MNEMONICS

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
baleful
sinister; malicious, spiteful; furious; deadly

Synonyms - MENACING, threatening, unfriendly, hostile, antagonistic, evil, evil-intentioned, vindictive, malevolent, malicious, malignant, malign, sinister; harmful, injurious, dangerous, noxious, pernicious, deadly, venomous, poisonous; poetic/literary malefic, maleficent.

Antonyms - benevolent, friendly

Think of a hardcore criminal like dawood ibrahim or shobraj... this guy would have been convicted for 100s of cases but would have been released on bail 100s of times too.... u can say he is bail - full

Now such a guy would be a big time moron, a sinister fella... a spiteful, deadly goon.... very dangerous....

So there u go. Add as many compliments as u want to this fellow...
icon_wink.gif

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Watershed - ridge or high area dividing land drained by different rivers or systems; area which drains into a river; point of change, turning point

Consider u had a bad day and then, it pouring down rain, just adding to ur miseries. You can't help it and since u dont even have an umbrella, u are just getting wet, desperately looking for a shed.... Suddenly u spot a shed, which protects u from the rain.... This might be the turning point of ur miseries and then u suddenly receive a call from ur boss and then things turn out to be fine.

Just a story i made up to remember this word.... So watershed means turning point.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Boisterous : rough stormy violent.

Imagine u are getting ready for a party or rather a prom where u have a date with ur gf... Suddenly, while getting ready, u see a blister or a pimple on ur face.... u freak out... get all stormy and loud, not knowing what to do.. u did a lot of preparation on getting ready and this blister can ruin the day. Hence the word....

boisterous - noisy, loud; stormy; excited

boisterous adjective
a boisterous game of handball: LIVELY, animated, exuberant, spirited; rowdy, unruly, wild, uproarious, unrestrained, undisciplined, uninhibited, uncontrolled, rough, disorderly, riotous; noisy, loud, clamorous; informal rumbustious.

a boisterous wind: BLUSTERY, gusty, windy, stormy, wild, squally, tempestuous; howling, roaring; informal blowy.

opposites - restrained, calm.

p.s. i got this idea from archies :becky:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
heterodox - unorthodox, different from commonly held beliefs or doctrines (especially pertaining to religion); holding an unorthodox belief or doctrine

Synonyms - UNORTHODOX, nonconformist, dissenting, dissident, rebellious, renegade; heretical, blasphemous, apostate, sceptical.

hetero indicates different, like in heterosexual. Do heteo- would indicate a class of ppl having a different mentality, i.e. which would NOT be orthodox.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
parochial:means narrow viewpoint.

parochial.... break it as par + roach

par means equal and roach indicates to cockroach, meaning a derogatory low person... such a person would be narrow minded

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Berate -- scold/shouts

it sounds similiar to irritate and when a person is irritated, he/she would talk loudly.

Alternatively... break it as berate = beer + ate...

now when u eat beer... or to say u drink deer... u get a kick and get high and then u would start talking loudly in an intoxicated manner.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
Next word:
palliative - calming, soothing; alleviative, bringing relief; mitigating, moderating, lessening

From the word, it is obvious what i would be saying.... It has come from pal which means buddy and ur buddy would always be calming and soothing u

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
vindicative - vindicating; of vindication; punishing

Break it as we-indicate.... imagine a statue of law (remember the baba saheb ambedkar statue) which is pointing at a person, who is guilty. So the person should be punished. Hence the meaning.....

Last edited:

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
plenitude -
n. abundance; fullness; majority; surplus

As u can see that the word means plenty (pleni-tude) and hence is a derivative of it.

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
peregrination - travel, journey, voyage; migration, wandering
Hi anhishek,

The idea of mnemonics is not merely to give the meanings, but make a related sentence formation, to aide the memory. Something which can be related to the meanings to remember them clearly.

gaurav_kh3

this is rather a good thing.... have u uploded such material in ur cat prep. stuff wich u have files like cat-1..., misc1..? can i find such stuff ... plzz gimee url of that

gaurav200x

Gaurav Mittal
this is rather a good thing.... have u uploded such material in ur cat prep. stuff wich u have files like cat-1..., misc1..? can i find such stuff ... plzz gimee url of that

Well I'm not quite clear what you mean by "such material". I don't think there is anything related to mnemonics in there. It is an art for learning the words and following the above examples, can be mastered. Please be more specific as to what you need.