu serials. "Milk has pesticides, so do palm leaves, and coconuts, and leaves, and grass, and fruits, and vegetables. What will you eat then, Ganapati?"

"That is bullshit," said Nandini, the cow. Her husband, who was sitting nearby, wasn't amused a single bit. "My milk is safe. Always. I never drank pesticide. Not even Choke or Pesti. You all know that. Ask Ittooppu, he makes tea with my milk. Don't you," Nandini turned to the goat for his approval. He nodded readily.

"But I always drank Pesti and ate grass from the riverside, where their factory is located. My body is full of pesticides now, enough to kill a lion. My doctor told me so," said Chameli, the Antelope. Her eyes were on the Tiger and the Lion. This should be enough to keep them off my back for some time, she thought.
Comrade Choodan, the cheetah, one of the last of his species, didn't like the conversation. He was a true Communist, like the Tortoise. "These multinational imperialists are ruining our jungle. They are stealing our water, adding sugar and selling their colas at such high prices. And you are falling for it. I would not allow it," he roared.

"Who are you to decide what we should drink? This is a democracy. And we can't stand this nonsense. Our children love Pesti. And tell me, will the CM ban cigarettes and alcohol too," shouted somebody from the back.

As they debated the vices of colas, a procession came their way. It was led by Kudiyan Paramu, the jungle's biggest drunkard. Paramu was a distant relative of Kesu. One could never see him on four legs. He was always on two legs. This time he was surprisingly walking as monkeys are supposed to.

"Tortoise murdabad," he said raising his fist. "Tortoise murdabad" his followers repeated. Among them was the jungle's leading bar owner Wine Babu.

They were going to the Tortoise's house. They wanted their CM to revoke the ban on colas. They wanted Choke back then and there. Because rum doesn't taste the same without Choke and Pesti.

kartik

Kartik Raichura
Staff member
Re: Cola war in Junglistan

Lol.. COMEON .. i mean nice story and all.. but it advocates in favour of pepsi and coke.. I mean how dumb can this get.. first cadburys and worms.. then coke and pesti ... if multinationals think they can pour in garbage and sell it down the indians throat.. then we ought to teach them a lesson.

And newayz, we have a good health drink... amul doodh and nariyal pani ;)

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Re: Cola war in Junglistan

kartik said:
Lol.. COMEON .. i mean nice story and all.. but it advocates in favour of pepsi and coke.. I mean how dumb can this get.. first cadburys and worms.. then coke and pesti ... if multinationals think they can pour in garbage and sell it down the indians throat.. then we ought to teach them a lesson.

And newayz, we have a good health drink... amul doodh and nariyal pani ;)
u r right....... but what it also tells is that even tobacco and ciggy are injurious to health and the govt should treat them in the same manner. The govt. can easily come in lime light by canning soft drinks, but what about the other injurious products from which it earns?

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Kochi: Pepsi and Coke, in separate petitions before the Kerala High Court, on Friday challenged the ban imposed by the state government on aerated drinks.
Admitting the petitions, the court posted the matter for hearing on Monday.
The New Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), an independent agency, said that its test showed very high quantities of pesticides in samples of 12 brands of soft drinks.
Following the report, a number of states imposed limited restrictions on the sales of aerated drinks.
The Kerala cabinet on August 9 decided to ban the manufacture and sales of the soft drinks in the state. The decision came into effect the next day.
In their petitions, the cola giants have pointed out that their products were safe and no scientific studies had shown any harmful contents.
The petitions stated that their products were being sold in other parts of the country, apart from several other countries. They also claimed that the state government had no right to ban these products.
Both Pepsi and Coke have bottling plants in Palakkad district.

source : IBNLIVE

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Re: Pepsi, Coke challenge Kerala Govt ban

Filing the petitions is just another way of delaying the matter. Wat the govt needs is a hardcore action against them, so that they take care of the quality of the product.

Last edited:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal

Pepsi ready to steer clear of schools

spacer.gif
PepsiCo will file a petition in the Kerala High Court on Friday challenging the Kerala government's August 11 order banning the sale of some of its products in the state.

