Go Back   ManagementParadise.com | Management & Business Education Learning Platform Mirror View - Ebooks Links & Miscellenous Reading Material > Articles !!

NiCk Da Posts..!!

Discuss NiCk Da Posts..!! within the Articles !! forums, part of the Mirror View - Ebooks Links & Miscellenous Reading Material category; "Cutting Edge" or "Competitive Edge" are buzzwords of today's business. However , it is the performance which provides these two ...

Your Performing Edge: Top 10 Tips !!
Old
nick18_in
nick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to behold

Student of MBA at Thakur Institute of Management Studies
Mumbai, Maharashtra
Management Paradise Member

Your Performing Edge: Top 10 Tips !! - April 8th, 2006

"Cutting Edge" or "Competitive Edge" are buzzwords of today's business. However , it is the performance which provides these two edges.So , let us have a look on this aspect, PERFORMANCE EDGE through an article, which I am giving below.It is taken from the book " Your Performance Edge" written by JoAnn Dahlkoetter.

Power Imagery:
Visualization is not something you do only in the quiet of your bedroom. Use your mental images throughout the workout to create feelings of speed and power. (e.g., When you come to an unexpected hill visualize a magnet pulling you effortlessly to the top).

Positive Attitude:
Use everything in the workout to your advantage. For example, if another athlete passes you, tuck in behind and go with his or her energy for as long as possible. You may catch a “second wind” and be carried on to a new personal record.

Mindfulness:
Practice being in the present moment. Remind yourself to stay in the here and now. Let past and future events fade into the background.

Short-term Goals:
Focus on your immediate target. Break your training down into small, manageable pieces and begin to focus only on the first portion, not the entire workout (e.g., Say to yourself: “I’m just relaxing and getting my rhythm during the first mile”).

Association:
Pay close attention to your tension level and training form. Do a body scan while working out and relax your tight muscles frequently. Ask yourself: “Are my shoulders and neck relaxed; how does this pace feel; how much energy is left in my legs?”

Pain Manangement:
If you have “good pain” that is not seriously damaging your body, just shift attention to your breathing or cadence of movement, and let the discomfort fade into the background. You can also use the pain as feedback. Register it not as pain but as effort level. Say: “Now I know exactly how hard I’m working. I know how this pace feels. My body is doing what it should be doing.”

Process Not Outcome:
Look only at what you need to do right now (e.g., pace, breathing, concentration); your final time, place, or score will take care of itself.

Focused Attention:
Be aware of distractions. Breathe out unwanted thoughts with your next exhale and re-focus your attention instantly on what is important.

Affirmations:
Make positive self-statements continually. Negative thinking is quite common; everyone has an inner critic. Become aware of these thoughts early on. Don’t fight with them; simply acknowledge their presence, and then substitute a positive affirmation. (e.g., When you’re thinking: “This hurts too much, I want to lie down and die”; say to yourself: “This feeling is connected with going faster and doing my absolute best”).

Enjoyment:
Celebrate your fitness and strength. When the competition arrives, let your body do what you’ve trained it to do. Remember that your goals are realistic. All you need to do is perform up to your capabilities.

Advertisements

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Consultant -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
Friends: (1)
HOW TO GET MORE FROM LIFE EACH DAY !!
Old
nick18_in
nick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to beholdnick18_in is a splendid one to behold

Mumbai, Maharashtra

HOW TO GET MORE FROM LIFE EACH DAY !! - April 8th, 2006

Given below is an article on "HOW TO GET MORE FROM LIFE EACH DAY" by Craig Lock.

* Focus on one day at a time.

* Live the moment.

* Forget yesterday and look forward to tomorrow. If you are guilty about
what happened yesterday, or are anxious about what might happen
tomorrow, your energy will be dissipated.

* Plan your work, then work your plan.

* What good and bad habits have you developed? Reinforce the good daily
patterns and break the bad.

* Be an "early bird".

Habits start as consciously made decisions, eg.. what time to get up.
Once established, good habits become second nature.

Success is the result of habit. It depends not so much on doing the
unusual, but on doing the commonplace unusually well.

DON'T PROCRASTINATE - DO IT NOW
Don't confuse being busy with working efficiently - activities can be
tension-relieving, not goal achieving. By concentrating on fewer,
priorities regularly on a fixed schedule, you can achieve a lot more in
less time.

IS TIME THE PROBLEM OR ARE YOU?
Draw up a daily "to do" list. Rank priority tasks (the important few),
as well as the trivial many. This allows you to focus on fewer things
and achieve more. Sort into A, B & C's

A's are important and urgent. Must do today.
B's are important and not urgent. Want to do today. C's are not important. Today, if possible or delegate.
TIME MANAGEMENT TIPS:
1. LIST YOUR GOALS AND SET PRIORITIES: * Life Goals
* Work Goals
* Identify Short Term A's.

2. MAKE A DAILY "TO DO" LIST
* Set A B C's
* Don't schedule every minute of the day.

3. Start with A's - NOT WITH C's
A's are 80% of everything. Make inroads into A's every chance you get. Use the 'Swiss Cheese' approach, ie. Identify small tasks that will poke
a hole in a big one. Do these in your odd moments. Do anything that moves A along.

