NiCk Da Posts..!!

Entrepreneurial Speech by Mr. Narayan Murthy

Hi All,

An excellent speech of Mr. Narayan Murthy, Chief Mentor of Infosys, on Reflection of an Entrepreneur to the Wharton graduating MBA class of 2001.

It reminds us What is an Entrepreneurship in today’s scenario?, that is also in such a time where we all are hearing about Scams and lack of Corporate Governance and all unethical business practices.

I am strongly recommending you to read his speech. A class of its own.

Attachments

• Reflections_of_a_Entrepreneur__NR_Murthy____Wharton.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 81

nick18_in

MP Guru
Developing the Thank You Note Habit

Developing the Thank You Note Habit
I learned the value and power of thank you notes early in life. When I was a young child; my parents occasionally went out with friends for dinner. Invariably, when my parents returned from an evening out, I saw my mother sit down at her little desk in the hallway as soon as she got home and begin to write. One night I asked her what she was doing. Her answer came straight out of Emily Post: "We had such a wonderful time with our dear friends this evening that I want to jot them a note to thank them for their friendship and the wonderful dinner."
My mother's simple act of gratitude, expressed to people who already knew that she and my father appreciated and enjoyed their friendship, helped to keep my parents' friendships strong for their entire lifetimes. Because I understood that building relationships is what selling is all about, I began early in my career to send thank you notes to people. I set a goal to send ten thank you notes every day. That goal meant that I had to meet and get the names of at least ten people everyday. I sent thank you notes to people I met briefly, people I showed properties to, people I talked with on the telephone, and people I actually helped to own new homes.
I became a thank you note fool. And guess what happened? By the end of my third year in sales, my business was 98% referrals! The people I had expressed gratitude to were happy to send me new clients as a reward for making them feel appreciated and important.

nick18_in

MP Guru
How To Identify & Motivate Bad Employees

<H4>The Manipulator

</H4>The manipulative employee thinks everything is all about him. At best, they're backbiters, but more often than not they keep score and seek payback years after a perceived slight. Such people are hollow at their core and don't know how to form stable relationships. Don't share personal information with such people, because they'll use it against you. Manipulators can be charming and might succeed in sales or as deal closers. Be careful, because constant vigilance isn't enough.

Perfectionist

A perfectionist never gets off the dime. They fuss and fulminate and believe everything has to be just so. They seek to control the small details because they're afraid of failure. Don't expect perfectionists to be good team players. They do best with solitary, rule-based tasks and often excel at accounting or other detailed jobs.

Mr. And Ms. Irresponsible

Chronologically, irresponsible workers aren't kids--they just act that way. Try to find out what makes 'em tick: money, attention, strokes? Set standards, enforce them rigorously and show your appreciation for a job well done. When you find something that works, it must be done again and again and again, forever and ever without end, amen, because they will quickly backslide.

Dr. Phil's Patients

You're a manager, not a TV shrink fixing the world's problems between commercial breaks. If an outside problem gets in the way of a critical assignment, give the worker a less stressful task. Then offer your support. You can't be a therapist, but you can direct the worker to an outside person who can help.

Source: forbes.com

nick18_in

MP Guru
Don't Hope Friend...Decide

Don't Hope Friend...Decide
by Michael Hargrove

While waiting to pick up a friend at the airport in Portland, Oregon, I had one of those life changing experiences that you hear other people talk about. You know, the kind that sneaks up on you unexpectedly? Well, this one occurred a mere two feet away from me! Straining to locate my friend among the passengers deplaning through the jet way, I noticed a man coming toward me carrying two light bags. He stopped right next to me to greet his family.

First, he motioned to his youngest son (maybe six years old) as he laid down his bags. They gave each other a long, and movingly loving hug. As they separated enough to look in each other's face, I heard the father say, "It's so good to see you, son. I missed you so much!" His son smiled somewhat shyly, diverted his eyes, and replied softly, "Me too, Dad!"

Then the man stood up, gazed in the eyes of his oldest son (maybe 9) and while cupping his son's face in his hands he said, "You're already quite the young man. I love you very much Zach!" They too hugged a most loving, tender hug. His son said nothing. No reply was necessary.

While this was happening, a baby girl (perhaps one or one and a half) was squirming excitedly in her mother's arms, never once taking her little eyes off the wonderful sight of her returning father. The man said, "Hi baby girl!" as he gently took the child from her mother. He quickly kissed her face all over and then held her close to his chest while rocking her from side to side. The little girl instantly relaxed and simply laid her head on his shoulder and remained motionless in total pure contentment.

After several moments, he handed his daughter to his oldest son and declared, "I've saved the best for last!" and proceeded to give his wife the longest, most passionate kiss I ever remember seeing. He gazed into her eyes for several seconds and then quietly said, "I love you so much!". They stared into each other's eyes, beaming big smiles at one another, while holding both hands. For an instant, they reminded me of newlyweds but I knew by the age of their kids that they couldn't be. I puzzled about it for a moment, then realized how totally engrossed I was in the wonderful display of unconditional love not more than an arm's length away from me. I suddenly felt uncomfortable, as if I were invading something sacred, but was amazed to hear my own voice nervously ask, "Wow! How long have you two been married?"

"Been together fourteen years total, married twelve of those." he replied without breaking his gaze from his lovely wife's face.

"Well then, how long have you been away?" I asked. The man finally looked at me, still beaming his joyous smile and told me, "Two whole days!"

Two days?! I was stunned! I was certain by the intensity of the greeting I just witnessed that he'd been gone for at least several weeks, if not months, and I know my _expression betrayed me. So, I said almost offhandedly, hoping to end my intrusion with some semblance of grace (and to get back to searching for my friend), "I hope my marriage is still that passionate after twelve years!"

The man suddenly stopped smiling. He looked me straight in the eye, and with an intensity that burned right into my soul, he told me something that left me a different person. He told me, "Don't hope friend...decide." Then he flashed me his wonderful smile again, shook my hand and said, "God bless!". With that, he and his family turned and energetically strode away together.

I was still watching that special man and his exceptional family walk just out of sight when my friend came up to me and asked, "What'cha looking at?" Without hesitating, and with a curious sense of certainty, I replied, "My future!"