"It is unfair to ban the sale of our products on the basis of findings of a non-governmental organisation. We are challenging the ban," PepsiCo Chairman Rajeev Bakshi, said.

He said Pepsi's products were "absolutely safe" and dubbed the findings of the Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), which had claimed presence of pesticide residues above permissible limits in Pepsi and Coca Cola soft drinks, as wrong.

Bakshi said he was prepared to subject his products to all sorts of tests to prove that they were absolutely safe.

With the standards for carbonated soft drinks yet to be developed, the company was prepared to subject itself to checks for residue levels in each of the input, which went into the soft drink, he said.

"We are open to work with the CSE or any other interested parties to establish stricter science based standards on the finished products of the soft drinks sector, which is not available in the world so far", he said.

Asked whether PepsiCo would challenge the findings of CSE in a court, he said "time is not appropriate for this now. Our first priority is consumer safety," he said.

PepsiCo had no objection for banning the sale of its soft drinks in primary schools.

"In fact, we do not encourage the sale of our products at primary schools. We do not even employ child artistes below 12 years for our advertisement campaign," he said.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal

PepsiCo had no objection for banning the sale of its soft drinks in primary schools.

"In fact, we do not encourage the sale of our products at primary schools. We do not even employ child artistes below 12 years for our advertisement campaign," he said.
lolz... this statement clearly shows that such soft drinks are clearly very bad for health, esp for children.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
The foreign hand, it would appear, is stealthily at work again. in fact it crops up periodically, and each time we have to engage in strenuous struggles to free ourselves. three decades ago George Fernandes rode into battle and demolished IBM and coca-cola.

Today we are manning the barricades once again the spirit of 77 was reincarnated when new delhi's centre for science and environment released a report showing up a "cocktail" of pesticides in coca-cola and pepsi.

The report kicked up a political furore, and revulsion was keenest in kerala and west bengal which as leftist states are frontrunners in the battle against imperialism, not to mention cocktails, whether served by liveried waiters or at
the local paanwala.

But the bjp hasn't been far behind either in organising agitations against coke. comrade VS Achuthanandan's government has gone the furthest, clamping a complete ban on the production and distribution of aerated beverages made by Coca-Cola and Pepsi Co.

Never mind that they haven't broken any government rules; never mind that if one compares taking a swig of coke to drinking milk or tea, or consuming an average egg or vegetable bought from the market, coke is by far the safest in terms of pesticides imbibed.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism, of course. And if foreign investors should be deterred from entering the country, returning us to the hindu rate of growth, there's nothing like that bracing feeling that comes from having purged unwanted foreign elements from our system.

We must envisage a public-private partnership, say between cse and the kerala government, to produce swadeshi colas and aerated beverages attractively packaged in saffron and green that the masses can safely consume.

CSE could lend its expertise to verify that any pesticides or other contaminants found in the beverages are 100 per cent indigenously produced. The only remaining problem is a compelling brand name.

One could on the lines of "george cola" that was launched soon after george fernandes's revolution inside a cola cup label the new product "Achuthanandan Cola". but that might be too much of a mouthful. how about simply achhut cola?

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are fighting to keep consumers from giving up drinking their colas after charges that the drinks contain excessive amounts of harmful chemicals surfaced earlier this month. But a study by a consumer body has revealed the extent to which fertilisers and pesticides, intensely used on Indian farms, has crept into the local food chain.

Common edibles such as rice, tea, milk, eggs, fruits and meat in India are permitted to contain up to 34,000 times the pesticide found in colas, the Centre for Sanity and Balance in Public Life, or CSBPL, a Gurgaon-based non governmental organisation, has shown. New Delhi NGO Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) had on August 2 accused Coca-Cola and PepsiCo of having more-than-permissible levels of chemicals in their soft drinks.

Based on permissible limits of pesticides and other chemicals in common foods under the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act (PFA) Rules of 1955, CSBPL has found that the pesticide levels in colas are low compared to other foods—rice, milk, tea, eggs, meat and cereals—in a common Indian diet.