4. ASK YOURSELF: WHAT IS THE BEST USE OF MY TIME RIGHT NOW?
Why waste time on C's if you've an A to do? Fight habits and just filling in time.
5. HANDLE EACH PIECE OF PAPER ONLY ONCE
Have a C drawer
6. DO IT NOW!
Decide you can do it right away. Itemise (write it down) Categorise
Prioritise
Crystallise

SOME COMMON TIME WASTERS
1. Telephone Interruptions 2. Drop-in Visitors
3. Meetings
4. Crisis Management 5. Lack of Objectives, Priorities a Daily plan 6. Cluttered Desk, Personal Disorganisation. 7. Ineffective Delegation 8. Attempting too Much at Once 9. Lack of Clear Communication 10. Inadequate, Inaccurate Delayed Information 11. Indecision and Procrastination 12. Confused Responsibility and Authority. 13. Inability to Say "No". 14. Leaving Tasks Unfinished 15. Lack of Self-Discipline

MORE COMMON TIME WASTERS (IN RANK)
1. Planning (lack of). 2. Priorities (lack of) 3. Telephone interruptions 4. Disorganisation/cluttered desk 5. Procrastination 6. Visitors 7. Lack of Self Discipline 8. Ineffective delegation 9. Attempting too much 10. Inability to say 'No'
TIME TIPS FOR THE BUSY
Get the news only once a day - in only one form - read the paper or
watch television or listen to the radio, but vary the form so you don't
get the news through one bias. Don't worry about or spend time on
things irrelevant to you, eg.. reading every bit of the newspaper.
Unless it is crucial for your business, the news is not only depressing
(don't worry about it, unless you can do something about it), but it
gives a distorted picture of life.
If you can't sleep, don't waste time lying in bed. Get up and do
something.
Use an answer phone. Walk out of a poor movie or show. You've already wasted the money -
so don't waste the time as well.
Plan your leisure. Don't expect your free time to fall into place by
itself. Plan your weekends as carefully as you plan your weeks...and
it's OK to do nothing.

PLANNING is the key. Make a conscious decision to plan more. Most
people's lives are too busy to think clearly about what they really want
out of life, yet I believe we can do our "best" thinking whilst relaxing
(like when walking or jogging)

Trust your instincts and BELIEVE in YOURSELF If you have the will, you Do have the Power to change any aspect of
your life...so,

WHEN YOU TAKE CONTROL OF TIME, YOU TAKE CONTROL OVER YOUR LIFE.

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
Top Ten Ways to Generate Brilliant Ideas !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

Top Ten Ways to Generate Brilliant Ideas !! - April 8th, 2006

Here you will find ten of the best methods I have used in my organisation for idea generation. They have worked for me very well. I now share them with you. I trust they will assist you in your endeavours as they have done with mine.

1) DEFINE THE PROBLEM
To generate ideas to solve business problems we all need a starting point. You will not be able to fly from New York to Frankfurt, Germany until you first arrive at JFK. If you don't exactly know where you are you will need a map to pinpoint your current location and then gradually work your way to JFK airport.

It is imperative that you establish where you are before looking to progress. In other words study the map that will take you to New York thoroughly.
2) BRAINSTORMING
You have quite probably heard of this brilliant method. Simply, when a group of people get together and simply write down as much as you can in relation to the objectives outlined. Don't worry about about strategic planning or anything like that. Concentrate solely on idea generation. Place a time limit on the group and choose the location and the time well so that they are conducive to performance.

Make sure that everybody is at their peak and has been instructed to "Think Big". I have been able to move mountains after a very healthy brainstorming session.
3) FOCUS ENTIRELY ON WHAT YOU WANT
To give your ideas the best chance to sprout for your business solutions you are going to need to switch off to outside influences. Tolerate nothing! Eradicate the distractions, the daily frustrations and predictable dramas of your life once and for all!

Don't just fix the problem, re-design your routine so the predictable irritations can't ever bother you again!
4) HAVE A GENUINE INTEREST IN WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SOLVE
Do you remember your schooling days when you participated in sports (or particular class subjects) that you absolutely detested; as back then, they were compulsory? Do you remember how good you were at these activities? Probably not as it doesn't present itself as a good memory. But it's probably safe to say that you didn't perform well.

It's very very difficult to perform magnificently at something you're not overly fond of. If you have a vested interest in what it is you're trying to do, the likelihod of success is multiplied substantially. If you are trying to solve something that bores you to tears for heavens sake give it to someone who really likes it. This concept encompasses teamwork which is another subject altogether. If you are self-employed you will have an automatic interest (taking into account that you have a vision of what you want your business to become).
5) LOOK AT PARALLEL PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS
Relate your current problem to one that you had in the past and check for parallels between the two. The way(s) earlier problems were solved can assist you greatly in generating ideas to solve subsequent situations that present themselves.

Think laterally, think vertically, think logically. The best ideas will always come from groups working for the common goal. Give your group as much opportunity to be creative by listening twice as much as speaking. Do this as informally as possible and get past situations into the open. You can then draw on the past successes and take them a step further with the challenge of today.
6) LOOK AT EACH TASK AS A CHALLENGE
It's true that if you look at a problem simply as a "problem" then that is exactly how many will look at it. Sure it is a problem and therefore, needs a solution. However, this thought should not be in the forefront of the mind when looking to turn this "problem" into an "asset".

The word, "problem" tends to sum up negative thoughts within us. It is these negative thoughts that can almost act as a barrier to its resolution. Now if we turn the coin over and look at it from the other side (using our example in step 1) we can look at the trip from wherever we are to New York as an adventurous challenge. It is simply by this method that we have more positive thoughts within our mind and are more likely to enjoy ourselves along the way presented with an interesting challenge as opposed to a potentially difficult problem. Just look at the goal. How happy will you be when you arrive at Frankfurt?
7) TURN THE CHALLENGE/PROBLEM INTO A CATCHY _EXPRESSION
Okay we have looked at using past example and creating parallels to "answer our challenge". One step further is to present the challenge as a catchphrase.

Using our same example: 'Aunty Jackies For Christmas' 'Frankfurt Or Bust' (Hmmm!! This one's a bit old) 'Europe For The Summer' 'Dream Trip Of A Lifetime' 'The European Cultural Experience' 'Tomorrow travel at 250kmh legally' Doing this will give everyone an idea of the benefits associated with the attainment of the problem at hand. It puts them in the situation that they are already there. It's so much easier to get there with a popular vision on the mind. What _expression would you suggest?
8) DAYDREAM!!! LET YOUR CEATIVE SUB-CONSCIOUS WORK FOR YOU!!!
It's no strange coincidence that during the time you drive along staring out the window, sleep in your bed, undertake your daily duties at work or anything for that matter your sub-conscious continues to work for you (even though you may not always be fully aware of this).