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Magic to Creating Opportunities

The Magic to Creating Opportunities
Young children are wonderful to be around because we learn so much from them. When they begin to ask questions we, as adults, find ourselves searching for appropriate answers to their many questions. They get us to think.
Our answers reveal a lot about who we are, what we believe and what we value. We learn through these moments about the power of questions. We are held captive by their wondering eyes, their inquisitive minds until, after (what feels like) hours of questioning, we finally become frustrated and exhausted and tell them to go play.
Through the years these same children, often as young adults, stop asking questions. First they stop because they think that they know it all, so they do not have any need for questions. Second, and this happens as they mature, they stop asking questions out of fear of appearing ignorant or foolish, often this second phase can last a life time. It is in the second phase that most people remain. I admit that it took me quite a while to move out of this second phase.
The repercussions and costs of staying in the fear stage included lost sales, financial missteps, poor purchases, difficulty in some relationships, missed opportunities and many boring social gatherings. Thankfully, I saw the light regarding the power of questions.
Questions are effective in our different relationships, because they connect us to each other. Asking questions creates communication and enables to build deeper understanding of who we are, what we value and how we can help. Each of us has various roles that we play. The roles may include manager, salesperson, team member, wife / husband, parent, son / daughter, volunteer, financial manager for your family, coach or friend. Within each role we can use questions to teach us about the other person, show us how we can be of service, learn expectations and clarify misunderstandings and goals while becoming more interesting.
Remember the saying "be interesting to others by being interested in others"
In my new book "Bragging Rights: How to Get Teams to Identify, Defend, and Increase the Value They Add to Your Company", I instruct managers, through the use of questions, to elicit the values of their team, to learn from their team members their strengths and goals and how to use those strengths to be a more productive and powerful team. The most effective sales people are those that ask questions and then listen to the answers. Powerful sales people ask a variety of questions so that they understand their client. '
* What makes this particular customer effective?
* What do they value?
* What do they value in the companies they work with?
Most sales people talk too much and listen too little. If they asked more questions and listened more effectively most would have more sales, because they would know which of their products meets their clients needs. Of course one question to ask, after you close the deal is:
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]Is there someone you can refer me to who could use my service/product?
If you are a parent, can you relate to this scenario?
Parent: Hi, how was school?
Child: Okay? Parent: What did you do today?
Child: Nothing. Child walks away and that conversation ends.
By using different kinds of questions you can generate more effective answers. What was the funniest thing that happened today? If I called your science teacher what would she say she taught today? What is the easiest homework that you have today? Change the variety of questions from day today. Use the same techniques with your wife/husband. After many years of the same old "How was your day?" Answers can become repetitious. Change the question. "Where did you drive today?" "What did you see that was different today?" "Did you read anything interesting today?"
Questions create conversations. Friendships are deepened when you ask questions. You learn about your friend's experiences and thoughts. Questions also make social gatherings more enjoyable. It is easy to start a conversation by asking someone a question; creative questions can bring interesting answers.
"What do you like best about living here?" "Where did you go on your last vacation, I am planning mine for next year and not sure where I am going?" "What do you like best about your business?" "What brought you to this event?"
Questions create opportunities, because if you are paying attention and listening you can learn about new places to visit, new products to offer, new insights into your daughter's or son's life, new people who can help you achieve your dreams.
Your job is to ask questions, be an active listener and then connect the dots. Use the conversation to create connections between who they are, what they do, and how they do it and who you are, where you want to be, and how you can get there.
Questions are powerful and can open doors. They are magic.
Pegine's has over 15 years of experience as a nationally recognized expert on success, leadership, and teambuilding, and 30 years of experience in the workplace, ranging from corporate America to public service. Visit her site at http://www.pegine.com

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Genius of Teamwork

The Genius of Teamwork
True teamwork is the rarest, most exhilarating, and most productive human activity possible. Every business wants to harness this incredible energy, but achieving such a level of motivation and esprit is not always easy. A team is not just a group of individuals who work at the same location or have the same logo on their business card.
A real team is made up of people who may be unequal in experience, talent, or education, but who are equal in their commitment to working together to achieve the goals and good of the organization, each other and their customers. If we are going to be successful, we can no longer look at our organizations as departments, divisions, or branch offices. We must look at the bigger picture and resolve to work together in ways we may never have done before. We may even need to cooperate with the competition. Think of all the mergers and acquisitions in the past few years. Your number one competitor today could be your partner tomorrow.
Futurist Bob Treadway CSP, from Littleton, Colorado often gives the Mensa IQ Test to participants in his seminars. He has found that many "average" people, when working as a team, test at "genius" level or higher. Participants contribute in different ways. Some brainstorm. Some work alone and then report back to the group. Treadway finds that a team "becomes a genius when everyone works together."
Treadway also noticed that when a team is working at optimal performance, it is hard to know who the leader is. In other words, the team runs the team. Such teamwork doesn't happen by accident. It requires commitment and effort, a willingness to accept the uniqueness of others, and an appreciation of diversity. We build teams in our companies the same way we build relationships with our friends and coworkers. High-functioning teams establish us and our companies as reliable, internally and externally. We then project this image to our customers, vendors, competitors, and communities.
With downsizing and restructuring, many managers today are responsible for as many as 250 people. More than ever, these managers need to build responsible and committed team members if they want the best performance from them. But how do they go about it?
A very dynamic, productive example was the team led by Mike Powell, when a senior scientist at Genentech. Because of its past successes, his ten-person team was given the most important assignments. I asked Mike how he managed to keep his people highly motivated in an environment with long hours and a great deal of frustration. "I keep them happy," he said. Now, every manager wants to do this, so I pressed Mike for details. "Ten years ago," he continued, "I told team members only what I thought each needed to know. Now I tell everyone everything. It may slow them down a bit while they are filtering through all the information, but they get the big picture. Then they can then decide what it is they need to know and do."
He added, "I also gave them lots of positive feedback via email and voice mail. One group at Genentech lost their leader, but they stayed incredibly productive. I left a voice-mail message for one of them, saying 'Everyone in the company is talking about how well you all are doing.' They were really effective as a team and appreciated knowing it." Building a real team gets real results, but it can't be done with slogans and directives. Ed Stair, Senior Vice President at Gap talks about 'Gap Heroes,' everyone who uses innovation to find ideas to save money or improve productivity. Start by respecting each person's individual contribution, showing appreciation, exciting them about their possibilities for achievement, and sharing with them that their group effort has the potential for real genius. Good luck!
Patricia Fripp CSP,CPAE is a San Francisco-based professional speaker on Change, Teamwork, Customer Service, Promoting Business, and Communication Skills. She is the author of Get What You Want! and Past-President of the National Speakers Association. [email protected], 1-800 634 3035 http://www.fripp.com

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Secret of Happiness

The Secret of Happiness
by Steve Brunkhorst, © Copyright 2004

The old man shuffled slowly into the restaurant. With head tilted, and shoulders bent forward, he leaned on his trusty cane with each unhurried step.

