Samuels in Indian police probe

The first one-dayer between India and the West Indies in Nagpur on January 21 is being investigated after Nagpur police claimed that they were in possession of taped phone conversations between Marlon Samuels, the West Indies allrounder, and Mukesh Kochchar, an alleged bookie. Both the Indian board and the ICC confirmed receiving the police report and the ICC has started investigations into the matter. On his part Samuels has rubbished any involvement, saying, "I have not done anything wrong".

At a press conference on Thursday evening, Nagpur 's police commissioner SPS Yadav revealed that Kochar and Samuels had spoken four times over the phone. He added that Samuels had specifically told Kochar over the phone at 11.30 pm on January 20 that he would bowl first change the next day - which is what actually happened. What also apparently strengthened the police's suspicion was that Samuels chose to stay on in Mumbai - ostensibly to take part in a cricket reality show - when his team left for the West Indies after the series ended, during which time he was again in contact with Kochar.

The police clarified that they had "no evidence about financial commitment made", or of match fixing, but that "prima facie it is a violation of the ICC Code of Conduct for players".

"We have received the report today and have forwarded it to the ICC for necessary action," BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla told PTI. Shukla said the ICC's Anti-Corruption Unit representative in India was already in touch with the Nagpur Police to get all the necessary information regarding Samuels's links with Kochar. "I have also spoken to the ACU representative here on this issue. The BCCI will cooperate in the investigations. Since it is involving a foreign player, it is a very sensitive issue and needs to be handled carefully."

"At the moment no Indian player is involved and we can take action only if an Indian player is involved," BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said.

India had beaten the West Indies by 14 runs in the Nagpur ODI, the first game of the four-match series which India went on to win 3-1. Samuels conceded 53 runs in his allotted 10 overs of the game and followed it up with a 60-ball 40 during the run-chase.

'I don't do such things' - Samuels

Marlon Samuels, the West Indies allrounder, was quoted in The Times of India as admitting to knowing Mukesh Kochar, the Indian bookie, but insisting: "I don't think he's a bookie. I usually talk about cricket but don't give out any such information." The Nagpur police have claimed that Samuels passed on match-related information to Kochar ahead of the one-day match in that city on January 21.

"I don't do such things man," Samuels was quoted as saying. "I have not done anything wrong. The West Indies Cricketers' Association will take up the matter if necessary." The report said Samuels laughed when told the Nagpur police had recorded his conversations with Kochar.

Meanwhile, the West Indies Cricket Board has said it had not received any communication yet from the BCCI or ICC on the allegations and has said it was "not going to act on rumour or gossip."

Tony Deyal, the WICB spokesman, was quoted in agency reports as saying the board would take necessary action only after getting a formal report. "We have not been officially contacted by the BCCI or ICC. However, we are not going to act on rumour or gossip and will not be panicked, particularly since we are talking about the career and future of a young cricketer of talent and promise," Deyal was quoted as saying. "We have a zero-tolerance policy on gambling and we strictly adhere to the ICC codes," he added.

Samuels's mother Daphne Lunan, meanwhile, told The Jamaica Observer that she didn't believe her son was involved in any wrongdoing. The mother of eight said she has been in shock ever since another of her sons, David, told her he heard the report on radio yesterday. "I was so shocked to hear that; right now I'm feeling so nervous because I don't believe Marlon mix up into those things." She also claimed that her son and Kochar had been friends for a long time. "All when he is not playing match he [Kochar] call him because the last time with his [Samuels's] foot (injury) he called and said he is a good player, he must continue, that's it." Lunan added that she herself had spoken to Kochar on several occasions.

Source : Cricinfo.com