How often have you been doing something totally unrelated and then suddenly an idea snaps into your mind? Often? Sometimes? Never? In any case after you have put considerable time into solving your problem you will find your inner mind will work for you. Sometimes if you try too hard to solve something you end up with nothing short of major frustration. So, as the _expression goes "chill out", have a break and sleep on it. You may be surprised at how successful switching off can be.
9) ALTER YOUR ROUTINE REGULARLY
Have you ever noticed how easily we accumulate habits. Many habits can actually stifle your creativity. If you are someone who:

'travels the same route each day' 'work at the same desk and task day in day out' 'mix with the same people regularly' 'take your annual holidays to the same destination each year' To continue generating healthy ideas to better our work, our surroundings, our family etc we must continually be looking for "newness". Familiarity is very good in that it makes us feel very very secure. It is this very security that closes our mind to change and restricts our creative abilities. Take the bus or the train across town or maybe even just a different route from time to time, broaden your job responsibilities, take on another sport or leisure activity and meet some different people with a different outlook. You will be quietly surprised at how much positive energy you will get from doing things as small as that outlined above.
10) CARRY A NOTEPAD
I always have a notepad with me. I am now at the point where I can't live without one of the most simple devices known to man, which has probably been around almost since the days of the "Cave Man".

A pen with a pocket size pad is brilliant as you can capture every idea that comes to you. It's absolutely useless to say "I'll write it down later" as the chances are very slim that you will in fact do that at all. They will be your ideas. Capture them, preserve them, apply them.
I hope you enjoyed this article today.

Think Successfully

By Darren Roberts

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
The Top 10 Tips for Multi-tasking !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

The Top 10 Tips for Multi-tasking !! - April 8th, 2006

We normally make a list of pending / important tasks on previous Friday or on Monday and address them one by one.

Here is an article by Stephanie McDilda which tells us about ways and means of doing multi-tasking effectively.

Multi-tasking is a very misunderstood activity. Most people claim to be multi-tasking, when what they are really doing is wearing themselves out trying to do too many things at once. Here are some tips for helping you multi-task effectively without burning yourself out.

1.Pair activities that require a lot of mental attention with those that require little or no mental attention.
Many people make the mistake of attempting to do two activities which both require mental focus at the same time. Multi-tasking works best when you pair an activity that requires your attention with another that doesn't. For example, you might read while peddling your stationery bike.

2. Make a plan.
Having a written plan for the things that I need to do helps me identify which things can be done at the same time. It also helps me see things that can be delegated, and things that will be more effective if done in a sequence. Before I learned to multi-task, I would run out in the morning and do two errands. Then I would run out at lunch and do another, then two more after work. Now I have learned how to map an effective route through town that will let me hit all of my errands efficiently and get them out of the way in one quick trip.

3. Make your wait time productive.
Never allow someone else to waste your time. Almost everywhere I go, I carry a small tote bag (or a brief case if you prefer). I carry reading materials, such as a magazine or book, note cards, bills and my checkbook, etc. Carry work related materials if you prefer – the latest proposal you need to read, or a report that requires your feedback. When you are forced to wait pull out something you can do to make your wait productive.

4. Leverage the time of others.
Are you someone who feels that you have to do everything yourself? If you can get others to pitch in, the work gets done faster and, technically, you are doing more than one thing at a time. Remember, you do not have to do something yourself to know that you have completed the task. Delegate.
Ask your spouse to take out the trash while you do the dishes. Have friends over for a covered dish or potluck supper. Everyone agrees to bring something and it is not only less work for you, but you get to try out each other's special dishes. Ask your teammates at work to help out with a project. Remember that asking for help from your friends or co-workers also implies a relationship in which you will at some time be the giver instead of the receiver.
Hire.
If you can afford it, hire others to do the work you hate or which you feel is not a good use of your time. This also provides an income for someone else. A good example would be hiring a housekeeper or a yard service. While they are cleaning your house or mowing your grass, you can be doing something else.
Accept offers of assistance.
When someone offers to do something, or help with something – let them! Unless you believe there are strings attached, accept any sincere offer of assistance... and be willing to reciprocate when appropriate.

5. TV time is a great time for multi-tasking.
I try to limit my television viewing to special shows. If you really don't want to turn the TV off, try to add another activity. Some people will exercise while watching TV – maybe you can put your treadmill or stationery bike where you can view the TV, or make an agreement with yourself that you will do push ups or crunches on every commercial. I also use TV time to read magazines, pay bills, send notes and cards, or cross-stitch.

6. Group similar activities.
It is important to me that I keep up with my friends and business associates. I have a group of girlfriends that I enjoy seeing regularly. They all know and like each other, so rather than meeting with or having lunch with each of them separately, we schedule a "Girlfriend" outing at least once a month and everyone gets together at the same time. Likewise, I have a group of business associates that all know and enjoy each other. Rather than schedule four separate lunch meetings, we will plan lunch or dinner as a group, and everyone catches up at the same time. Give your wallet and waistline a break. Unless you need to discuss something confidential or pertinent to only one person, try a group gathering.

7. Take advantage of technology.
A portable phone will allow you to pick up stuff around the living room while chatting on the phone. (A cordless headset will give you two hands free!) I work from home and will usually run the dishwasher and the washing machine while I am working. A website can be used to market your business, and even generate income while you sleep. (I should mention here that I am NOT a big advocate for talking on your cell phone while driving.)

8. Involve the people you cherish in your activities.
One of the most difficult things about our busy schedules is having the time to do community service, or other activities and still spend time with the people you love. Use multi-tasking by involving those you love in your activities. Find a community service activity where you can involve your kids, friends, or significant other. If you have younger children consider becoming a scout leader or sports coach so that you can donate your time and be with your children. Teenagers can be involved in more sophisticated activities like volunteering with you at the Food Bank or Habitat for Humanity. I often recruit friends to go shopping with me. My husband and I work out together at the gym. Get creative. See how you can do the things you want and still spend time with the ones you love and enjoy.