His tattered cloth jacket, patched trousers, worn out shoes, and warm personality made him stand out from the usual Saturday morning breakfast crowd. Unforgettable were his pale blue eyes that sparkled like diamonds, large rosy cheeks, and thin lips held in a tight, steady smile.

He stopped, turned with his whole body, and winked at a little girl seated by the door. She flashed a big grin right back at him. A young waitress named Mary watched him shuffle toward a table by the window.

Mary ran over to him, and said, "Here, Sir. Let me give you a hand with that chair."
Without saying a word, he smiled and nodded a thank you. She pulled the chair away from the table. Steadying him with one arm, she helped him move in front of the chair, and get comfortably seated. Then she scooted the table up close to him, and leaned his cane against the table where he could reach it.

In a soft, clear voice he said, "Thank you, Miss. And bless you for your kind gestures."

"You're welcome, Sir." She replied. "And my name is Mary. I'll be back in a moment, and if you need anything at all in the mean time, just wave at me!"

After he had finished a hearty meal of pancakes, bacon, and hot lemon tea, Mary brought him the change from his ticket. He left it lay. She helped him up from his chair, and out from behind the table. She handed him his cane, and walked with him to the front door.

Holding the door open for him, she said, "Come back and see us, Sir!"

He turned with his whole body, winked a smile, and nodded a thank you. "You are very kind." he said softly.

When Mary went to clean his table, she almost fainted. Under his plate she found a business card, and a note scribbled on a napkin. Under the napkin was a one hundred dollar bill.

The note on the napkin read...
"Dear Mary, I respect you very much, and you respect yourself too. It shows by the way you treat others. You have found the secret of happiness. Your kind gestures will shine through those who meet you."

The man she had waited on was the owner of the restaurant where she worked. This was the first time that she, or any of his employees had ever seen him in person.

Authors Note: This story is based on actual events experienced by a friend from St. Paul, Minnesota. The note is the exact wording on the napkin that she has kept in her scrap book for fifteen years.

About The Author: Steve Brunkhorst is a professional life success coach, and the editor of Achieve! 60-Second Nuggets of Inspiration, a popular mini-zine bringing stories, motivational nuggets, and inspiring thoughts to help you achieve more in your career and personal life.

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Fine Art of Gratitude

The Fine Art of Gratitude
"What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it -- would you be likely to give them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must truly appreciate what you already have."
- Ralph Marston

Think for just a moment of all the things that require practice: grammar, arithmetic, algebra, and even the guitar. Practice is probably something you think you're done with when you leave school or give up music lessons. But, have you ever thought of practicing the fine art of gratitude? In our generation of instant satisfaction, the art of gratitude is nearly lost. How often do we pause to consider the seamstress who tailored the shirts that we wear? The truck driver who delivered the goods that we purchase at the store? The many hands that labor in the background to provide our many comforts?
The farmer grows the wheat, the wholesaler sells, the distributor supplies, the truck driver delivers, the baker kneads and bakes and the salesperson sells the bread. If you consider them, their support staff and those who provide the background material and ingredients, it requires hundreds of laborers to provide a single loaf of bread. There is, indeed, an art to gratefulness that can best be expressed as a GREAT-FULLNESS.
Every single thing we have has been given to us, not necessarily because we deserved it, but gratuitously, for no known reason. And whatever source we believe is the giver - some spiritual concept or simply the breathtaking randomness of the universe - when we give thanks, we take our place in the great wheel of life, recognizing our connection to one another and to all of creation.
A Prescription for Better Living
Suppose for just a moment that practicing the fine art of gratitude were not only among our most important positive emotions, but one that links directly to physical and mental well-being. Suppose it is in our self-interest to feel gratitude because it makes us better people. Surprisingly, that is what research has been indicating.
Consider that recent academic studies have shown:
* People who describe themselves as feeling grateful in general tend to have higher vitality and more optimism, suffer less stress, and experience fewer episodes of clinical depression than the population as a whole. These results hold even when researchers factor out such things as age, health, and income, equalizing for the fact that the young, the well-to-do, or the hale and hearty might have "more to be grateful for."
* Grateful people tend to be less materialistic than the population as a whole and to suffer less anxiety about status or the accumulation of possessions. Partly because of this, they are more likely to describe themselves as happy or satisfied in life.
* In an experiment with college students, those who kept a "gratitude journal," a weekly record of things they should feel grateful for, achieved better physical health, were more optimistic, exercised more regularly, and described themselves as happier than a control group of students who kept no journals but had the same overall measures of health, optimism, and exercise when the experiment began.
* Grateful people are more spiritually aware and more likely to appreciate the interconnectedness of all life, regardless of whether they belong to specific religions. The Benefits of Gratitude While forgiveness heals the heart of old hurts, gratitude opens it to present love. Gratitude bestows many benefits. It dissolves negative feelings: anger and jealousy melt in its embrace, fear and defensiveness shrink. Gratitude deflates the barriers to love. Gratitude also evokes happiness, which is itself a powerfully healing and beneficial emotion. The great Taoist sage Chuang Tzu even went so far as to say that "When one reaches happiness, one is close to perfection." When we are happy, we like to make others happy, and this fosters kindness and generosity. Gratitude is a gift to everyone. No wonder Saint Paul urged us to "Rejoice always" and to "Give thanks in all circumstances." Like other attitudes, gratitude can be cultivated. We don't have to wait for someone to shower us with gifts before feeling thankful. We can develop gratitude by reflecting on the gifts that are already ours. These reflections can be done for a minute, a day, or throughout a lifetime. Most people celebrate their birthday and holidays, but those who cultivate gratitude celebrate every day. We can be grateful because we are happy, but we can also be happy because we are grateful. We tend to forget how very different the laws that govern the mind are from the laws that operate in the physical world. In the world, if we give a physical thing to another person, whether it be a toy or a diamond, we lose it. Yet in the mind, the opposite is true. Whatever we intend for another person we experience ourselves, whatever we give we gain, whatever we offer flowers in our own mind. If you feel hatred toward someone, that hate boomerangs back and scorches your own mind. On the other hand, if you offer love to someone, that love first fills and heals your mind. Once this is understood, the desire to hate and hurt starts to shrink, while the desire to love and help begins to flourish. The words "As you give so shall you receive" are profound statements about the way our minds work.
How Grateful Are You?
Do you light a candle or curse the darkness?
Do you bless each and everything that comes your way, trusting that its meaning will become clear--even if you can't possibly see
how in the moment?
Take the following quiz to see how grateful you are.
1. I have so much in life to be thankful for.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
2. When I look at the world, I don't see much to be grateful for.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
3. If I had to list everything that I felt grateful for, it would be a very long list.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
4. I am grateful to a wide variety of people.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
5. As I get older, I find myself more able to appreciate the people, events, and situations that have been part of my life.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
6. Long amounts of time can go by before I feel grateful to something or someone.
Agree
Neutral
Disagree
Your response to each question will reveal your how well you practice the fine art of gratitude. Regardless of your responses, here's a closing exercise which will help you to put the principles of gratitude into practice.
I have so much in life to be thankful for such as...
I am most grateful to the following people and for the following reasons...
I intend on practicing the fine art of gratitude by doing the following...
"Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion.
Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception.
Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude.
Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road."
- John Henry Jowett

