e-CAT -Good or Bad?

deepakraam

Par 100 posts (V.I.P)
Finally, IIMs are trying to take CAT to a new level.It is soon going to be e-CAT.This sounds good.But will this work?Even in the current rates IIMs are charging Rs.1000/- application which is costlier considering the no.of MBA appl each has to get.Once CAT goes online,IIMs have hinted at the increase in the price/appl.Moreover,online system didn't work-out for XAT in 2002.Bt we need to wait and watch how the IIMs are going to change this methodology.Currently the no.of centres conducting exams are large so ppl in remote places can take the exam in the nearby centers.I doubt the same no.of centres will be there for computerised CAT.Moreover,institutes like TIME,IMS are conducting more than 20 mock CATs which simulate the real CAT scenario.So ppl from coaching institutes don't get any surprises on the D-day.If CAT goes online,wat will happen to the mock CATs conducted by the institutes.I hope they will also increase the CAT coaching fee which now itself is huge.We have a working model,GRE which works on CBT.But the processing fee and application fee for applying to the institutes in U.S are relatively high.So will CAT become like tht in future?

Wats your say on this?

-Deepak.

shikha bhagat

e-cat – a step ahead

There is a beautiful another face of a coin, which should be given due attention. If e-cat happens people need not to move far to take exam, which save time. As far as fee hike matter is concerned we should keep in mind that government promotes IIMs institutes. So we have faith that government will not come up rude for students.
Yes e-cat will give new international standard to our institutes.
Thank you
Regards

daveparthiv

There are two sides of a coin. On one side, the e-CAT will benefit IIMs, Coaching classes and will (probably) be efficient than paper-based test. Certainly, this could be considered as a step further to making CAT as world-wide accepted test. Probably, few years from now, CAT might be acceptable for getting into MBA. The only reason to believe is CAT 2007 format. CAT is moving toward GMAT format and in the way to be considered as Standardized Test.

Having said that, the e-CAT raises several doubts regarding implementation. If all students are divided into batches, how IIMs will create 4 test set with same level of difficulty? How IIMs will ensure questions are kept confidential and secured? Security will become key-concern as protection from hacking is most important. Considering IIM standard, I guess these logistics will definitely be taken care.

But, the most important question: "How it will impact the MBA aspirants?". I think hike in coaching fees and difficulty level of CAT will certainly be challenging for MBA Aspirants. But, I believe, MBA aspirants are never scared of challenges.

Bring it on!!! :)

iamlahiri

i think its a good step. i mean, internet traffic will be impossible but itll at least be better than the queues! but infrastructure has to be very accomplished for this to work as envisioned.

MBAguru1

I think it is a useless discussion........................................CAT is never gonna be computer based.....................................so, just chill...

sanjoy

Yes, I think it will going to be a problem, specially in states like w.B.
Many students will have a problem due to the unknown system.Also
during exam network failure wil definitely a problem.

Rohan19

cat planning to go e-cat....is a very good concept & should be welcomed..naysayers will be there all the time who will disappear as the d-day will come.there are going to hard times implementing the concept but its going to make life more simple for the aspirants...but have faith in indian story it always creates history...
regards
rohan

vikas_kuku

Finally annouced its e-CAT next year

Next year... they are doing there best...lets see if they have all solutions to all the problems. It will be intresting to see.

ankitgokani

MP Guru
E-CAT and excellent move for urban students or better developed students but some areas which are not developed may have some problem i feel both written and online exam shud be carried out students who wanna write online they do so and who dont go with normal procedure.

ceegee

Hi As this year CAT is going to be online.....me thinks it might be bad rather than good as the authenticity of the paper will not be there.....it might be there that all will be not getting the same paper and thus the difficulty level of the paper can be questioned.......So me thinks its bad rather than good...

vma2084

Hey this ecat concept is nice for present world scenario. Say information technology is being used everywhere and relatively things are being converted to the "e" thing. So this cat conversion is a nice concept and really needed as for large, infact huge aspirants for MBA increasing on a minute bases. this could be considered one side of the coin

vma2084

Next look on to the other side, Infrastructure this also growing at a large pace, but actually seeing only physically things are changing in reality is it true???
Many colleges and schools for example do have the infrastructure but don't have the capacity and if they do have they cant take the load. I am not saying there are any college who have this facility and tackle this issue, but look at the size of MBA aspirants and the number of colleges that have this facilities.

vma2084

The last part how to look at both side of the coin???
I would say there are many ways to look into this, firstly the decision could be long term one. Say for example XAT did try this in 2002 they should have continued trying or tried the experiment from then on, I am sure they would have accomplished it by now (the year 2007). The only problem that would have to be seen is bridging connection number of aspirants and then the number colleges/schools/centers with the specified specifications of infrastructure.

lalvineets

Well I think this move by the IIM's may come as a set back for the lower middle class people as there can be an increase in the fees charged by various coaching classes.