9. Many hands make light work.
Another opportunity to flex your creative muscle. Every year at Christmas, one of my close friends (a single woman) has a tree trimming party. She provides dinner, and the friends gather together to put up and decorate her tree. Consider a cookout/car wash. Have your friends meet at noon and bring a dish for a cookout. Have a ball washing everyone's car. In late afternoon, wrap up with a cookout. Remind everyone to bring dry clothes... I think you might need them.

10. Remember that some things deserve your undivided attention.
You wouldn’t want your surgeon watching TV while removing your appendix! Some things are so important that they require your full attention. I never multi-task my quality time with my spouse and kids. (Almost never, see #8 above.) I also give my time with God priority. Don't attempt to multi-task while praying, meditating, or sitting in church. Remember, too, that problems or issues at work or home will be handled most effectively if you will give them your complete focus.

By Stephanie McDilda

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
Made for Success- Ability, Motivation, Attitude, Opportunity and Focus !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

Made for Success- Ability, Motivation, Attitude, Opportunity and Focus !! - April 8th, 2006

Get a New Attitude

One of the first and foremost things to do to change your life is to change your attitude. Attitude is fundamental to the success or failure that we experience in our life. Are you less successful than you would like to be? Do you have the money you want? Do you have the family you want? Do you have the job that you want? If you answered “no” to any of the questions above, then you may want to take a look at your attitude, because so much depends on it!

“Life is 10 percent what you make it and 90 percent how you take it,” says Irving Berlin. It is true. Now don’t get me wrong, that 10 percent is M-A-J-O-R, but even bigger than that is what your attitude is. So, do everything that you can – action wise – to make your life an absolute success. But when you are done acting, you will only have what you have. It may be big and it may be little. But it is what you have to live with. Now the biggest key will be what your attitude is toward what your actions have brought to you. One person will work and be happy with it. Another will work, achieve the same thing and have a terrible attitude about it. Who will achieve the most successful life? My bet is on the one with the best attitude.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said that “To different minds, the same world is a hell, and a heaven.” It is all in what value you give to it! You see, you may look at one thing and say “That’s terrible,” while another person may say, “That’s great!” A simple example would be a half a ham sandwich. Now, if you are used to filet mignon, you are going to think, “A measly old ham sandwich? Is that it?” But a starving person would have a very different viewpoint! They would think, “I won the lunch lottery!

Another reason to keep in mind that our attitude is so very important is because often times the attitude we demonstrate is exactly what we will get back to us. The great Earl Nightingale said, “Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.” Think about it. You walk into a store and say to the clerk, “Hey lady, do you think you could get off your duff and tell me where I can find the milk?” What kind of attitude do you think you will get back? Instead, we should go in and say, “Excuse me, but would you be so kind as to tell me where I could find the milk?” You will get a good attitude back from that! The same is true in every area of our lives. Do you find that others have a bad attitude toward you? Then maybe you have a bad attitude toward them. The old saying is true that you reap what you sow. If you are reaping bad attitudes, you are probably sowing bad attitudes. Take a closer look, and you may find the key to turning your life around.

“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. That little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” W. Clement Stone. Let’s face it, there is little difference in people physically or intellectually. But what does make the difference is the attitude. You can take two people of similar background, education, skill and intelligence and find that one is the kind of person you are looking for because of a positive attitude while the other is a complete dud – the eternal pessimist! Your attitude is the big difference.

What is your attitude? Is it positive or negative? Are you an optimist or a pessimist? I guarantee you, no matter what your attitude is, it is affecting you – and your success. Take this test: Purposefully upgrade your attitude for 90 days and see if life doesn’t begin to change for you! Pick a few areas where you can make a change. For example, begin to trust people and believe the best in them and see if your relationships begin to change!
If you’re stuck or if you just want to go to the next level of success, it’s time to “Get a New Attitude!”

Ability, Motivation, and Attitude
“Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz.
There are three primary aspects of your life that will determine whether or not you are successful in your endeavors. You will not be successful if you have only one or two. You must have all three working together. Consider them like the three legs of a “stool of success.”

Ability – the level at which you are able to actually do things. Your skill level. If you have a high level of skill, that’s good. And the better you get, the better it will be for you. To the degree that you can perform your actions at higher and higher skill levels, the more and more success you will find in your chosen field.

Motivation – the level at which you are able to find “a reason to act.” This is the internal drive that you find that enables you to exercise your abilities. To the degree that you can find a way, or ways, to keep yourself motivated, you will see yourself right in the thick of things, carrying out your actions to the best of your abilities and succeeding accordingly.

Attitude – this is the mental state that you have while carrying out your actions to the best of your ability. It is the way you view the world around you and choose to see it, either positively or negatively. To the degree that you can maintain a positive attitude about yourself, others, and the circumstances you find yourself in, you will see yourself achieving greater and greater things.
“But Chris, can’t I get away with just two?”
No.
What if you have high skills and motivation but a rotten attitude? People will stay away and hinder your success. What if you have a good attitude and motivation but poor skills? People will like you, maybe even root for you, but go to someone else with the skills they need. What if you have great skills and attitude but no motivation? Well, you’ll be sitting on the couch like a lazy slug while the go-getters are out there making your money and achieving your dreams!
No, it takes all three. So let’s ask some questions:

Ability: How highly skilled are you? Is your skill level holding you back? How so? What could you achieve if you just took your skills to the next level beyond where they are right now? How would improving your skills improve the bottom line of your success?

Motivation: How motivated are you? Why do you answer that way? What would your spouse or close friends say? Would they say you are as motivated as you say you are? Why or why not? Why do you have the level of motivation that you have? What could you do to find a higher level of motivation? What would happen if you became super motivated for the next period of your life. What great things would happen?