Gary Ryan Blair is President of The GoalsGuy. A visionary and gifted conceptual thinker, Gary is highly regarded as a speaker, consultant, strategic planner, and coach to leading companies throughout the globe. Visit The GoalsGuy at http://www.getmotivation.com/qk.cgi/goals-guy-grb

nick18_in

MP Guru
I Wanted To Change The World

I Wanted To Change The World
By Unknown Monk, 1100 A.D.

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.
I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.
When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Integrity Leadership

Integrity Leadership
It is true that integrity alone won't make you a leader, but without integrity you will never be one. A classic example involving integrity is one displayed by Steuben, the manufacturers of crystal. For generations they've had a policy of breaking every imperfect piece of crystal, no matter how small the flaw.
Needless to say, this is a potent symbolic act, to both employees and customers. By the same token, genuine leaders must resolve to uphold their standards and values and act as role models for everyone in the organization. If leaders don't place values on a pedestal and defend them against attack, who will?
A person of integrity will make many of his or her decisions in advance. They are guided by principles and decisions that are made not for each individual situation, but according to principle. When values are well established within an organization, when those countless occasions arise where there has been no specific prior example, the integrity principle will lead to an integrity decision. This enables the organization to avoid serious pitfalls.
Leaders with integrity know they are not infallible, so when they make the inevitable mistakes they acknowledge their errors and immediately make amends. In other words, they are big enough to admit their shortcomings and wise enough to right their wrongs as quickly as possible.
In his books and speeches, former Notre Dame head football coach Lou Holtz regularly admonishes people to "do the right thing." When you do the right thing, even if the results are not good, your integrity remains intact; and your followers' confidence in you is not irreparably damaged, because they know you are a person of integrity.
... Adapted from Zig's popular book Staying Up, Up, Up In A Down, Down World.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Its all about Understanding !!

Let us learn to love & understand ...
Sometimes we spend time asking who is responsible or whom to blame, whether in a relationship, in a job or with the people we know. We miss out some warmth in human relationship to give each other support.
Treasure what you have.
Just a little story ....
A boy was born to a couple after eleven years of marriage. They were a loving couple and the boy was the apple of their eyes. When the boy was around two years old, one morning the husband saw a medicine bottle open. He was late for work so he asked his wife to cap the bottle and keep it in the cupboard. His wife, preoccupied in the kitchen totally forgot the matter. The boy saw the bottle and playfully went to the bottle and fascinated by its color, drank it all. It happened to be a poisonous medicine meant for adults in small dosages. When the child collapsed the mother hurried him to the hospital, where he died. The mother was stunned. She was terrified how to face her husband. When the distraught father came to the hospital and saw the dead child, he looked at his wife and uttered just four words.
QUESTIONS :
1. What were the four words ?
2. What is the implication of this story?

ANSWER :
The husband just said "I Love You Darling"
The husband's totally unexpected reaction is a proactive behavior. The child is dead. He can never be brought back to life.There is no point in finding fault with the mother. Besides, if only he had taken time to keep the bottle away, this would not happen. No one to be blamed.
She had lost her only child. What she needed at that moment was consolation and sympathy from the husband. That is what he gave her. If everyone can look at life with this kind of perspective, there would be much fewer problems in the world.
Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiving attitude, selfishness, and fears. And you will find things are actually not as difficult as you think.
"A successful relationship requires falling in love many times - with the same person."

