Really helpful ...............for beginners in stock market..

pratikbharti

MP Guru
How to select a tax-saving fund ???

With less than 6 months left for the close of the financial year, smart investors would have commenced their annual tax planning exercise. Tax-saving funds (also referred to as equity linked savings schemes -- ELSS) are popular avenues among risk-taking investors. Apart from providing benefits under Section 80C (investments in tax-saving funds are eligible for deduction from gross total income), they serve another important purpose. Tax-saving funds offer risk-taking investors the opportunity to invest in line with their risk appetite, while conducting the tax-planning exercise.

To begin with, investors need to determine what portion of their investible surplus (subject to an upper limit of Rs 100,000 under Section 80C) will be apportioned to tax-saving funds. The principles of asset allocation are applicable to tax-planning as well. Hence, apart from market-linked avenues like tax-saving funds, assured return schemes like Public Provident Fund, National Savings Certificate and tax-saving fixed deposits should also find a place in the tax-planning kitty. The investor's risk appetite and investment objectives should play a part in determining the allocation to various investment avenues.

Having decided on the allocation to be made to equities (within the tax-saving sphere), the next step is to select a tax-saving fund. Broadly speaking, a tax-saving fund isn't very different from a conventional equity fund. Hence the parameters relevant while selecting an equity fund are applicable to a tax-saving fund as well. The 3-Yr lock-in is a differentiating factor that needs to be taken into account. Following is a 5-step strategy for investing in a tax-saving fund:

1. Scrutinise the fund house first

At Personalfn, we maintain that a fund house should make the grade before any of its funds can be considered for investment purpose. Hence, before selecting a tax-saving fund, ensure that its fund house passes muster. The fund house must be strong on investment processes; in other words, star fund managers shouldn't hold sway over the decision-making process. While a star fund manager can help the fund's cause only so long as he is associated with the fund house, a process-driven investment approach has longevity.

2. Avoid funds with a restrictive investment mandate

Investors should steer clear of tax-saving funds that have a restrictive investment mandate. For instance, some tax-saving funds are known to be positioned as mid and small cap offerings. Investors in such a fund could find themselves in an unenviable situation, if the mid/small cap segment hits a rough patch and large cap stocks emerge as the season's flavour. The situation is accentuated on account of the 3-Yr lock-in. While in a conventional equity fund, the investor has the opportunity to liquidate his investments, the 3-Yr lock-in, prevents him from doing so in a tax-saving fund.

3. Seek diversification

A common feature in several fund houses is that the tax-saving fund mirrors the fund house's flagship equity fund. Therefore, it is not uncommon to see the tax-saving fund have a portfolio and an investment style similar to that of the flagship equity fund. For the sake of diversification, investors should avoid being invested in two funds offering the same investment proposition. The financial planner has an important role to play in evaluating the portfolios and investment styles of various funds and helping investors avoid duplication in their portfolios.

4. Evaluate the fund on the returns front

Investors must evaluate the tax-saving fund's performance on the returns front over longer time frames i.e. at least 3 years. This is pertinent, given that the same is the minimum investment time frame for a tax-saving fund. Also, the fund's performance vis-�-vis its benchmark index and peers should be evaluated. Finally, investors should study how the fund fared during downturns in equity markets. While it is not uncommon to find even mediocre funds deliver a sterling performance in rising markets, it is in a downturn (read bear phase) that funds are truly tested.

5. Evaluate the fund on other parameters

There is a lot more to a mutual fund than just returns. Its performance on risk parameters like volatility control and risk-adjusted return must be studied. Also the fund should have a track record of adhering to its stated investment mandate at all times. Only when the fund makes the grade on all these parameters and does so consistently, should it be considered for investment purpose.

firewire1234

Thanks vengabeats, bonddonraj and pratik...really...
so much of information...
i was researchin so much...on net i dint get nethin...
and here in one post i got so much of info...
i guess more than what i need :)

i dont have that much of knowledge what u people have but i can this link i got..
i think it is very useful...

List of Calculators...

thats the only way i can payback.

Thanks yaar!

janish

Thanks a lot for this insight.......................

Its great knowledge and i am looking forward for more information from your side.......keep up the good work in future.......

newtoo

Hey guys ,

Thanks for uploading those files, articles,etc and sharing with us. It's more than useful.