Attitude: Do you have a good attitude or a poor one? How would you rate yourself? What about when things go wrong? Are you more of an optimist or a pessimist? What would happen if you took your attitude to the next level for the next 60 days? What if you just chose to have an incredible attitude? What would be the ramifications?
“The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; it is what a man or woman is able to do that counts.” Booker T. Washington.
This is so true. People will judge you on what you accomplish, not what you know or what you talk about. In fact, if you know a lot or talk a lot but do not accomplish anything, people will wonder what happened. So the question is whether or not you will take the actions necessary to deliver on your potential. To do so, you will need to focus in on the three legs of the stool of success: Your ability, your motivation, and your attitude.
Take some time this week to give some serious thought to these three areas. Your success depends on it! And when you have done some reflection – put the conclusions you come to into action!

When the Door of Opportunity Opens
Anybody can achieve anything – do you believe that? I do.
But there is a caveat that must be made. Those who succeed are those who walk through the door of opportunity when it swings open. That we know. But what is the secret to getting through the door of opportunity?
Being outside the door when it swings open.
As the story goes, Frank Sinatra got his big break while working as a waiter. One day, as he was waiting tables, who does he see sitting in the restaurant, but one of the biggest names in the music industry. Old Blue Eyes did the unbelievable: He cleared off a table next to the gentleman and got up on it and sang! He knew he was done at the restaurant for doing so, but how many times would this door of opportunity open up? Needless to say, the rest is history.
You may remember my article about the stagehand for Kenny G who one day was in the auditorium with Kenny, just the two of them, when he started to play every song for him on the piano that was set up. Kenny didn’t even know the guy could play the piano. Guess who is now the lead keyboardist for Kenny G? You got it!

You see, you never know when the door of opportunity is going to open wide. For some, the big break comes early in life and for others later on. But for all of those who become successful, there is one key similarity: They were ready. And for every one of those who were ready, there were thousands more who weren’t.

So, the principle for us is: Be ready!
Are you ready? Here are some thoughts for you to consider.
Are your skills as sharp as they could be? Are they enough so when your shot comes you can perform?
Is your character deep enough to handle success? Let’s face it; you don’t want big success if your character won’t be able to handle it.

Are you working hard to position yourself now? The job to do while waiting for the door to open is to develop your skills and your character, so as to position yourself to get through that door before it closes.

Your door will open someday. It opens for everyone. It may only open once or it may open many times. It is different for everyone and life just isn’t fair that way. But everybody gets a shot. Will you be ready?
When that huge door of opportunity opens up, will you be able to walk boldly through it?

Do everything you can to be ready. Don’t just sit and wish and dream. Be proactive and make sure that you are the most qualified when the door opens. Make sure that you are the hardest worker. Make sure you are the closest to the door.
When it opens – Be Ready!
Shhh. Do you hear that? Hinges creaking! It is the sound of the door opening. Your door of opportunity! Are you ready?

The Secret to Intense Focus
One of the common elements you see in almost all successful people is focus. They saw what they wanted to achieve and they focused in on it like a laser. Then, when they become famous and we, the common folk, know their name, we are amazed at the focus they have.
Focus will set two people apart who have equal skills.
What I am about to say may appear to be blasphemous to some:
Tiger Woods is not that much more highly skilled than the other top PGA players!
No, I haven’t lost my marbles. Take any of the big names and stick them on any course and on any given day they can shoot a 65 for 18 holes. You see, it isn’t whether they can – they all CAN – it is whether or not they DO. And that is determined mostly by F-O-C-U-S.

Watch Tiger sometime in a close race to the finish. Watch when he hits a bad shot. Does he fall apart and grumble to anyone who will listen? No! In fact it is almost eerie to watch him lock back in, even more focused than ever. THAT is what makes him a champion. I truly believe it is Tiger’s focus that has distinguished him from the rest of the field to become the best golfer ever.
The same is true with others who achieve great things, even in crucial and highly tense situations. Think John Elway in those final minutes of those games he brought the Broncos back in. Think of all of those last second shots that Michael Jordan took (that everyone in the entire arena knew he was going to take – including the other team). These were classic examples of focus.
So what can the average person do to increase their focus? There are some things to do to train yourself. You may never be Tiger Woods, either on the golf course or in the office, but you can increase your focus to where it needs to be to give you the success you desire.

In the remaining part of this article I want to show you how to stay away from a common mistake and turn toward a discipline of focus that will be the first step in greatly enhancing your ability to focus. I will show you a practice technique to use that will greatly enhance your focus and your performance.

The myth is that to focus we must push other things out of your mind. For example, people will say to an athlete, “Don’t listen to the fans.” Or someone will say to another, “Don’t think about…” This doesn’t work! For example, right now, do not picture your car. You thought of it right? Exactly. This myth actually gets you to focus on exactly what you don’t want to focus on!

Instead, the secret to intense focus is to set your mind intently on what it is you want to focus in on. For example (I’m hoping we have some golfers here – and if not, make the changes you need to, but you should get the point), let’s say you are standing over a ten foot putt. What do you want to focus on? Making that putt! So what are the elements you should be aware of? Then focus on them. But go beyond mere observation. Most people just look at the line of the putt, take a guess on how hard to hit and fire away…

Here are some other things to do (remember the process here is to get you highly aware of your surroundings and to focus with intensity):

Look at the hole. Is the plastic cup even with the top of the grass or is it sunken in? How much? Bet you never noticed that before. Does the grass tip in at the edge or is it even? How long is the grass between you and the hole? Does it waver in length from foot to foot? Is there sand along the way in your path? How much? What color? What size? Is it even or just for a section? Are there any bugs sitting on the ground between you and the hole? Does the hill go up or down at all? Not significantly – you would have already noticed that – but even slightly? Is there a slight wind? Can you feel it blowing on your face? Lastly, imagine that ball rolling along that path, curving slightly if it has to, and falling in the hole. I mean, really create that movie in your head and watch it!
Chris, is this the secret to making your putts? No, but it’s an example of how to focus… Be observant. Notice. Focus. Lock into your focal point(s).