nick18_in

MP Guru
7 Principles to learn from an Eagle

7 Principles to learn from an Eagle
Eagles were the symbol of almost all conquerors be it Caesar or Hitler. The reason is....!! Read on..... Inspiration on the "7 Principles of an Eagle", Author Dr. Myles Monroe
1. Eagles fly alone at a high altitude and not with sparrows or mix with other smaller birds like geese. Birds of a feather flock together. No other bird goes to the height of the eagle. Eagles fly with eagles. Never in a flock. Even when Moses (Old Testament Bible) went to commune with God on the mountain, he left the crowd at the foothills.
Stay away from sparrows and ravens. [SIZE=+0]Eagles fly with eagles.[/SIZE]
2. Eagles have strong vision, which focuses up to 5 kilometers from the air. When an eagle sites prey- even a rodent from this distance, he narrows his focus on it and sets out to get it. No matter the obstacle, the eagle will not move his focus from the prey until he grabs it.
Have a vision and remain focused no matter what the obstacle and you will succeed.
3. Eagles do not eat dead things. He feeds on fresh prey. Vultures eat dead animals but not eagles.
Steer clear of outdated and old information. Do your research well always.
4. The Eagle is the only bird that loves the storm. When clouds gather, the eagles get excited. The eagle uses the wings of the storm to rise and is pushed up higher. Once it finds the wing of the storm, the eagle stops flapping and uses the pressure of the raging storm to soar the clouds and glide. This gives the eagle an opportunity to rest its wings. In the meantime all the other birds hide in the leaves and branches of the trees.
We can use the storms of our lives (obstacles, trouble, etc) to rise to greater heights. Achievers relish challenges and use them profitably.
5. The Eagle tests before it trusts. When a female eagle meets a male and they want to mate, she flies down to earth with the male pursuing her and she picks a twig. She flies back into the air with the male pursuing her. Once she has reached a height high enough for her, she lets the twig fall to the ground and watches it as it falls. The male chases after the twig. The faster it falls, the faster he chases until he reaches it and has to catch it before it falls to the ground, then bring it back to the female eagle. The female eagle grabs the twig and flies to a much higher altitude pursued by the male until she perceives it high enough, and then drops the twig for the male to chase. This goes on for hours, with the height increasing until the female eagle is assured that the male eagle has mastered the art of picking the twig which shows commitment, then and only then, will she allow him to mate with her!
Whether in private life or in business, one should test commitment of people intended for partnership.
6. Eagles prepare for training. When about to lay eggs, the female and male eagle identify a place very high on a cliff where no predators can reach; the male flies to earth and picks thorns and lays them on the crevice of the cliff, then flies to earth again to collect twigs which he lays in the intended nest. He flies back to earth picks thorns and lays them on top of the twigs. He flies back to earth and picks soft grass to cover the thorns, and then flies back to pick rugs to put on the grass. When this first layering is complete the male eagle runs back to earth and picks more thorns, lays them on the nest; runs back to get grass and rugs and lays them on top of the thorns, then plucks his feathers to complete the nest.
The thorns on the outside of the nest protect it from possible intruders. Both male and female eagles participate in raising the eagle family. She lays the eggs and protects them; he builds the nest and hunts. During the time of training the young ones to fly, the mother eagle throws the eaglets out of the nest and because they are scared, they jump into the nest again. Next, she throws them out and then takes off the soft layers of the nest, leaving the thorns bare. When the scared eaglets jump into the nest again, they are pricked by thorns. Shrieking and bleeding they jump out again this time wondering why the mother and father who love them so much are torturing them. Next, mother eagle pushes them off the cliff into the air. As they shriek in fear, father eagle flies out and picks them up on his back before they fall, and brings them back to the cliff. This goes on for sometime until they start flapping their wings. They get excited at this newfound knowledge that they can fly and not fall at such a fast rate. The father and mother eagle supports them with their wings.
[SIZE=+0]The preparation of the nest teaches us to prepare for changes; The preparation for the family teaches us that active participation of both partners leads to success; The being pricked by the thorns tells us that sometimes being too comfortable where we are may result into our not experiencing life, not progressing and not learning at all. The thorns of life come to teach us that we need to grow, get out of the nest and love on. We may not know it but the seemingly comfortable and safe haven may have thorns; The people who love us do not let us languish in sloth but push us hard to grow and prosper. Even in their seemingly bad actions they [/SIZE]have good intentions for us.
7. When the Eagle grows old, his feathers become weak and cannot take him as fast as he should. When he feels weak and about to die, he retires to a place far away in the rocks. While there, he plucks out every feather on his body until he is completely bare. He stays in this hiding place until he has grown new feathers, then he can come out.
We occasionally need to shed off old habits & items that burden us and add no value to our lives.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Seeing is Believing, or Is It?

Seeing is Believing, or Is It?
(excerpted from The Seeds of Greatness Treasury)

When your eyes are open, you see the world that lies outside yourself. You see the items of the room you're in, the people, and the view of the landscape through the window. You take for granted that the objects are real and separate from yourself.
However, successful individuals see the act of achieving in advance -- vivid, multidimensional, clear. Champions know that "What you see, is who you'll be." When you close your eyes, images and thoughts flow through your mind. You may review memories of past events, or preview future possibilities. You can daydream about what may be or what might have been, and your imagination will take you beyond the limits of space and time.
Most people attach little importance to these inner visions. They may seem pleasantly irrelevant, or uncomfortably at odds with the accepted external reality. If you're like most people, you grew up with the idea that "Seeing is Believing." In other words, you need to physically see something with your own eyes to believe that it's real. I know many successful individuals who live this way.
But there's an attitude that suggests, "Before you can see it, you have to believe it." This premise holds that our belief system is so powerful that thoughts can actually cause things to happen in the physical world. I also know many successful individuals who live according to this notion of reality. So which concept is nearer the truth? Do you have to see it before you believe it, or believe before you can see it? The answer is: both are basically true.
If you can see something in your mind's eye, and you imagine it over and over again, you will begin to believe it is really there in substance. As a result, your actions, both physical and mental, will move to bring about in reality the image you are visualizing. During my university years at the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, I underwent training in aircraft recognition. All of us midshipmen sat at one end of a hall while silhouettes of American and foreign military aircraft were flashed on a screen at speeds similar to combat situations. We were supposed to write down the numerical designations and names of the planes, such as A-4, F-ll-F, F-4, MIG-21, and so forth. But the task became more difficult each week, because they kept adding more planes, scrambling the order, and speeding up the projection. Finally, it got ridiculous, because the images were going by faster than an MTV music video so that most of us saw only a blur, and some didn't see anything. I began to see planes that weren't even invented yet. When it came time for the final exam, I didn't know for certain which planes I was seeing. I wrote down hunches, intuitions, and reflex responses. But when the test results were announced, virtually everyone had scored a perfect 100 percent. We had seen the planes, even if we didn't necessarily believe it. For me, that test proved that images can be stored and retained, unconsciously, at incredible speeds.
And those stored images, when recalled, can enhance performance. What about the thousands of flickering images we see on a TV, computer or movie screen? What about commercials? Do we have to believe the products really do all those amazing things before we buy them? Do viewers have to think that violent scenes in movies and TV are actually occurring in real life for there to be a negative effect on their behavior? Many people believe that violent fantasy has no impact on their lives whatsoever, because they think they're too intelligent to be swayed by it.
Well, I've got news for them. Whatever you see or experience, real or imagined, consciously or subliminally, when repeated vividly over and over, does affect your behavior, and definitely can influence you to buy a product or buy into a lifestyle, good or bad. Your attitude and beliefs are, quite simply, functions of what you see day in and day out. Information can be taken in almost unnoticed. You won't react to it until later, and you still won't be aware of what lies behind your response. In other words, what you see really is what you get, regardless of whether you know it or not.
You don't need to be watching slides of airplanes, or TV shows, or music videos, video games, or commercials. You can be just lying down, or commuting to work, or walking through a park, and by seeing from within, in your mind's eye, you can change your life.
By rehashing fears and problems, you can make yourself depressed. As a result you can botch a business deal, hurt a relationship, or lower your performance. By forecasting a gloomy outcome in your mind's eye, you can act as your own witch doctor and practice a modern-day kind of voodoo that will fulfill your negative prediction with uncanny accuracy. On the other hand, by replaying in your mind's eye the best game you ever played, you can repeat that best game gain, when the stakes are even higher and the pressure is on. And by mentally pre-playing the best game you've ever imagined, you can set the stage for a world-class performance.
This "instant replay" and "instant pre-play" applies to anything from a successful sales call or athletic event to the effective motivation of your teammates and children. Choose your role models and inputs carefully. Your attitudes and beliefs are the software programs driving you every day on life's journey.
Written by Denis Waitley. To receive Denis Waitley's Weekly Ezine, and to learn about his new program The Platinum Collection - Healthy, Wealthy & Wise visit http://www.getmotivation.com/qk.cgi/denis-waitley