The PFA Rules allow up to 3,280 parts per billion (ppb) of pesticides in milk and milk products, the permitted quantities of such chemicals in eggs, meat, tea, fruits and rice are much higher—ranging from 5,780 ppb to 17,090 ppb. In other words, it isn’t illegal in India for a cup of tea (100 ml) to have 14,020 ppb—equivalent to 14 milligrams a kg—of pesticides in it.

Colas, for which a proposal to cap pesticides and other chemicals at 0.5 ppb is pending with the Union government, are much cleaner in comparison. Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are contesting CSE’s finding that pesticides and other chemicals stood at 12 ppb.

Comparing the chemicals content of common foods with colas, CSBPL executive director Kishore Asthana said pesticides found in a breakfast egg in India could be more than the harmful chemicals found in over 3,850 300ml-bottles of the soft drink. If that sounds astounding, listen to this: a handful of uncooked rice (300 gm) contains pesticides to be found in over 34,000 bottles of cola.

“Colas do have pesticides, which is a fact CSE never tires of repeating. However, the quantum is so low compared to other things that we consume, that the pesticides in colas can be ignored, even assuming that CSE figures are correct,” Asthana said in an email to FE, adding neither he nor his organisation had any financial dealings with Coca Cola or PepsiCo.

Agriculture experts have blamed the intense use of fertilisers and pesticides in farming for the high presence of such chemicals, with potential carcinogenic consequences, in common foods.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Colas not unsafe to drink: Govt

CSE Alleges Health Ministry Batting For Soft Drink Giants

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: The government on Tuesday gave a clean chit to beleaguered soft drink giants Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Health minister Anbumani Ramadoss told Parliament that an expert committee, set up by his ministry, found no evidence of high levels of pesticides in carbonated drinks as alleged by NGO Centre for Science and Environment.

The minister said the committee — headed by additional DG, health services, D Kanungo — has held that presence of pesticides like Malathion, Heptachlor and Chlorpyrifos residue in colas was doubtful. It also felt many crucial details needed to confirm the presence of high levels of pesticides were not submitted by CSE to the ministry, thereby “making it inadequate to reach a conclusion.”

Ramadoss added that the government itself has collected 213 samples for testing and the reports from Gujarat and Central Food Laboratory, Mysore, have shown ‘‘that pesticide levels are below the statutory limits.’’ These ‘‘statutory limits’’ relate to bottled water for which there are standards. The minister promised that standards for aerated water would be set by January 2007.

Reacting sharply to Ramadoss’ statement, CSE accused him of ‘‘batting for the cola companies’’. CSE director Sunita Narain said the minister had used the arguments forwarded by these companies; indeed, even the very phrases used by them. The upshot of this was that public health was being sacrificed, she said.

Feeling vindicated and now hopeful that the decline in their sales will be arrested, the cola companies said they were ‘‘always confident of the safety of our products’’. They added that they were looking forward to working with CSE to establish scientific standards for carbonated drinks as that would help avoid such controversies in future.

According to the government expert committee, the methodology followed by CSE to determine pesticide levels in colas was faulty as it did not provide the quantity and volume of bottles collected from the market for analysis and limits of detection of individual pesticides following the specified tests, “leaving everything to speculation”.

According to requirements, for analysing a sample for pesticides, at least three
litre of each sample is required for proper extraction and clean-up.

Again, for reaching a convincing conclusion, there is a need for multiple testing centres to endorse the findings simultaneously, which was not followed by CSE.

“Scientific validation requires collaborative work participated by various labs. The CSE report does not mention whether this validation was carried out or not,” the committee said.

DOC’S THUMBS UP

No conclusive evidence of different pesticides as reported by CSE

CSE report does not mention whether findings validated by several labs

Its sampling methodology doesn’t have scientific and statistically valid basis

Quantity and volume of colas collected from market not mentioned

getimage.dll

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal

No clean chit to cola giants: Ramadoss

Union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss on Wednesday night said he has not given any clean chit to the soft drink companies on the pesticide issue and threatened to file a defamation case about "colluding" with the soft drink manufacturers.