The same could be done at a business meeting with all of the people there, what questions they are asking, what points are being made, what may come next, what the others are wearing, why they chose that outfit for this meeting (What they were trying to accomplish etc).
The myth of most focus advice is to try to not focus on bad things. The secret to intense focus is to focus to a higher degree than you normally do on the “good things” – the things you are trying to accomplish!
Give it a try for a week. Focus intensely on what it is you want to accomplish. Bring yourself to a much higher degree of awareness of the surroundings etc… and see for yourself the power behind this methodology!

Then when you have taught yourself to do this for practice, it will become a part of you and you will start to do it naturally and that will be an incredible day!

By Chris Widener

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
Lateral Leadership: Ignite your Team's Potential !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

Lateral Leadership: Ignite your Team's Potential !! - April 8th, 2006

Many CEOs are focused on improving efficiency, controlling costs and delivering better operational performance. They are working extremely hard in tough conditions. But they are acting as managers not leaders. Incremental improvement in the existing operations is not enough. In addition to improving current operations, leaders must spend time looking for entirely new ways to do things. They must find and implement different and better ways of meeting the overall goals. They should be starting bold, new initiatives - some of which will fail and some of which will succeed. Above all, they must inspire and empower their people to take a creative approach to new opportunities.

Sometimes the situation you are in is so tough that you just cannot work your way out of the problem. You have to think your way out of the problem. But most organisations are resistant to rapid and discontinuous change. They operate as they have operated in the past. It is as though they learnt to walk from A to B and now they are finding it tough to walk from B to C. So they try to walk faster. They work harder and try to improve efficiency but they are still not getting there. Instead of working harder they should be working smarter - and differently. There is a better way of getting from B to C than by walking - maybe it is cycling or riding or driving or taking a helicopter. There is a better way of reaching your organisation's goals and if you look hard enough you will find it. But you cannot look in a new direction by staring harder in the same direction.

The lateral leader is the kind of person who can create a climate of creativity by inspiring people to have the confidence to take risks and who can help them develop their skills in creative techniques. These leaders paint a vision for the organisation, communicate it and derive goals and objectives from the vision. They spend enormous effort on the culture of their team to make it open, questioning and receptive to new ideas.
The Three Platforms of the Lateral Leader are:

1)The Vision - a shared view of the destination to which the business is headed. It should be short, inspirational and readily understood to everyone. The Leader constantly reinforces the vision.

2)The Culture - which empowers individuals to be entrepreneurial, open to new ideas, questioning of all assumptions and boundaries and with a positive attitude to managing risk.

3)The Process - which includes; practices in place to generate a wealth of new ideas from routine improvement to crazy initiatives, response mechanisms for suggestions, funding for prototypes, evaluation methods to gate resource release

Leaders in every sector have a responsibility for initiating and directing change. Everyone has the shared responsibility of changing the business to make it better equipped to meet its changing goals and to keep finding innovative ways to deliver its objectives. Just doing better what you do today is not enough.

To do this requires a different style of leadership, lateral leadership. The conventional leader is fine when what is needed is command and control of a well-defined process. But for rapid and discontinuous change the lateral leader is better equipped. He or she focuses on developing the skills of the team in innovation, creativity, risk-taking and entrepreneurial endeavour. The lateral leader manages change by initiating it.

By Paul Sloane

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
How to Read Your Boss' Mind !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

How to Read Your Boss' Mind !! - April 8th, 2006

Looking for a pay raise or promotion? You’ll need your boss on your side. Before helping an employee up the ladder, bosses – either consciously or unconsciously – ask themselves seven questions. If you can put yourself in your boss’ place (it also works for audiences) and answer these queries, you’re much more likely to get the help you need

1)What can you get done for me?
A dream employee reflects favorably on the boss and the department, getting great results with minimal training and hand-holding. Your boss must be able to size up quickly, simply and clearly the value of your work.

2) Why is that important to me?
Your boss is looking for something that is important to him or her rather than to you. You may love some aspect of your work, but if it is of no value to your boss, who cares? Find out what the chief wants and needs most – and get it done. Then, without being too obvious, get it noticed.

3)Is that more than I’m getting now?
Whether they own up to it or not, everybody wants more. It’s not just about greed – having more offers some protection against having less at some other time. Getting more from you also lets your boss feel smart for having you around.

4)Is that better than I’m getting now?
Even bosses who desire quantity seek quality in your work. High-quality results that exceed expectations – not only of your boss, but your boss’ boss – will do wonders for your perceived worth.

5)Is that sooner than I’m getting it now?
Time is money. If you can deliver the results sooner than your boss expects, it distinguishes you from other employees who may have trouble meeting deadlines.

6)Does it cost less than I’m spending now?
Cost is vital to your boss. His budget is skimpy, but he has to make do. If your results far exceed your cost, you’re a diamond in the rough. Even considering cost sets you apart.

7)Is that less risky than what I’m doing now?
As much as bosses like the excitement of a throw-caution-to-the-wind new project, the potential slips and slides scare them more. Help your boss safely take on bigger and better projects.

By Mark Goulston

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
Leadership - Seeing, Describing, and Pursuing What's Possible !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

Leadership - Seeing, Describing, and Pursuing What's Possible !! - April 8th, 2006

"We can be # 1 in our industry!"

Historians spend their lives dissecting the past; leaders focus their energies on the future. They see, describe, and pursue new possibilities with great vigor. Leaders are confident there is always something higher to achieve, a new level of excellence to attain.
The possibilities triangle includes the following:
  • Seeing what's possible
  • Describing what's possible
  • Pursuing what's possible

Seeing What's Possible
Leaders start by focusing on current reality. New presidents and CEOs often spend up to six months visiting company facilities meeting with employees at all levels. They probe, observe, and evaluate what people say, and how people think and behave. What's being accomplished? What's not getting done? In his book, Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…and Others Don't, author Jim Collins says that great leaders have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts about the current situation. They cut through the hype and spin to uncover the truth.
However, leaders aren't satisfied with the status quo. They believe most people and organization are underperforming and capable of achieving and redefining their potential as new challenges are presented. A colleague states, "Leaders have bigger ideas and loftier goals in mind. They see opportunity while others only see - business as usual!" The major message in Tom Peters' new book, Re-imagine is just the point I'm making - discover what's possible. I encourage you to take this concept a step further by challenging yourself to see new possibilities everyday.