nick18_in

MP Guru
Commitment

He Definitely Should Have Been Committed
Yes, commitment is what is called for. He never cared whether a Monday fell on a Friday nor did it matter to him if it was raining or dry. His motto was, "I am exactly where I need to be at this time. Just take it easy, it'll all work out just fine."
I met him many years ago. Let's just call him Tom. We were in college and he was the roommate of a friend. But they were so different. My friend wanted something out of life while Tom thought that life should bring him all things. My friend worked hard, studied late hours, focussed on his dreams and goals and graduated with honors. He was committed to his success. Tom, on the other hand, wanted all the good things in life, but didn't have direction, a plan, a commitment to his future. No one seems to know what became of Tom. He definitely should have been committed.
It doesn't matter what it is that you want or are striving for. To succeed, a high degree of commitment is necessary. We demand it from others but, most times, do not ask it from ourselves.
How would I like it if after paying a webmaster my last penny to get my web site working, he looks at me and says, "You win some, you lose some. I'll do my best and see what happens. I'll get it done soon. And when it's done, it will probably work, but who knows?"
I wouldn't like to see my child lying on the operating table and hear the surgeon say, "Well, I'll do my best. You win some, you lose some. What do you expect from me? I'm like everybody else-- just trying to make a living. Maybe it'll be successful, but who knows?"
This I know: I want my web master to be totally committed to our agreement. I want my surgeon to feel bad if he loses. I want him to be committed to the well-being of my son. I want my grocer, my airplane pilot, my friends, my everybody to be committed to what they are doing.
And how about me? Shouldn't I be committed to my own success and happiness? Well, sometimes that's a different story, or at least, that's what I'd like to think. You see, it's almost always easier for us to see the fault out there than to accept the responsibility for our own actions. Many times, it's much easier to blame others than to commit ourselves to the path of success and happiness.
Yes, success is not easy. It calls for commitment, for focus, for hurling yourself toward the thing you love to do. Sometimes, success asks for blood, sweat and tears. But failure does not ask, it demands and takes our blood and sweat and tears. It doesn't matter whether we are dealing with business problems, relationship or health issues. The same principles apply.
Commitment does not guarantee success. All it does is guarantee that you WILL succeed or you WILL fail. On the other hand, a lack of commitment loads the dice on the side of failure.
Just the other day I heard from my old college friend. He is enjoying the fruits of success. We talked about Tom and wondered what had become of him. We hoped that he had found something along the way that he could give his life and passion to. Didn't matter what it was, a computer expert, a teacher, car mechanic, astronaut, farmer, whatever. We wished him well.
Whatever it is that you do, give your heart and mind to it. Express yourself through your work, your calling, your vocation. Doesn't matter whether you're seeking your fortune on the internet or pursuing success on the outernet-- a sense of purpose and a touch of madness will bring the world to your doorstep.
I have a bit of the former and lots of the latter. Thus far, with all its ups and downs, with all it's joys and sorrows, with all its failures and successes, life's been good. It's what we make it.
John Harricharan is an award-winning author, speaker and the creator of the ground-breaking "PowerPause" system for success. He has shared the lecture platform with such well-known speakers as Deepak Chopra, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, OgMandino, Eric Butterworth, C. Everett Koop and others.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Six Ways to Overcome Fear