"I am going to file a defamation case on allegations that the Health Minister and the Ministry colluding with the soft drink manufacturers," he said following reports that he has given a clean chit to the soft drink companies.

Asserting that he has not given any clean chit, Ramadoss said that he only said that the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) report was neither right nor wrong. "It is inconclusive and we needed more details about the report", he said.

Recalling his statement in Parliament, Ramadoss said that notwithstanding the CSE's report, his Ministry has lifted about 214 samples throughout the country and were being tested in Central laboratories.

He said his ministry has invited CSE Director Sunita Narain and her group of experts to the Health Ministry for a threadbare discussion with experts in the ministry.

Ramadoss said that 500 more samples of soft drinks would be lifted from different parts of the country for testing.

An expert committee of the Ministry said on Tuesday not only did the sampling lack scientific and statistically valid results, the CSE report also did not provide details required for the confirmatory interpretation of quantum results.

Meanwhile, Karnataka Minister for Health, R Ashok, said in Bangalore that the state government was studying whether colas contain pesticide residues.

"Already it is confirmed that pesticides have been found by labs in Gujarat and Kerala. But I am surprised that in India, labs have different opinions.... In Karnataka, we have taken a decision to confirm (whether colas contain pesticide residues)," he said.

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Pesticide Percentage (%)

Pesticide Percentage (%) in cool drinks released from IMA recently.

1 Thums up 15.2%
2 Coke 13.4%
3 7 up 12.5%
4 Mirinda 10.7%
5 Pepsi 10.9%
6 Fanta 9.1%

vengabeats

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Kerala takes cola wars to next level, to move SC

New Delhi: Kerala's Left Democratic Front government will approach the Supreme Court against the High Court order quashing the ban on production and sale of Coca-Cola and Pepsi in the state, Law minister M Vijayakumar said on Saturday.
Terming the High Court verdict as "mysterious", Vijayakumar said State Government had banned the soft drinks under rule 7(1) of the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act.

On Friday, a Division Bench of the Kerala High Court quashed the state government orders banning the manufacture and sale of the colas, saying that the Government had no power to pass such orders under the provisions of the Prevention of Food
Adulteration Act.

Vijayakumar said the state government took decision as per law and there was no "failure on its part in arguing the case effectively in the High Court.

The Bench comprising the Chief Justice, V K Bali, and Justice M Ramachandran, quashed the orders while allowing the writ petitions filed by the Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Private Ltd and PepsiCo India Holdings Private Ltd challenging the ban orders.

The judge said the report, from the Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment could not be the basis for the ban.

The judges found merit in the companies’ arguments that the government had not independently verified the quality of the products before imposing the ban, that it had merely relied on an NGO.

“The order of Kerala government was based on the CSE report which the High Court does not rely upon,” Bali said.
Late last month, Union Health Ministry had attacked the CSE’s claims, arguing the body did not provide “conclusive evidence” to back up its allegations.

However, a number of states refused to lift their bans on Coke and Pepsi products.

In the aftermath of the report, seven states brought in at least partial bans with Kerala the only state to impose an outright ban.
Since the CSE report was published, Coke and Pepsi have insisted their products were safe to drink. Pepsi embarked on an ad campaign to convince Indian consumers of the safety of its products.

Pepsi even reportedly aired a TV ad featuring the head of its local operations defending its products.

Source : IBN

pratik_mehta7

Pratik Mehta
hey man...there are 2 cases emerging out of the given situations...that is if the MNC's deny any allegations then they can tamed under "Duplication of the products"....that is if the company denies that products dont have any pesties....but the tested samples contain some...still companies can be sued...on the grounds of not maintaining the Moral Code...which any MNC is needed to do......and the other one is directly sue them for pesties.....

atulbhasin

Last week a little boy died in Brazil after eating MENTOS and drinking Coka-Cola together.

One year before the same accident happened with another boy in Brazil ...

Please check the experiment that has been done by mixing Coka-Cola (or Coka-Cola light are the same) with MENTOS

So be careful with your self