What is possible?
  • 100% customer satisfaction
  • Equal opportunities for all
  • Six sigma quality or zero defects
  • Being the world leader
  • Employees who love what they do

Non-leaders, bystanders stay focused on the status quo and obstacles that prohibit change. Their attitudes and assumptions paralyze them from exploring and uncovering new opportunities and possibilities. They often operate with one or more of the following mind-sets.
  • Stereotypes-"He's a bean counter. He could never be in Sales." "She's only a secretary. She could never be a team leader."
  • Theory X Assumptions - "Most people are lazy, irresponsible and don't want to work." "He's incapable of directing his own behavior."
  • Negative/Pessimistic - "We'll never solve that problem."

When people hold these assumptions, beliefs, and attitudes they aren't able to see the potential in people and organizations. They have no vision of what can be.
How do leaders discover what's possible? It starts with a fundamental belief in people: in their capacity to create new ideas, experiment, learn, adapt, grow, work as a unified team, and their will to create a better future. Some of the actions you can take to discover what's possible include:
  • Study The Best - Every chance you get observe the best-the top tennis player, the most efficiently run zoo, the company that annually receives outstanding customer service awards, etc. There are always new ideas and lessons to be learned from studying the attitudes and actions of the best performers.

• Change Your Mission - Restate your business purpose or mission. For example, if I change my business mission from "to make buggy whips" to "to design and produce unique leather products," I'm opening my mind to consider a wide range of leather products such as belts, bags, pants, and wallets.

• Be Curious - Ask Questions. "How can we cut cycle time by 50%?" My favorite questions are "why" and "what if." "Why do we have that procedure?" "What if we outsource the HR function?" The right question forces you to truly evaluate how something is currently being done and how it might be done differently.

• Start With a Clean Sheet of Paper - Ask the question if you were starting out today how would you set up and operate your business? What would you do differently?

• Travel - I'm a big believer in international travel. See first hand how businesses operate in other countries. Experiencing a totally different culture always helps me see new possibilities and opportunities.

• Leave Your Comfort Zone - Tom Russell, author, trainer and publisher states, "When I think about what's possible I focus on what makes me uncomfortable. What lies just outside what I believe is possible. I find new opportunities and directions just beyond my comfort zone."

Bottom line - leaders discover new possibilities in terms of both what can be accomplished and how it can be done. As a parent, husband, teacher, and coach I have frequently asked the question-what possibilities do I see? What can my children become? How can my marriage evolve to a new level? What can my students achieve? If I can't see what's possible I can't lead. I have no direction to pursue without a vision.
What possibilities do you see for your team, department, and organization?

Describing What's Possible
Leaders not only see what's possible, but also describe what's possible. They describe what's possible in a clear, concise, and compelling manner. Leaders paint the picture of a better future in a way that people can visualize it, feel it, and connect with it.
How can you make your message stand out from the crowd? What makes Madonna stand out? She's bold and daring. She's provocative in her style, dress and delivery. What makes Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream "speech stand out as one of the best of all time? His message was simple - equal opportunity for all. However he packaged his message with colorful language, hit emotional cords and his presence was clearly felt.
Ho-hum messages go by unnoticed. Originality, boldness, daring, passion, and guts grab people's attention. What you say - the message and how you say it - the delivery are both critical to getting people's attention.

Creating the Message
Leaders have to take their ideas regarding what's possible and organize these abstract thoughts into a powerful concrete presentation. Sometimes you only have a few minutes to informally present your ideas; while in other instances it may mean giving a 40-minute formal speech. They use many of the following techniques to create their presentation.
  • The Right Balance - Leaders package their message with the right balance of realism and optimism. They keep hope alive.

• Keep It Simple - Boil things down to the core nitty-gritty. Leaders use simple stories, examples and illustrations to make their point.

• Contrast - They often compare or contrast "what is" versus what "can be." Leaders talk about "good-bad," "right-wrong," "present-future." They boil things down to two options so people have a clear choice of what needs to be done and why. For example, "Our choice is to embrace risk and uncertainty as a challenge, or stay in our comfort zone and lose market share."

• Stories - Nothing is more interesting than a good story. When leaders tell stories, they engage people both emotionally and intellectually. A senior executive told me, "The best stories are personal. They describe how someone faced difficulty, struggled, experienced fear and doubt, and eventually found a way to succeed. Memorable stories are simple but make a powerful point."

• Colorful Language - They paint pictures. "The red BMW convertible…" is easy to visualize. Former President Reagan once said, "a trillion bucks amounts to a stack of dough as high as the Empire State Building."

• Business Case - Present one-to-three reasons why change is needed. Most people want a clear definitive reason why they need to change and what's in it for them.

Delivering the Message
How do leaders deliver their message? They are:
Passionate
Energetic
Animated
Confident
Determined
Purposeful
Happy

Where do the passion, energy and fun come from? They're excited about the possibilities they see. Leaders love to discuss their vision. It's like an evangelist who wants to preach his message every chance he gets. In addition, they project confidence and certainty that they know where they are going and how to get there. Tricia Day, Chief Labor Relations Officer, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority states, "Having confidence in yourself and your beliefs provides the energy to be forceful and direct."
Leaders create a clear, focused, powerful message. Their delivery is animated, enthusiastic, and purposeful. However leaders don't create and deliver a "perfect speech" on their first try. It's like writing a book. Making revisions, editing, and fine-tuning are needed to make it focused and powerful.
Describe one possibility you see for yourself, your team, and your organization. Get feedback on the content and delivery of the message. In what ways could it be improved?