Six Ways to Overcome Fear
As you get closer to fulfilling your dreams, don't be surprised if doubt and fear surface. The number one way we sabotage our dreams is by saying things like, "But, what if?" and imagining the worst. But, what if I... fail, succeed, say or do the wrong thing, don't make enough money?
With this thinking, as you move toward your dream, you'll also move toward your fears and worst nightmares. With too much to risk, most of us give up or never even begin. Here are six ways to overcome fear.
1. If you feel indecisive, this can help. Draw a line across the center of a piece of paper. On the top, write your dream in as much detail as possible. On the bottom, write out your reality (about this dream) including your fears, doubts and "but, what ifs". Are you more committed to your dream or to your fear? Two things will cause you to be more ommitted to your fear. The first is if you don't have a clearly defined dream. The second is if you project your worst fears into your dream, you'll choose reality because it's safer. But when fear is placed in its proper place, as part of reality, it's easier to be more committed to your vision and fear simply becomes something to manage.
2. As you connect to your dreams, you'll often run into the voice of your "Doubter." We might ignore or obsess over this because it tells us everything that might go wrong. Left unattended, this voice can be disruptive. But turn the Doubter down and it becomes the voice of the "Realist," who primarily wants to know what you are planning, usually related to time and money issues. Early on, you may not have all the details figured out, which is why going to strategy too soon can actually hinder or limit your dream. Interview your Doubter and be curious. Capture its needs, insights and wisdom.
3. Your Doubter can provide a list of obstacles based on its fears and concerns. The Dream Coach rule is, wherever there's an obstacle, design a strategy to manage it. Make a list of your obstacles and identify which ones are negative self-perceptions or beliefs and which ones require strategies. The first step in managing fear is to identify exactly what you are afraid if. Just saying, "I'm afraid," can be a whitewash and keep you stuck. Identify what you fear.
[SIZE=+0]
4. Beliefs are never neutral. They either move you forward or hold you back, but you choose what to believe. The way to move from limiting beliefs that hold you back to empowering beliefs that move you forward is through willingness, courage and practice. Be willing to believe in yourself and your dreams and have the courage to act on what you believe. Develop this as part of your identity by practicing this behavior continuously until it becomes true.
5. Are you aware of what typically stops you? For most of us, it's something we hate, we're not good at, or that we have no idea how to tackle. It can be frightening and when that task is essential to the success of your venture, it could be your demise. Don't allow one need or issue to destroy your dream. If your dream is to write a book but you can't type, this doesn't have to stop you. Learn a new skill or hire someone. If you can't afford that, explore bartering. Get creative and get going. The time you waste worrying would best be used by seeking guidance and finding answers.
6. Overcome fear and other obstacles (even time and money issues) by enrolling others into your vision. Master this skill and you'll accomplish bigger dreams with less effort. Learn to talk to anyone, anytime and anyplace about their dreams in a way where they feel inspired. Ask what their personal or professional dreams are and explore. Build an arsenal of people that you can reach out to in a pinch. Develop a robust database of brilliant resources that you can access at any given moment. Build a community of fellow dreamers or join one that already exists like www.mydreamcircle.com.
Marcia Wieder is a motivational speaker, specializing in goal setting, visionary thinking and team building. She is the author of several books, and has been featured in her own PBS television special called Making Your Dreams Come True. You can Reach her by visiting http://www.marciaw.com
[/SIZE]

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Wonder Of Your Work

[SIZE==3]The Wonder Of Your Work[/SIZE]

Have you ever seen a child's eyes the first time they look down the main street of Disneyland? That's the wonderment of imagination. Parents are more likely to look down that same street and imagine long line-ups and eternal waiting for everything.

I was reminded recently that all children have this readiness to wonder no matter how poor and destitute. I was raised on the edge of the Sahara Desert where my parents were missionaries. This past Christmas I had their 50-year-old 8mm missionary movies transferred to video for them. In one scene they were giving out T-shirts and shorts to the native kids in a leprosy village who had never seen, never mind owned, anything so wonderful. They had the same look. The look that says, "What do these wonders-mean?"

This is the heart of life - coming to understand what the wonders of our existence - and of our work - mean. All that is possible is wrapped up in the divine gift of imagination which is why it is, at once, the most freeing and imprisoning force known to us - depending, of course, on how we use it.

The world, our own unique personal world, is full of wonders, each of which is connected to our richly imagined future. Very few people see wonders in their workplace. That is a little strange and a lot sad because we can see them elsewhere in our lives.

An executive who appears so uncaring and tough at work actually managed to attend his daughter's grade four play, "The Legend of Johnny Appleseed." Melissa was Mrs. Johnny Appleseed in the play and she insisted that her dad and mom sit in the second row (the first one being "Reserved") right near the center aisle. They could see her white bonnet as she peered through the curtains to be sure they were still there and ready for the wonders they were about to see. And wonders there were! It went the way grade four plays are supposed to go with kids forgetting their lines or not saying them loud enough or saying them too loud. The teacher's constant prompts from backstage, the miscued curtains. Each one a wonder. And then the wonder of all wonders - Melissa's only line rehearsed a thousand times at dinner, in the bathtub and the last thing before sleep. "Oh
my dear husband (that part always made the other kids laugh and it did this time too) do not be discouraged, for people around the world will eat from the orchards you have planted."

I do not even want to meet the parent whose eyes are not filled with tears of wonder in such a situation. Heck, mine are and I'm just making this up. Work is one of the wonders of our lives!

When we can't see the wonders, we are doomed to meander through life without ever finding our intention. When we can't see the wonders we can't make the choices that will lead us to the spiritual wealth that most of us desire.

First we must learn to see the wonders and then we learn to make positive and wise choices in response to those wonders. This is how the richly imagined future becomes present in our lives now.

There are wonders all around us, in every common circumstance. The more we recognize them, the richer we become. May your life - and your work - be wonders-full!

(excerpted from Ian Percy's book The 7 Secrets to a Life of Meaning.)
Copyright The Ian Percy Corporation. Ian Percy is one of North America's most inspirational speakers. Mr. Percy is an international speaker and consultant and can be reached at http://www.ianpercy.com

nick18_in

MP Guru
The Marks We Leave

The Marks We Leave
Mark Sanborn

As time goes on and we reflect
On the things we've said and done;
The places we've been, the people we've met
And we think of all the fun.

We realize the marks we leave in life
Aren't made of stone or steel
But rather of the lives we've touched
And how we make folks feel.

For people are far more valuable
Than achievements great and high,
Than cars or planes or space shuttles
Or buildings reaching to the sky.

You and I can leave our mark in life
By doing all we can
To serve and praise and uplift
The lives of our friends, family, children, women and men and all.

nick18_in

MP Guru
Take A Moment To Listen Today

To what others are trying to say.
Listen today, whatever you do,
Or they won't be there to listen to you.

Listen to their problems, listen to their needs
Praise their smallest triumphs, praise their smallest deeds.
Tolerate their chatter, amplify their laughter,
Find out what's the matter, find out what they're after

But tell them that you love them, every single night,
And though you scold them, be sure you hold them tight
Tell them, 'Everything's all right --
Tomorrow's looking bright!