Pursuing What's Possible
Step one is seeing what's possible. Step two is describing what's possible. Step three is pursuing what's possible.
Talk is one thing. Execution - taking action is something quite different. "Walking the talk" means your actions had better match your words. A senior executive states, "I must set the example. If I don't take risks and show I'm willing to change how can I expect my direct reports to change? No one will stretch more than I do."
In addition to "setting the example" pursuing what's possible means helping people change. As people leave their comfort zone doubts and fears creep in. Fear of failure can become more pronounced as people move farther out of their comfort zone. Leaders help people find the courage, knowledge, and skills to make the needed changes. They provide the following support:
  • Psychological Support - Help people deal with their doubts and fears. Build people's confidence. Affirm their talents and determination to succeed. Remind people of their previous successes.

• Training Support - Help people learn the "how-to-do-it" part of the equation. Change usually requires new knowledge and skills. Provide the target audience with the appropriate education and training. Help people use and apply their new skills.

• Cheerleading Support - Provide frequent recognition and rewards for people's efforts and accomplishments. Plan and celebrate short-term wins. Momentum will increase if there are positive results early on.

• Feedback Support - The best leaders give frequent and candid performance feedback. They let people know what they would like to see "more of," "less of," and what should continue unchanged. Performance feedback reinforces desired behavior and defines when new behavior is needed. Without feedback, employees are left to assume their performance is meeting or exceeding expectations.

Achieving what's possible requires focus, hard work, and determination. Expect problems and frustrations especially during the initial implementation. When the "rubber meets the road," it can be bumpy. There are always potholes and problems along the way. Some people will react with fears and doubts. "I don't think I can learn the new software." "I don't know how I'm going to handle being on three teams."
It's easy to get distracted and lose your focus. It's tempting to give up on your dream when problems and setbacks occur. However, leaders know the end result is worth the effort. They help everyone keep their eye on the "prize."
To what extent are you pursuing the possibilities you see for yourself and others? To what extent are you implementing your plan to achieve your goals?

Summary
Some people can't see beyond today. They have no vision. Other people see new possibilities but have trouble describing them clearly, concisely and convincingly. Still others see what's possible, describe it, but never take the first steps to achieve their vision. To be an effective leader all three actions - seeing what's possible, describing what's possible, and pursuing what's possible - are needed to lead and make a difference.

By Paul B. Thornton

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
The Genuine You !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

The Genuine You !! - April 8th, 2006

As we take on the unfinished agenda and the new priorities, it will be useful to pass through some thoughts which make us believe that remaining "genuine self" is the best foot forward.

Here are some views from Ralph Marston.

It is good to laugh when you find something funny. It is good to cry when you are sad.

You are a beautiful, unique living person, with hopes and dreams, feelings, values, opinions, thoughts and visions. It is good to let all that shine through.
People sometimes think they can appear sophisticated by denying who they truly are. Yet real sophistication and value comes from fully expressing your most genuine sentiments and truths in the way you live your life.
You'll never find fulfillment by trying to be someone you're not. You'll never find fulfillment by following someone else's dreams.
Life is always best when you live each moment as the real person you are. Though it can be painful and difficult at times, it is far better to live the genuine truth of your own being than to run and hide from it.
Go ahead and feel the joy, the pain, and fully live the ups and downs and twists and turns of the rich and wonderful life with which you're blessed. Be the real, genuine you, and there's no limit to the fulfillment you can know.

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :
The Secret of Success !!
Old
nick18_in

Mumbai, Maharashtra

The Secret of Success !! - April 8th, 2006

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." In the end, it's the persistent bulldog that will own the backyard.
Perhaps there's some hope for me, after all then!

It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped." -- Anthony Robbins
"If you've tried to do something and failed you are much better off, than, if you tried to do nothing and succeeded."
I believe some essential qualities in achieving success in life are: # DRIVE
# PASSION
# ENERGY
# SELF BELIEF and INNER CONFIDENCE and most importantly
# HAVING A LIFE PURPOSE

HOW to do it?...Listen to that still inner voice deep within you -your soul. Nurture your inner qualities of intuition. Focus on your strengths and build on your weaknesses (but also build up your strengths even more).
Develop strategic relationships, where you build teams with people whose skills you lack. Build "win-win" relationships with your complementary relationships, so you ALL win. It's the process of synergy at work - that is, 1+1 =3 (or perhaps even 111)
To do this effectively, you need to share a common vision of where you (and/or your business) are headed.
To do this you need to be an effective communicator in communicating your goals and vision to others.
NB: Have a positive outlook on life. ATTITUDE is the most important ingredient in whether you will be successful. You can everything else,but without the 'big A', it will be very hard.
Think differently to the masses and let your creative imagination work for you. The human mind has amazing power. Let it find numerous unique business ideas for you, if you only ASK it. Then sit back and wait for the answer to come from the creative subconscious mind.
There are many lucrative undiscovered business and life opportunities out there, just waiting for you to take ACTION.
Be a person of ACTION. Don't just talk your ideas away. Just be YOU. THE FINAL WORD:
I truly believe that... the key steps to achieving success in whatever endeavor you choose in life are "the A,B,C,D,E" ,ie:
A. ATTITUDE
B. BELIEF
C. COMMITMENT
D. A DREAM (+ DETERMINATION + DISCIPLINE)

E. ENERGY+ PASSION+ PURPOSE = SUCCESS!

Success is a process... as life is the journey, not the destination. So take pleasure in it.
"You are not in this world to live up to anyone else's expectations but your OWN."

Honesty, integrity, persistence and ingenuity are the keys to success.
"Success is your birthright. Loss is impossible.

Do what you came here to do. Be what you are." - Alan Cohen

"Some people dream of success...while others wake up and work hard at it."
"If you can believe it, you can achieve it.
If you can visualize it, you can realize it!"

By: Craig Lock

Best Regards,
Nikhil Gadodia
Consultant -->

Consultant -->

Consultant -->

My Blogs
HR Related :

Mixture :