Take a moment to listen today
To what others are trying to say.
Listen today, whatever you do,
And they will come back to listen to you.

~ Anonymous

nick18_in

MP Guru
It's all in a State of Mind

It's all in a State of Mind

If you think you are beaten, you are:
If you think you dare not, you won't
If you like to win, but don't think you can
It's almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost;
For out in the world you'll find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in a state of mind.

For many a game is lost,
Ere even a play is run,
And many a coward fails
Ere even his work begun.

Think big and your deeds will grow,
Think small and you'll fall behind;
Think that you CAN and you WILL;
It's all in a state of mind.

If you think you are out-classed, you are;
You've got to think high to rise;
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the fellow who thinks he can.

~ Anonymous

nick18_in

MP Guru
Control your behaviour !!

Do not allow others to control your behaviour

There is a pan wallah who is the best long face and grouch anyone would have come across. He constantly feels like the world is agains him and is pretty vocal about it. The story goes that one of his pan fans and his friend used to go there after dinner to eat pan. The panwallah would make the pan as usual - in best quality and hand it over. The pan fan would take the pan and eat it - comment to the panwallah on outstanding taste and quality and give money. He would get a grunt for his efforts at the niceties and a morose handing over of exact change.

One day his friend wondered if despite contiuous brushing off of efforts, was it necessary to compliment the panwallah on the taste of the pan etc. Our friend replied that if he was to be in control of the situation the he needed to.

His questions:
Why should the panwallah control my behaviour?
I am happy about the taste of the pan and not the panwallah.

Lessons -
Who is in control of your behaviour?
Keep the main thing the main thing!

Your choices not your chances determine your destiny!

nick18_in

MP Guru
Four Steps to Success!

Four Steps to Success!

Let me pass on to you these four simple steps to success:

Number one is good ideas. Be a collector of good ideas. My mentor taught me to keep a journal when I was twenty five years old. I've been doing it now all these years. They will be passed on to my children and my grandchildren. If you hear a good health idea, capture it, write it down. Don't trust your memory. Then on a cold wintry evening, go back through your journal, the ideas that changed your life, the ideas that saved your marriage, the ideas that bailed you out of bankruptcy, the ideas that helped you become successful, the ideas that made you millions.

What a good review. Going back over the collection of ideas that you gathered over the years. So be a collector of good ideas for your business, for your relationships, for your future.

The next step to success is to have good plans. A good plan for the day, a good plan for the future, a good health plan, a good plan for your marriage. Building anything is like building a house, you need to have a plan.
Now here is a good time management question: When should you start the day?
Answer: As soon as you have it finished. It is like building a house, building a life. What if you just started laying bricks and somebody asks, "What are you building?"

And you say, "I have no idea." See they would come and take you away to a safe place. So, don't start the house until you finish it. Now, is it possible to finish the house before you start it? Yes, but it would be foolish to start before you had it finished. Not a bad time management idea. Don't start the day until it is pretty well finished -- at least the outline of the day. Leave some room to improvise. Leave some room for extra strategies, but finish it before you start it.

And here is the next piece that is a little more challenging: Do not start the week until you have it finished. Lay it out, structure it, then put it to work. Then the next one is a little tougher yet; do not start the month until you have it finished. And finally the big one, don't start the year until it is
finished on paper. It's not a bad idea, toward the end of the year, to sit down with your family for the family structure plans, sit down in your business for the business plans, sit down with your financial advisor for your investments and map out the year... properties to buy, properties to sell, places to go with your family, lay out the year. I finally learned to do that. It was also helpful for my family to show them where they appeared on my calendar. You know I used to have my business things on there and I used to have my lectures and my seminars all laid out on my calendar, and guess what the children said, "Where are we on the game plan, please show us our names on the game plan." So you need to do it for your children, for your spouse, for your friends.

Now, here is the third step to success, and it can be really challenging. Learning to handle the passing of time. It takes time to build a career, it takes time to make changes, so give your project time, give your people time. If you're working with people, give them time to learn, grow, change, develop, produce. And here is the big one, give yourself time. It takes time to master something new. It takes time to make altered changes and refinement in
philosophy as well as activity.

Give yourself time to learn, time to get it, time to start some momentum, time to finally achieve. It is easy to be impatient with yourself. I remember when I first tried to learn to tie my shoes. The shoe strings, it seemed like it would take me forever. Finally I got it and it didn't take forever, but it seemed like for a while I'd never learn, I'd get it backwards; the bow goes up and down instead of across. How do I straighten that out? Finally I got it, it just took time.

Mama taught me a little bit about playing the piano. "Here is the left hand scale", she'd say. I got that, it was easy.Then she said, "Here is the right hand scale." I got that", that was easy. Now she said, "We are going to play both hands at the same time." I said, "Well, how can you do that?" Now one at a time was easy... but at the same time? Looking at this hand and looking at that hand, finally I got it. Finally I got where I could play the scales with both hands. Then I remember the day she said, "Now we are going to read the music and play with both hands." I thought, "You can't do all that." But you know, sure enough I'm looking at the music, looking at each hand, a little confused at first, but finally I mastered it. It took a little time to read the music and play with both hands. Then I remember the day she said, "Now we are going to watch the audience, read the music and play with both hands. I thought, "Now that is going too far!" How could you possibly do that? But see adding them one at a time and giving myself time to
master one before we went to the next one; sure enough I got to where I could watch the audience, read the music and play with both hands.

So the lesson here is: Give yourself time, you can become a better pro, you can better master the art of parenting, you can better master the art of managing time, conserving resources, working together as a partner. Give yourself time.

And here's the last one; learning to solve problems. Business problems, family problems, financial problems, emotional problems, etc. -- challenges for us all. Here's the best way to treat a problem: As an opportunity to grow. Change if you have to, modify if you must, discard an old philosophy that wasn't working well for a new one. The best phrase my mentor ever gave me was when he said, "Mr. Rohn if you will change, everything will change for you." Wow, I took that to heart, and sure enough the more I changed the more everything changed for me.

So learn to master good ideas, have good plans, handle the passing of time and solve problems, and you will be on your way to more success than you could ever imagine!

To Your Success,
Jim Rohn